NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i rebuilt the engine a few months ago...have about 4000miles on it and it ran like a champ.

last night the oil temp suddenly rised from 210 to 260 as i was getting off the highway

as i go to pull off the exit...i hear the sound i heard when my rod bearings went a few months ago...

what would have caused the increase in oil temperature like that...I cant believe i have to pull this engine out again...

A buddy of mine said the connecting rod bolts can stretch and cause a bearing to go out...im hoping since i reused the old ones that this did not happen...

opinions please?

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
I don't frankly believe simply putting in new bearings will solve the problem. A second failure is inexitable. I bet you'll find you spun the same bearing as before.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The block isnt the same block as i originally had the bearing go out on. I bought a spare that was used and rebuilt that one...

I was thinking about getting it driveable with minimal work and trading it in finally...

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
I second Jesse. Your block may be different but if you used the internals of your original one in the rebuilt block and one of your rods was out of round chances are you will end up spinning a bearing again. Could it be that your oil pump failed and because of that your bearings went? Just a thought.

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
im gonna turn it over when i get home and see what the oil pressure reads and ill let you guys know...

no oil pressure means the oil pump failed, correct?

is it worth taking compression before i drain the oil and remove the oil filter?

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
oil pressure was around 80-90 when i started the engine...

compression is good in every cylinder as well...

I pulled the oil pan and found metal shavings...i then proceded to pull off a connecting rod cap and found the spun bearing

·
Registered
1,562 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
no. opposite end

the bearing is weird looking too...

both pieces...the one end is wider at one end...what would have caused that?

ill get pics up of it...

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
The bearing may look weird to you but that is what happens when you spin a bearing. The indentation that holds the bearing in place lets go, and since the material has no way to go but sideways you endup with a bearing that is wider and flatter. I will suggest you have your crankshaft refinished with oversize bearings and check your rods for out of round.

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
A trade in on a car with a blown engine is basically worthless. This is why I tell people not to cheap out on repairs. Why don't you get a junk yard 2ZZ and then sell off the pieces of yours.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts