NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello everyone. Recently I have been looking for a car that gets good gas mileage. I have a 2010 dodge cummins with a 5" lift and 35's. I drive an hour round trip to work and back, and I have been getting 13mpg..

I had a girl I knew in high school message me telling me her car was going to be going up for sale...It is a black 2003 celica GT all stock...I can pick it up for 2800 bucks...I didn't think that was too bad of a price.

I went and looked at the car today. Overall the car isn't in bad shape. Come to find out, my dad was her dad's best man in his wedding a long time ago. Her dad is an honest guy, and he wouldn't lie to me.

Anyway, they got the car back from getting spark plugs, new tires, and an oil change. The car under WOT will basically not gain any speed or pull any higher RPMs. If you let off to about 3/4, it kicks down and runs good. The car does have some high miles....There are 213,xxx miles on it.

There is a check engine light, and he said that it noted as a lean condition. He said that they checked for vacuum leaks, tested the fuel pump pressure, and tested the regulator and all checked out good. They are really suspecting that one or more of the injectors aren't spraying right. He said he was going to take it back to the shop, and there is a place in town that will rebuild them for 20 bucks a piece with a 1 year warranty. He said he would like to get it fixed before he sells it to me. He said the car wont be any higher, he just wants to sell it knowing that its running fine.

I took it down the road, suspension seems tight, ball joints, wheel bearings...etc all seem good and tight. I noticed once that the steering wheel may have shook a bit when stopping, but it was a bumpy road so it may have been the rd, or it may need a couple rotors.

Interior has a spot on the passenger side where the headliner has started to come out, there is wear on the steering wheel and shifter which is expected...Seats have a few burns in them...I figured that I would throw some decent seat covers on them (any suggestions?) ...All body pannels inside seem good and not broke. CD player that is in it is old, and will replace it...speakers aren't loud, but that's no biggie, I am an electronics nut, and will replace that.

Outside of the car, has a small dent on the top by the sunroof where it looks like a golf ball may have hit it, and there is a ding on the rear drivers side fender...Factory wheels were peeling in the the middle, but no biggie, because I was wanting to put new wheels on it anyway. I was thinking 17's...No solid black...Wouldn't mind some black and silver wheels, or some chrome wheels.

Motor seems sound...It idles good, it drives good minus the issue at WOT. The valve cover is leaking a bit so I will be changing that after I get it...He said oil has always been changed at 3k miles with 10-30.

I have found out that the car DOES actually have cruise control. Initially she told me that it didn't. However, it is not working. She said she always forgets that it is there because it doesn't work, lol. I don't get a light at all on the dash when I press the button to turn it on. I checked the fuse, it was the bottom left big one on the right side of all the little fuses, and all 4 were good. I am not sure if the switch is bad, or if the switch is not getting power for some reason. I had done some reading and saw where I needed to trace the wires to the module and check the cables there.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thats quite a few miles but celicas are known to be very reliable. On the lean fuel problem maybe try replacing the O2 sensors if they havent been looked at already? I have an 03gt and i have the same issue with the cruise control I was going to try taking the steering wheel apart and checking connections/switch but it really hasnt been a very urgent fix for me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

·
Poopin' on Scrubz
3,744 Posts
If I were you, I'd skip out on this one and look elsewhere... Every so often you can find a nice clean GT-S six speed in this area, but not all the time.

Save your money and get something with fewer miles and fewer headaches, you'll be happy you did. Just spend the extra money and get something that will make you happy and something that will last.

·
Registered Beer User
375 Posts
Clean the MAF on that baby. Ensure it's a 2003+ because all GT's before that had oil burning issues.

After that, it's up to you. Just know that GT's are SLOW and keep your mindset to that it's a economy car.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.