15,564 Posts
That top one looks good

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Boosted2.0 said:
That top one looks good
Do you think it's worth more than double the cost of the other, tho'? I don't want to skimp on useful features, but also don't want to pay for vastly more than I could ever need. Was there anything missing? It looked pretty damn comprehensive.

I suppose I should also email the company that makes the second one for a full listing of parameters it can read...

·
Registered
105 Posts
No need to spend too much money on a OBDII reader simply because you don't get the complete picture when the OBDII can only supply data every 5 seconds or so. Also it may list that it can read all those things but if your vehicle does not put out a signal like that (intake manifold pressure for example) then it won't give you anything.

it's good for a general idea of what's going on but definitely not a good idea if you're planning on tuning with it.

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
I didn't realise that I thought the OBDII was in real time. I know you can purchase the OBDII interface and link up with laptop also IPAQ depending on hardware and cables, then its just a matter of "Aquiring" a working "backup" of the software.

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
slvceli said:
Thanks for the link -- but was there a particular thread you thought I should look at?
Alpha-Zero said:
No need to spend too much money on a OBDII reader simply because you don't get the complete picture when the OBDII can only supply data every 5 seconds or so. Also it may list that it can read all those things but if your vehicle does not put out a signal like that (intake manifold pressure for example) then it won't give you anything.

it's good for a general idea of what's going on but definitely not a good idea if you're planning on tuning with it.
At mimimum I want fuel trims, ignition, air intake temp, water temp, stuff like that. Manifold pressure may eventually be worth reading if I have a sensor installed for water injection. I guess I'm trying to figure out what makes the second setup so much cheaper...

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
jlitman said:
Thanks for the link -- but was there a particular thread you thought I should look at?
At mimimum I want fuel trims, ignition, air intake temp, water temp, stuff like that. Manifold pressure may eventually be worth reading if I have a sensor installed for water injection. I guess I'm trying to figure out what makes the second setup so much cheaper...
Not in particular. It's just a good source for looking at the different readers and software.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Alpha-Zero said:

You have no idea what you are talking about. The OBDII datastream on a 16 bit Toyota ECU like the Celica has is capable of refreshing muliple times per second, especially when you are only monitoring a small number of values.

jlitman said:
Boosted2.0 said:
That top one looks good
Do you think it's worth more than double the cost of the other, tho'? I don't want to skimp on useful features, but also don't want to pay for vastly more than I could ever need. Was there anything missing? It looked pretty damn comprehensive.

I suppose I should also email the company that makes the second one for a full listing of parameters it can read...
I like the top one because it incorporate graphing and logging - that means you can select certain parameters, graph them over the period of a couple minutes and post the graphs for other people to review.

Here is another one:
http://www.obd2.com/personal/personal_scantool.htm

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Boosted2.0 said:
I like the top one because it incorporate graphing and logging - that means you can select certain parameters, graph them over the period of a couple minutes and post the graphs for other people to review.

Here is another one:
http://www.obd2.com/personal/personal_scantool.htm
Thanks, Boosted! I think I'll get a full parameter listing for the second one, but plan on buying the first one I listed if funds are available in the coffers this month. If not, I'll opt for the less expensive one. That one you provided a link for is great, but really expensive! Like over $400! :AF:

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
These folks http://www.myscantool.com/ are particularly unhelpful when trying to order mine. They do have time to continue to sell more on ebay in june. There are bad seller reviews there also. The software looked good though. I was hoping to be able to try it.
dB

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
deltaB said:
These folks http://www.myscantool.com/ are particularly unhelpful when trying to order mine. They do have time to continue to sell more on ebay in june. There are bad seller reviews there also. The software looked good though. I was hoping to be able to try it.
dB
Thanks for calling attention to that -- it looks a little bit user unfriendly unless you paln on breaking out the soldering iron ... I want something a little more plug and play where the only technical skill I need is plugging into a serial port.

