NewCelica.org Forum banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
625 Posts
To prep the surface down to remove all contaminents I would wash to remove all suface dirt and grime. Wipe with vinegar to remove all wax and any other sealants. Wash with car shampoo, rinse, do not dry and use car wash mixture to clay with instead of the detailing solution they provide with the bar. Rinse to remove all suds and wash again for good measure. You can omit the last wash and just dry after the rinse.

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
The vinegar really doesn't serve any purpose. The clay will remove any wax on the car.

If you do use a dilute mixture of water and soap instead of the spray that comes with the clay bar, I do suggest that you carry out a full wash after the clay step. Just rinsing after may not get all the soap off if it has dried while you take your time claying.

·
Registered
625 Posts
bme you sound like an autopian. I actually find that when using vinegar as a prep step the claying step is far easier as the actual contaminents usually removed when claying are stuck in my LSP or sealants and not so much directly on my paint. If you remove the LSP and sealants then the contaminents in them lose their bond to them and are removed easier with less passes. Kind of tough to describe but it makes sense.

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
Yes, I'm over there from time to time. Only for personal research of products/procedures. Don't post much, just read.

I see what you're saying with the vinegar. It's just that I've never had a "hard" time claying. I'm already lubricating the surface and moving my arm back and forth over the whole car. I think I'd rather take 2 more arm passes per section than bathe my car in the wonderful smell of vinegar.

Have you ever tried 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover insted of the vinegar? I'd think it would result the same, without the smell, but at a higher cost.

·
Registered
625 Posts
bme107 said:
Yes, I'm over there from time to time. Only for personal research of products/procedures. Don't post much, just read.

I see what you're saying with the vinegar. It's just that I've never had a "hard" time claying. I'm already lubricating the surface and moving my arm back and forth over the whole car. I think I'd rather take 2 more arm passes per section than bathe my car in the wonderful smell of vinegar.

Have you ever tried 3M General Purpose Adhesive Remover instead of the vinegar? I'd think it would result the same, without the smell, but at a higher cost.
Yeah I am only on there for personal and family use too. I have never used the 3M stuff though, might be worth looking into as smelling like a pickle is not very attractive. I have noticed though that if I do not strip the wax off with vinegar prior to claying I get much more micromaring which means more time with the PC and resorting to SSR2.5 with a blue pad.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
not sure if this was answered but can you use clay bar on carbon fiber products(ie. Hoods, scoops)?

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
It is fine to use a clay bar on the headlights. You can even use it on the glass. In either case you will have to clean them afterwards to get rid of the smearing from quick detailer spray.

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
Is a claybar safe to use on Carbon Fiber?

·
Registered
136 Posts
is the liquid clay bar any good Turtle Wax - Ice Liquid Clay Bar? any reviews on this

·
Registered
868 Posts
I purchased the mothers brand with the quick detailer and carnuba wax. I'm very impressed with how much dirt came off after a wash and dry. Dirty water just rolled right off the car, I was blown away. Not nearly as blown away as after I waxed my car.

Plus the quik detailer spray smells cinnamony. :D

·
Registered
6,522 Posts
You don't need to clay bar that often. Once, maybe twice a year depending on the environmental conditions you drive/park in. Waxing once a month is a good schedule.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts