NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have MMATTS components and an MMATTS amp and they sound phenominal now im ready to get rid of my old 12' RF DVCs and RF 800 watt amp, any suggestions? im going strictly for sound quality and am thinking of either two or three 10' subs

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
The JL 10w6's are also awesome sounding subs. But the 10w7 would be a lot louder. Diamond audio 10's are great subs, too. Why are you going with 10's? I would highly recommend running either one 10w7 or a 12w3v2. I think any 10 besides the w7 won't give you what you want for SQ reasons.

A friend of mine ran a 10" Diamond Audio sub in his Dodge Ram truck for a few years (he also competes with me) and had good luck. I "forced" him to make a new box (molded into the center seat) and told him to use my JL 12w3. He said that listening to it, even with out the box fully sealed and no polyfill, he said he doesn't understand why he used a 10" for so long. And remember, he is NOT a bass head.

Just my .02

Curt

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i want 10s because you can run them at higher hertzs and it will play faster mid-bass notes that you wouldnt hear from a 12' my components are 4.5 with seperate tweeters in the front and 6x9 in the rear and they handle highs and mid-range awesome and i want better mid-bass i dont mess with really low bass anymore. RATIFIED sounds like he has a nice setup i have a pioneer deck and a phoenix gold cap but everything else is MMATTS

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
Is there any room to custom mount some 6.5" up front?That would give you mid-bass up front. One problem with running subs at the higher freq ( if they are trunk mounted) is that your soundstage gets pulled back behind you.

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
oneflyasianguy, I used to have a 10" Eclipse sub, which I thought sounded really great. Now I have a JL 12w7, and the 12" w7 puts out a ton more mid bass than my 10" eclipse did, so I would definately reccomend the w7's to you.

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
oneflyasianguy said:
i want 10s because you can run them at higher hertzs and it will play faster mid-bass notes that you wouldnt hear from a 12' my components are 4.5 with seperate tweeters in the front and 6x9 in the rear and they handle highs and mid-range awesome and i want better mid-bass i dont mess with really low bass anymore. RATIFIED sounds like he has a nice setup i have a pioneer deck and a phoenix gold cap but everything else is MMATTS
Well, some subs will easily play up to around 100Hz. I don't see any reason to play rear subs any higher than that.

And there is a misconception when it comes to speaker size. A 10" sub won't really play the mid-bass "quicker" than a 12" sub. Most sound quality guys actually PREFER running a 12" sub rather than a 10" because the 12" will have MORE mid-bass. If you compare a JL 10w6 to a JL 12w6, there is no difference in "quickness" of the mid-bass. The only way you might notice a difference between a 10 and 12 in speed is going from a 10" JL Audio sub to a 12" K-Mart Blue Light Special.

I would highly recommend running a 12" sub compared a 10". You will be much happier in the long run. And hey, don't say you don't listen to low bass. I listen to my competition CD's which have Jazz, Vocal, Classical, etc, and there is music that is judged playing at 18Hz, which is below listening level, but you can feel it. And trust me, if it's not there, the scores show it.

Curt

·
Registered
137 Posts
I think everyone is going to have differing opinions so in the end I think you'll probably have to decide for yourself, but to add my two cents... I've been running eclipse titanium 12's for a year now and have been very pleased. I was interested in sound quality as well and think that they've been a good choice. I tried w7's after they came out in the same box, but preffered the titaniums. I tried running h?2 fosgates (they're the most expensive ones and I want to say hx2 but I think that may be the step below what we actually tried). Anyway, Eclipse was my favorite. I'm not an expert by any means, but have dabbled in car audio since I could drive if that helps weight my review. I've never competed, but have attended two competitions and received rave reviews of the system. My components are mb quartz, all amps are jl's, box is a custom fiberglass and my deck is eclipse

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.