·
Registered
4,466 Posts
4g63

·
Professional Carsmith
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #186
So I started making the gussets that will join the cage to the unibody, btw this takes FOREVER. I started with the A-pillars:

If you look on top of the dash bar you'll see the overhead gusset that will join the top of the windshield to the halo bar. If you excuse the mess on the inside of the car you can also see the seat mounting structure I made:

The center tunnel will be getting replaced with an aluminum skin on a steel frame. I had to do this to shift the driver and passenger seats closer to each other as will as down and back in the car. The tunnel still has to remain as that's where the oil, water, and fuel lines will be run up and down the chassis to the engine.

·
Professional Carsmith
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #189
Small update. Redid the front end to get a little more tire room and get rid of the rest of the frame rails. The setup in the picture is about halfway done, just tacked together right now. Got a couple more tubes to make as well as a new center section before I weld it all up.

·
Professional Carsmith
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #191
Wow, haven't updated this in a bit. Well I finished the front. Started with the two lower subframe mount tubes:

Then I made a center tube for the front engine mount and put it in double shear at the front bar and the subframe.

This setup makes removing sh*t A LOT easier and also give me more room for tire by eliminating the forward most section of framerail. I also had to finish boxing the framerails and added small supports for the long forward diagonals. I've moved on to the inside of the car again, I have to make a rear firewall to separate the cabin from the rear section of the car where the oil tank, fuel cell, and radiator will be housed. I've also been splitting my time between my car and this thing, because having 1 project just isn't enough :marky::

·
Professional Carsmith
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #196
Finally got back to work on the Celica. You can see above that I had to cut out the center exhaust tunnel to get the two seats to clear the doors. SO, I had to make a new one. I framed it up today and got about halfway through skinning it with steel on the sides. The top will be aluminum with a removable access panel to get to the fluid lines and filters that will run through it.

·
Professional Carsmith
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #197
Been forever since I updated this. Unfortunatley work is slow (been busy). BUT I'm almost done with the floor pan and I picked up a nice set of CCW wheels. Going to start assembling the drivetrain and getting it mocked up soon too!

·
Professional Carsmith
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #199
Did you do some FEA on that cage?
Yep! Back before I started ordering all the tubing and whatnot. That's what lead to some of the hardpoints I used (the passenger seat bulkhead/B-pillar as opposed to the floor, the addition of the FIA bar, etc) as well as some of the decisions on the bracing.

Anyway, I FINALLY got to do some more fab work. A lot of my time (when I'm not at work!) has been going into modeling stuff up in SW for the suspension and engine. OH! I also picked up a sponsor who was willing to help me out so I can get the new engine/tranny situated in the car! (more on that later)

I started mocking up the seat/steering/harness stuff this weekend while I was waiting on some more materials to come in. It was kind of a PITA as the seating position has been moved back so far, so I had to bend a little tube and make an extension off the main dash bar to get it at the right angle. It's all tacked up in the pictures, just have to finish welding it and add some gusseting off the main bar. I also got the harness clip points figured out but I'm waiting on the damn eyebolts to come in.

·
Professional Carsmith
6,311 Posts
Discussion Starter #200 (Edited)
Made the front A-pillar gussets the other day. Normally the FIA bar intersects the door bars. The roofline of the Celica prevents this from happening so my FIA bars ended up terminating inboard of the door bars. While this isn't necessarily a bad thing it means the FIA bar isn't tied into the door bar structure. The other thing that made me nervous is how steeply the Celica's A-pillar is raked backward. So I decided to gusset the A-pillar bars to the A-pillars and FIA bars in order to try and reinforce this area.

My adapter also came in which means I can start getting the engine/tranny situated in the car. It also means DDPR is going to start offering K-swaps for the Celica in addition to the MR2 Spyder K-swaps we already do!

181 - 200 of 226 Posts