NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had no choice but to crash snowbank left across an off-ramp by a plow last night, after the latest northeast mini-blizzard. Th rest of the ride home I thought I might be hearing a 'SSKKKRRTT-SSKKKRRT" sound every now and then. Weeeell, leaving for work this am I was hearing it pretty much continuously. Go about a 1/4 mile, pull over, peek underneath, and I'm dragging both undertrays on each side, all mangled and bent up backwards.

:wtf:

Back home we go, pull the Vanilla Popsicle part way into the garage, and try to find my stash of extra pop clips. Could not find the baggy. Pull a couple off the door sill, which required chiseling the ice off, only to find that they are a bigger diameter than the ones used under the car....finally find another kind floating around in the toolbox botton, manage to pop them in, and woo-hoo, all the Stripper's droopy drawers are tacked back up.

Has anyone found a better , just as easily removable fastener than those things?

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Try the specialty hardware section of Lowes or Home D. (usually a rack of thin drawers) bring a sample with you so you can match up diameter and length in a different style. Auto parts stores that cater to body shops have a large selection as well.
PS: I made up a modified pair of pliers to remove those stubborn ones used under the engine. It would have been nice if they had designed in a trap door type arrangement so you didn't have to pull the whole pan down every time you change the oil. No matter how careful I try to be, I manage to break a couple of those fasteners every time.

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
I haven't found an easier to remove option, but I have tapped threads in many of th holes (on the oil change side) and I use short bolts to hold the tray up. I think I used all my spare M8x1.25mm bolts, but a 5/16" bolt will work too.

I have never had one fall off. Soon, all of them will be bolted on.

Scott

·
Registered
441 Posts
Now Scott that is not legal. You must return to using plastic clips... :)

·
Registered
3,690 Posts
Rick is correct. Since I am confident a solid cone hit will not rip my car apart, it enables me to drive faster than the competition, it's a mental thing.

At least, that's how I would form the basis of my protest...

Scott

·
Registered
34 Posts
Lowe's sells 1/4 size rivet srews at 73 cents for 2. The head is smaller. It may not break as easy as OEM. I think you can find some strong pins similar to woman's hair pin working as easier as rivet. Try to see how it work.

·
Registered
34 Posts
This is follow up to my last post. I used it. The hair pin works great. U can buy thick one for 88 cents for 18 pins at drug store. It is easy and durable.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
any chance you could show us a picture of the hairpins you are using?

·
Registered
34 Posts
Any pin as long as it can hold the plastic board tight should be good. I now use 2 thin pins for one hole. Only need one if thick pin is used. Go to woman's cosmetic store such as ULTA, I even find pin curl clips with spring for 64 cts (12 clips). There are many choice. Any pin or clip small and close to 1/4 in should do the job as long as it hold the board tight. Once u are underneath the car, you don't like to screw those rivets. However, keep a few good rivets and replace the bad one with pin until u feel comfortable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts