NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 113 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now this is not looking very promising to me. I'm right on the east coast, minutes from the beach. And now there's a fvcking hurricane heading this way. My mom is flipping out. We were supposed to be moving into our new house this weekend, but I don't think that's going to happen. We have 5 cats and a bird that we have to take with us wherever we go, so shelters are out. We're probably going to take whatever boxes we can fit in our cars and drive somewhere. In the opposite direction of wherever this stupid storm is going.

I feel bad for hoping it avoids my family and me. Mainly because if I hope it goes south, it screws with you South Florida people, and you guys have already had a couple horrible hurricanes go through. If I say "GO NORTH!" it screws with the people in Georgia and North/South Carolina that have had to deal with so much in the past couple months from storms.

I just have to keep my fingers crossed that Titusville isn't going to take a direct hit, or that we know almost for sure where it's going so my family and I can get the hell out of dodge and avoid it.

Anyone else taking this storm super serious now? Anyone else (Aside from Dan) planning to head out of town/state? I just hope everyone takes this seriously enough to prepare for power outtages now that we know how long it takes the power to get back on if you're in a hard hit area. Good luck finding everything you need. Fingers and toes are crossed for all.

-Heather

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
lol im actually going into town.....i hope it hits gainesville...with all these damn trees here school will HAVE to be shutdown for a couple days

·
Registered
721 Posts
Im in Jax. :fingerscrossed: The last one kinda didnt touch us at all. But I heard Punta Gorda had big casualties.

·
Registered
5,207 Posts
as long as it doesn't go south i dont care where it hits......i dont want to go home to help board up and bring all the damn orchids inside.....not to mention the football game..

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
I'm was going South regardless of the storm, I'm just going sooner now so I don't get caught up in any of the outer bands while driving down. Only reason I left last time was for the safety of my car. Same reason this time, however I had Labor Day weekend plans in the Keys.

Pinoyspd17 said:
Im in Jax. :fingerscrossed: The last one kinda didnt touch us at all. But I heard Punta Gorda had big casualties.
Punta Gorda suffered such big casualties for two reasons. 1) The majority of the severe damage and death occured in trailer parks. Trailer parks simply do not hold up in a hurricane. When I was in Andrew I was about 50miles away from the eye with winds around 100mph and the trailer parks 5-10mins away from me did not fare well either. 2) A lot of the other damage was aimed at older buildings. Punta Gorda has an extremely old infrastructure with a minimal amount of new buildings. Only recently has the rest of the state of Florida had to have full hurricane code.

With that said, Charley was no Andrew. When you compare pictures from the destruction it appears to be similar because destruction always looks the same. The difference is that Andrew plowed down brand new houses built to hurricane code. We're not talking a few houses, but entire neighborhoods.

I'm not saying what happened in Punta Gorda isn't bad, but it certainly was overhyped after landfall.

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
if you make it here on time before the rain starts... maybe we can go for a quick run up SR84... :chuckles:
R

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
I am not too worried about it yet, but then again I wasnt worried about Charley either. I hope it goes north if it does come.

·
Registered
588 Posts
po9i said:
dan just wait and see where it turns first
What's the point of waiting to see where it turns? We were going to go home anyways for the long weekend; now, we'll just have an extra day of vacation.

·
Registered
5,377 Posts
:werd:

Not to mention regardless of where it goes the highway is gonna have some real crappy driving conditions.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
So take the turnpike. I wouldnt want to be on 95 this weekend. Too many accidents
(wind + rain + frantic drivers + stupid people = certain death)

·
Registered
5,377 Posts

I was planning on taking the turnpike anyway. Tolls will be lifted :)

·
Registered
438 Posts
I'm having a Party, whose down

1 - 20 of 113 Posts