I think I'm going to buy the first one -- while not the cheapest, the cost is quite a bit less than other similar tools and it records just about everything.

However, if anyone knows of a great, very similar tool that is less expensive, please let me know, and I'll check it out :thumbup:

Edit: Ooo, I can buy a crappy little palm pilot like this for cheap, get the less expensive package, and datalog on the go easily! http://cgi.ebay.com/BRAND-NEW-Palm-...2QQihZ017QQcategoryZ38331QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The Auterra package supports it and comes with all the calbes and software for $209!

I know this is a little off topc, but any recommendations on hand held units worth getting for something like this. Cheap and functional is preferable to expeensive and pretty.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
If you have a laptop go with that - it will be MUCH easier to work with in the long run and liek I said will also give you the ability to post the results to here if youwant folks to review them.

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
I have the auterra with both the cables for Palm and PC. Only used it on the Palm nice tool to have while tuning. BTW also consider that when using the palm the battery life is very short. The software is nice but I wish it was a bit more customisable for example when graphing etc to be able to change the limits

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Black_TRD said:
I have the auterra with both the cables for Palm and PC. Only used it on the Palm nice tool to have while tuning. BTW also consider that when using the palm the battery life is very short. The software is nice but I wish it was a bit more customisable for example when graphing etc to be able to change the limits
Auterra for palm -- yes, this is what to plan to do! I'd be using this on a Treo 180 (a freebe hand-me-down from a friend). What palm are you using?

Notwithstanding battery life on the palm, are you happy using the Auterra on that device? Any weird hiccups or problems I should be forewarned about?

·
Registered
1,935 Posts
jlitman said:
Auterra for palm -- yes, this is what to plan to do! I'd be using this on a Treo 180 (a freebe hand-me-down from a friend). What palm are you using?

Notwithstanding battery life on the palm, are you happy using the Auterra on that device? Any weird hiccups or problems I should be forewarned about?

after a bit of use the battery starts saying its too low but just give it an ok and it works for like 30 mins more lol but my pda is very old at least it has 5 years btw its a sony clie n610c, been thinking of buying a new battery to see if it fixes it.

other than that on some of the parameters lets say you want ignition timing you would have to select another item on the current list then wait a few secs and select ignition timing that is now available seems that it has to comunicate with the ecu to get none standard parameters

·
Registered
903 Posts
i too might think about getting that first one. let us know how well it works after you get it.

·
Registered
903 Posts
guys, before you spend 260 bucks on the scan tool, check out the tekmate tool... This is the one I use and for 100 bucks it seems to do everything the expensive one does.

It datalogs in excel format up to 5 parameters simultaniously and can chart in the software up to 4 simultaniously. Also has all the little dyno/0-60 type features.

Don't know if the refresh rate is any different than the expensive one, if I am logging 4 things at once it seems pretty slow, but I was under the impression that the celi compy is being slow and not the tekmate since its just an interface... the lappy should be doing all the computation.

http://www.tekmatetools.com/

on ebay: buy it now for 90 bucks...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TekM...008QQitemZ180004969143QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW

·
Registered
11,169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
btagoc said:
guys, before you spend 260 bucks on the scan tool, check out the tekmate tool... This is the one I use and for 100 bucks it seems to do everything the expensive one does.

It datalogs in excel format up to 5 parameters simultaniously and can chart in the software up to 4 simultaniously. Also has all the little dyno/0-60 type features.

Don't know if the refresh rate is any different than the expensive one, if I am logging 4 things at once it seems pretty slow, but I was under the impression that the celi compy is being slow and not the tekmate since its just an interface... the lappy should be doing all the computation.

http://www.tekmatetools.com/

on ebay: buy it now for 90 bucks...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/TekM...008QQitemZ180004969143QQrdZ1QQsspagenameZWDVW
That would be great, but I don't have a laptop... I need one that will work with a Palm.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts