NewCelica.org Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is to end all the fuking idiocy being spread about street racing, at least in the racing section, as I really can't expect to have any impact on anything further than this section.

Street Racing carries with it, and inherent social stigma. The American Media loves to prey on suffering, tragic events, fear, and death. Due, in part, to the vast stupidity of teenagers these days, you hear about COUNTLESS street racing related deaths. It's all the more tragic when you hear someone died who was just an innocent passerbye who had absolutely nothing to do with the race at all. The vast majority of these deaths that people hear about, are usually all directly related to a severe lack of common sense on the part of the racer. This includes, but is not limited to: L-O-C-A-T-I-O-N.

Now for some people, they fail to realize that there are not race track conveniently built every 50 miles across the United States. Some people will cop this; Hollier Than Thou attitude, because they lack the sense of self confidence to form an opinion of their own apart from what the media spoon feeds them. These are the very same people who will tell you they hope you crash simply because you are participating in an activity they prefer not to participate in.

The reality is, most street racing deaths are directly related to poor lack of selection for race location. ANY road with obstructions, or obstacles (regardless if they're on the SIDE of the road or not) is dangerous. It is the NATURE of racing to push a vehicle to it's limits, and (unless your racing a 1960's bug which finishes the 1/4mile before it gets to 60mph) because of this, fish tailing, and slight or even severe loss of control is not uncommon, on the track or street. What does racing at a track accomplish? Well, at a track, you don't have to use common sense, it's all regulated so even the dumbest of the ******** can go race his muscle car, and not put others in severe danger.

You can also accomplish many safety issues that they take care of at the track. When choosing your location, don't choose a road with light poles, trees, houses, buildings of ANY kind, traffic, parked cars, any sort of population (apart from the racers). When racing on farm roads like we race on, you actually eliminate a very dangerous aspect of racing at the track...the wall. For those of you who haven't heard the story, my Great Uncle died in his Shelby modified Ford Fairlane (it was a solid 10 second car) due to the walls at the race track. When you apply so much weight in a forward motion like that, accelerating so quickly, when you hit the wall, the direction of the energy is changed, and what would might have been a survivable accident, was turned into a horrific scene. The walls are there to keep the racer in his lane, and they did a very good job of that, the other car hit back and forth numerous times on each wall before finally building up enough lateral energy to jump the wall, flip 20 feet in the air, and come down on my Uncle's Fairlane. He was decapitated.

I've also had some people I've known personally die in street racing accidents as well. Every single incident could have been avoided by racing where we race. (I'm sorry for having to talk about this guys, but I think it will help) One guy, in our car club, had a wife (soon to be Mother) who decided to race a coworker on an industrial road they thought to be safe. I raced on this road a few times in my earlier racing years, but have since turned down every race offered to me at that location since then. At any rate, she lost control of her vehicle and hit a parked tractor trailer at 70-80mph. Her and her child both died. A good friend of mine from Santa Barbara said goodbye to his little brother during his last days in the hospital when he decided it would be a good idea to race like in Initial D on one of our local trecherous mountain roads. He was so badly injured that he pretty much just bled to death internally until he looked like a big red balloon.

The point is, people die on the street, but when you take the number of people who die street racing, who take all the precautions we take, I think you'd have a statistic very similar to that of track related deaths.

Street racing itself is no more stupid than every day drivers. It's the location, motivation, and common sense involved that determines if it's stupid or not.

Some people like to believe that street racing is exactly how it is depicted in movies like Fast and Furious. They think that people are all out there to get their "props" and cash. They neglect to understand that often times there are just the two people racing, and whoever was with them at the time the race was set up. There are no vast audiences of people, they don't race because they think they're in a movie. Sometimes someone gets a new modification on their car, they've already raced other said car, and they want to see if the results change at all from the last time they raced said car. It's about testing what your vehicle is capable of in a real world environment. People think that any people street racing, do it in crowded industrial areas like in the movies. They refuse to understand the concept of responsible street racing, much the same as responsible speeding. There DOES exist a time and a place for everything. You don't go over 10mph faster when you're passing a big truck (they often swerve into your lane), but when there is no longer traffic in front of you, (provided your car is in good condition) 80-85mph can be reasonably safe. It's the same thing with racing...it's very simple, you don't race where people are, and you don't do it near anything your car could hit.

In the situation I usually talk about, the worst thing that would happen, is the cars would make contact with each other, and bounce away from each other...they might spin out into a field of lettuce, and they might even flip, but they won't flip into a pole, a tree, a house, a parked car, a person, etc...much like the track, only the racers are in danger.

So for those of you who always bash people who even MENTION the words Street Racing, try to come off your high horses for one second and use your fuking heads.

With that said, the vast majority of street racers are stupid little fuks who don't think of anything but themselves, and fail to use ANY common sense when racing, or chosing a location.

Anyway, this probably was a waste of time, because seeing the maturity level from these very same people who act so much more mature than us "stupid street racers"...is laughable. Oh well, we'll see.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
seriously.. i mean if you chose to race with other racers.. you both know what could be the outcome, NOW.. if you race with racers in a farm road like i do at a time no one else is out on a CLOSED rd whats the big deal?.. if something were to happen to me itd be my fault, besides whats gonna happen?.. im gonna be racing and between shifts im gonna decide to answer my cell phone because its ringing and lose control? wtf, if you dont like it dont say anything about it because its taken up forum space and nobody gives a damn specially if we know what we are doing, that goes for BUTT DYNO and SLasherX who i suspect USED to street race but screwed up and changed their too fast too furious ways.. but listen.. sometimes it takes for some to screw up and learn (them) and some took necessary precautions, have the responsability needed and dont feel the need to do it on crowded popular streets so our hip "homies" can see us in our "dope ass" rides

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Slasher used to street race until his V6 Mustang kept getting spanked on by $500DSMs...which is why he has one now.

And TRD, you have to refrain from taking the extreme side, no you don't have to answer your cell phone to have something happen, you never know what can happen when you're accelerating as fast as your car will let you, or racing in ANY way shape or form. The one point they DO have you can't argue with, is anything can happen on the street.

I wish we had a closed road like that around here I could race on, but ours is just as good in the way that is has absolutely not vegetation other than lettuce, and we can see approaching cars several minutes before they even come near us, and thats IF they take the roads that would be required to come to us.

The thing they neglect to acknowledge is the fact that people with common sense, stay alive. I know it's kind of a brutal thing to say considering the personal experiences I've had with racing and death, but even at the track, things can happen. I'm just tired of them acting like if you go to the track somehow all the dangerous of racing are somehow magically eliminated. There are just as many dangers racing at a drag strip as there are racing on a farm road.

·
Registered
154 Posts
XFactor95SupraT said:

try to cum off your high horses for one second and blow my fuking head.

With that said, the vast majority of street racers are stupid little fuks who want even lick my *******.

Anyway, this probably was a waste of time, because no matter how much I cry and complain im not gonna get any **** in my ass

Wow, hang in there bro.

·
Registered
285 Posts
I think both sides have their points.
Originally posted by XFactor95SupraT

The thing they neglect to acknowledge is the fact that people with common sense, stay alive. I know it's kind of a brutal thing to say considering the personal experiences I've had with racing and death, but even at the track, things can happen. I'm just tired of them acting like if you go to the track somehow all the dangerous of racing are somehow magically eliminated. There are just as many dangers racing at a drag strip as there are racing on a farm road.
that's true. But I guess SlasherX and the others have probably heard it all before, about people who thought they knew what they were doing and ended up hurting themselves and others. It's called "crying wolf". If both parties could meet in the middle and acknowledge that there are risks involved in everything, and that in most cases the track IS safer, they could all agree.

·
Registered
1,647 Posts
Originally posted by blueTRD
I think both sides have their points.

that's true. But I guess SlasherX and the others have probably heard it all before, about people who thought they knew what they were doing and ended up hurting themselves and others. It's called "crying wolf". If both parties could meet in the middle and acknowledge that there are risks involved in everything, and that in most cases the track IS safer, they could all agree.

SlasherX has streetracing FnF style in his head tahts the problem, that might have been what he's seen and done, but what me and the xfactor guys do is totally different, if you race.. you race.. you die then you fukin die, thats how it is.. i know it sounds stupid but thats reality.. its something i like to do and i know what could happen but everyone i do it with thinks the same, leave to us what we do

SlasherX: "any form of street racing is stupid, i keep it safe and legal at the track"

well thats good he's keepin it as safe as he thinks he can, but if you think the same about all forms of street racing then fuk him and fuk you too

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
I'd just like to add that if you are going to be street racing you should actually be MORE aggressive with safety equipment than tracks require. Cages are a great idea and a well mage cage an helmet will help you live through some unbelievable stuff.

on the other side of the coin, the reson tracks are "so much safer" is that there is a crew of folks that inspect it and continually monitor it for spills, debris, or anything that would make it unsafe. Also the chances of anything besides the guy you are racing (Ie: rabbits, dogs, whatever) entering the track are minimal at best. I do agree about the walls though - they are there for the safety of the spectators, not the racers.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Re: Re: The Reality of Street Racing

03SilverGTS said:
I'm a fuking douchebag and I can't think of anything to say, so I'm going to click quote and then change what people say because I have an unhealthy preoccupation with people's asses and my penis, it's all I think about, homosexual intercourse.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Boosted2.0 said:
I'd just like to add that if you are going to be street racing you should actually be MORE aggressive with safety equipment than tracks require. Cages are a great idea and a well mage cage an helmet will help you live through some unbelievable stuff.

on the other side of the coin, the reson tracks are "so much safer" is that there is a crew of folks that inspect it and continually monitor it for spills, debris, or anything that would make it unsafe. Also the chances of anything besides the guy you are racing (Ie: rabbits, dogs, whatever) entering the track are minimal at best. I do agree about the walls though - they are there for the safety of the spectators, not the racers.
exactly, walls are a serious danger to the races, I guess it's an advantage for the guy who doesn't screw up because then the other guy doesn't bounce off his car, but I've seen a car lose control in the situations that we usually race in, they were going roughly 90-100mph, and both suffered minor dings on the opposing doors, and the initiating car spun out into a field and peeled one of the tires off.

life itself is inherently dangerous, and many of the things I do involve an assumed risk. Mountain climbing, sparring, target shooting, etc. But I wear a harness, and rope as well as a helment for falling rocks, a climbing buddy etc, sparring we avoid certain contact areas (Like the nose, joints, and other things easily broken), I mean, yeah, I could hit the car I'm racing, I could hurt him and myself, but at least it's only going to be us.

Just because it's a against the law for me to race, doesn't mean that it's wrong, if I feel I can do it in a way in which none of society (or any citizen not actively participating in said event) are in danger, and retain at least some degree of civic duty, and responsibility.

·
Registered
868 Posts
There's one advantage when I race at the track - an ambulance and emergency crew / fire fighters standing by at the scene ready to help. Not too mention the usual flock of tow trucks circling like vultures waiting for the fallout :chuckles:

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
voidhawk said:
There's one advantage when I race at the track - an ambulance and emergency crew / fire fighters standing by at the scene ready to help. Not too mention the usual flock of tow trucks circling like vultures waiting for the fallout :chuckles:
This is true - waiting in the middle of nowhere for a towtruck to show up sucks.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Just because you pick a good location doesnt mean idiots wont show up and magically be transformed into non idiots.

the place I race by my house (usually alone for practice :) ) is a long road with dirt on both sides. no side streets, no houses, nothing. I've seen people demolish their cars there being stupid. 2 lane road 1 west 1 east and I've seen things like 4 people at a time go racing. I've seen people simply lose control for no apparent reason and be thrown into the dirt.

My favorite was an eclipse that attempted to brake but got outa control at well over 100 mph hit the dirt so hard half the car got buried in the sand. Lucky for him it was only dirt.

any time you race it's a risk. doesnt matter when or where track or not.

I think it's stupid to start this thread cause racing is dangerous boohoo everyone knows it. It's NEVER gonna stop and whining isnt gonna help. :gap: If it's your time to die it's your time and nothing will change that.

IMO street racing deaths are typically darwinism at it's finest. sometimes innocent people get mixed up in the madness and that sux but $hit happens.

I dont condone street racing in public areas but with the amount of tracks closing down it's only gonna get worse.

Basically, $hit happens, you cant change it and stop whining :)

·
Registered
154 Posts
00silverGTS6spd said:
Just because you pick a good location doesnt mean idiots wont show up and magically be transformed into non idiots.

the place I race by my house (usually alone for practice :) ) is a long road with dirt on both sides. no side streets, no houses, nothing. I've seen people demolish their cars there being stupid. 2 lane road 1 west 1 east and I've seen things like 4 people at a time go racing. I've seen people simply lose control for no apparent reason and be thrown into the dirt.

My favorite was an eclipse that attempted to brake but got outa control at well over 100 mph hit the dirt so hard half the car got buried in the sand. Lucky for him it was only dirt.

any time you race it's a risk. doesnt matter when or where track or not.

I think it's stupid to start this thread cause racing is dangerous boohoo everyone knows it. It's NEVER gonna stop and whining isnt gonna help. :gap: If it's your time to die it's your time and nothing will change that.

IMO street racing deaths are typically darwinism at it's finest. sometimes innocent people get mixed up in the madness and that sux but $hit happens.

I dont condone street racing in public areas but with the amount of tracks closing down it's only gonna get worse.

Basically, $hit happens, you cant change it and stop whining :)
Notice you have thing for Eclipses, must have gotten owned by a few.

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by 03SilverGTS
Notice you have thing for Eclipses, must have gotten owned by a few.
Be nice now. BTW your email didnt work.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.