NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok, i just reciently hit the 600 mile mark on the break in period for my new gripforce stage 2 clutch, and today i seafoamed my engine so i drove my car around just like i'm supposed to when you seafoam an engine, and when i would hit 8,200 rpm's i would shift but i would grind out my second gear, EVERY TIME! the only time i didn't grind my 2nd gear was when i would hold in the clutch SLAM the stick into second gear and start driving again, but taking the time to do all this defeats the purpose of trying to race. and on top of that, whenever i do my regular driving, it's still hard as hell to get the stick into whichever gear i'm trying to shift into and sometimes third gear completely sticks in between shifts and won't go into third. i just don't understand what's goin on! do you guys think the clutch is messed up, did i screw up my shifter linkage when i put in the new clutch, are my syncros messed up? anything like this ever happen to you guys? lemme know what you all think. thanks.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Might just be getting used to the new clutch. Maybe your engagement point?? I would change your tranny fluid, run some redline mt-90 then grease up your shift linkage and see if that changes anything.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
3 questions:
1) is that redline mt-90 really all that good, i mean i put in brand new transmission fluid when i changed my clutch and flywheel, shouldn't that still be running good?
2) i have no idea how to grease up my shift linkage, i had a friend who helped me out w/ the clutch install and he did that part of the work, any pages w/ walkthroughs on here?
3) also, do they make performance clutch linkage to help make the shifting for racing or even daily driving any easier?

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
2ng gear syncro is stuck or toast

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
You didn't put that seafoam crap in the tranny did you? If so drain and replace your fluid. Might want to try that anyways actually and see of the syncro frees up.

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,104 Posts
I have a similar problem too. I just think my 2nd gear synchro is messed up because i only have problems when trying to shift really fast in this gear...Mind you, i am running fairly poor quality gear oil, if that's of any relevance.

Would the redline mt-90 stuff really make a softer and slicker gearchange?

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
sure might if the problem seems to get worse once you've been driving a while - a lot of folks in Arizona and hotter climates have found this to be the case.

·
Registered
656 Posts
I need to change mine to some redline MT-90 I have been slacking lately. But if that doesn't help then try the extended push rod. If that doesn't help then look at faulty install. The last thing you wanna do is to have to reinstall your clutch.

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
Make sure the clutch disengage properly. It would react like your describing if it does not disengage totally. Even tho grinding gears is usually syncro related. Try setting the clutch height from the driver seat. It might need adjustment. You might need the extended pushrod even tho I do recomend to avoid it when possible.

Do u have the stock flywheel? An after market clutch/fw combo might affect the engagement and disengagement points ...

Mine did that at first after installing clucth/flywheel and replacing 2nd/3rd gears. Especially third gear and pulling the first out of the gear. The third was actually worst than before imo. I then changed the pushrod. Then, it was better for a while. Until my pressure plate broke. That failure might be caused by the pushrod or by pressure plate quality, but who knows really? I then replaced the pressure plate. Then, later, my 3rd was gone ... Caused by the drivetrain mods combo or a bad fix of the gears? Again, who knows!? IMO, this was all caused by the disengagement problem I had from the begining. I (and the mechanics as well) were never able to set it perfect. Soo .. be carefull and dont drive the car too much if it doesnt look right! Make sure to fix the problem first.

It used to be worst when cold. Once it reached it's normal temperature, it was better even tho, never perfect.

Now, I have a brand new tranny, no extended pushrod and the same brand of clutch and everything is peeerfect so far!!! It's been 7000 km.

Best of luck. I've been having such problems for a year and I know it isnt funny!!

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
You guys don't pay attention - hes already been driving on this clutch for 600 miles with no problems until now and hes only having problems with 2nd gear...

·
Registered
656 Posts
Boosted2.0 said:
You guys don't pay attention - hes already been driving on this clutch for 600 miles with no problems until now and hes only having problems with 2nd gear...
He said 2nd is the only one that grinds but it is still hard to get into every gear. To me it sounds like a tranny fluid issue. That would be my first step into tying to fix this problem. Changing the tranny fluid won't hurt anything even if its not the problem.

This would be my route of trying to fix this.

1.) change tranny fluid

2.) grease shift linkage

3.) install extended clutch pushrod.

4.) if 1-3 did not help rip apart tranny

What is your opinon boosted??

·
Registered
5,355 Posts
Pulsar1 said:
Alot of guys have to install an extended clutch pushrod when they put in an aftermarket clutch. http://www.speed-source.net/products/pushrod.htm
That part is a waste of money. You can already make necessary adjustments without it.
black02gt said:
Boosted2.0 said:
He said 2nd is the only one that grinds but it is still hard to get into every gear. To me it sounds like a tranny fluid issue.
The way tranny fluid would be the problem is if it were the dead of winter or there was no fluid in the transmission.

Redline mt-90 is not a miracle cure.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
black02gt said:
He said 2nd is the only one that grinds but it is still hard to get into every gear. To me it sounds like a tranny fluid issue. That would be my first step into tying to fix this problem. Changing the tranny fluid won't hurt anything even if its not the problem.

This would be my route of trying to fix this.

1.) change tranny fluid

2.) grease shift linkage

3.) install extended clutch pushrod.

4.) if 1-3 did not help rip apart tranny

What is your opinon boosted??
Wouldn't hurt to put 3 quarts of new Valvoline 75-90 in there and lube the linkage and try to adjust the pushrod, thats all cheap stuff. But I suspect he'll wind up with it being a bad syncro.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Boosted2.0 said:
My guess is that the clutch was never fully disengaging from day one of his install. Common problem with aftermarket clutches where the overall thickness changes. The 600 miles of driving like that probably toasted his synchro.

·
Registered
656 Posts
slidr said:
That part is a waste of money. You can already make necessary adjustments without it.

The way tranny fluid would be the problem is if it were the dead of winter or there was no fluid in the transmission.

Redline mt-90 is not a miracle cure.

I know its not a miracle cure but I would rather change the fluid and do some cheap stuff to see if it helps then rip the whole tranny apart.

I have had friends who had rough transmissions and a little bit of grinding and switched to redline mt-90 and it solved the issues.

·
Registered
572 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
if my synchro is gone, how much is all that gonna cost?
i have no idea what the pushrod is, is there any links to anywhere that helps explain what it is?
also, how do you grease your shift linkage?

·
Registered
2,839 Posts
i would strongly suggest checking the clutch master cylinder (which in our cars sits behind the brake master cylinder), and see if it holds enough pressure... i had the exact same problem you describe after installing my TRD clutch, after trying it all, extended rod, engagement point, etc, i took the car to the dealer and they tested the pressure on the clutch master cylinder. they said it needed to be replaced... i got the car back and it started shifting butter-smooth again... just something to consider...
R

1 - 20 of 36 Posts