NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya.

Brand new here, and brand new Celica GTS owner as of two days ago. Mine's a black 2000GTS w 6speed (of course). Owned 40 cars over 25 years and this is my very first import/non-V8 car.

I'm looking for some (REALLY cheap) 17x8 to 17x9" used rims that dont suck. This will take a while it seems, so in the meantime i want to flush the 16x6.5" alloys/205/50's to the edges. I mean really flush. I've read lil over 30 pages of the fitment thread and saw no answers to my questions, so here goes.

1, Stock rollers. Will spacing these things out the rather excessive amount it will need (w bolt-on adapters) affect the handling adversely, because the offset changes so drastically? How about tire wear? I may even be inclined to keep the 16's outright... pending answer to question #2...

2, 17" rollers. If i get 235/40ish tires on 17"s, will this affect my mileage much, due to the wider tire/heavier weight? You guys may be racers, but i bought this thing FOREMOST for its ridiculous MPG. I'm coming from V8-land here, and i do NOT want to lose 3-5MPG by swapping 2" more tire onto the car. MEAT is religion to me, absolute religion... but if i lose a pile of MPG i might as well have bought another Mustang to daily drive.

3, 17" rollers. After 30+ pages of the fitment thread, and all this talk of fat wheels/tires rubbing, i wonder... will a flush 235-ish/40-17 rub with OEM camber specs and OEM ride height? I will NOT, under any circumstance lower my car. Not an inch. Where i live its just not an option. I would GUESS that i'd be safer than a lowered car... but i'm asking the experts. (and yes yes... i realize that probably nobody here would ever put big meats on a stock ride-height Celica).

I like to drive fast (though i dont beat my cars), and i LOVE the look/handling of massive tires on any car, but i specifically was looking for an inline-4/stick import for MPG, so i dont wanna screw myself too bad. Thoughts?

·
Premium Member
1,456 Posts
Gotta give it a lil this place isn't as busy as it once was but you will get answer from the OG's when ever they check in

·
Registered
430 Posts
Welcome! I may not be the most knowledgable motor head on here but I have been through a bunch of different sets of after market
wheels in search of a flush fender arch style wheel fitment and along the way I've learned a good deal about the size of the celica fender and
back spacing vs wheel width,diameter,offset, and tire size.

I'll try and answer your questions as best I can.

1. I have seen a couple of people space out the stock wheels to near flush. however I believe the offset needed is around +5 front and -15 rear.
Meaning you'd need around a 45mm front spacer and a 55mm rear spacer (please anyone correct me if I'm wrong on any of these measurements,
they're estimates from memory) There are a couple of noticeable consequences of spacing out such an extreme amount. First; you will be putting
far more wear on your wheel bearings. Second; it will increase your scrub radius; meaning the point where your wheel contact patch is would be wider than the
steering axis. You'll feel this because your steering wheel will recenter itself harder and become harder to turn. This may be more extreme for such a large
spacer. I definitely feel it on my -25 offset 18x9.5 wheels up front. I'm not sure about tire wear but I'd assume that extra wear would be minimal providing you
get a good alignment.

2. I don't think you'll experience a noticeable drop in mpg due to a 235/40 on a 17" wheel.

3. The answer to this question usually all depends on the offset but this question is also usually asked by people who intend to lower their cars.
Because you're adamant about keeping your car stock height there is very little for you to worry about in terms of rubbing. I'm pretty sure at stock height a 17"
wheel with a 40 sidewall tire can be as low of an offset as you want and not rub. Say you have a 17x8 which would be flush at about +17 but you space out
to -20; this would look really silly in my opinion because your entire wheel would be poking 37mm but it still wouldn't rub at stock height. The wheel gap would still be massive.
And I highly doubt this, but you would need to worry about back spacing if you get a wheel with an offset that's too high.. but you'd need to determine your wheel width and offset to
figure out what that would be.

Based on your questions and aesthetic taste I'd say you should look for a 17x8 at around a +35 offset. That set up with a 25mm spacer in the rear and a 15mm spacer
in front would get you about 7-10mm away from the fenders all around. Although in my opinion this would still look really dumb and simply not very aerodynamic at stock height.
I actually think this car looks dumb at stock height regardless.. but thats just me. Hope this helps you, Good luck with your celica.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Welcome! I may not be the most knowledgable motor head on here but I have been through a bunch of different sets of after market
wheels in search of a flush fender arch style wheel fitment and along the way I've learned a good deal about the size of the celica fender and
back spacing vs wheel width,diameter,offset, and tire size.

I'll try and answer your questions as best I can.

1. I have seen a couple of people space out the stock wheels to near flush. however I believe the offset needed is around +5 front and -15 rear.
Meaning you'd need around a 45mm front spacer and a 55mm rear spacer (please anyone correct me if I'm wrong on any of these measurements,
they're estimates from memory) There are a couple of noticeable consequences of spacing out such an extreme amount. First; you will be putting
far more wear on your wheel bearings. Second; it will increase your scrub radius; meaning the point where your wheel contact patch is would be wider than the
steering axis. You'll feel this because your steering wheel will recenter itself harder and become harder to turn. This may be more extreme for such a large
spacer. I definitely feel it on my -25 offset 18x9.5 wheels up front. I'm not sure about tire wear but I'd assume that extra wear would be minimal providing you
get a good alignment.
Yeah see... this is the type of issue i'm worried about. I've spent literal countless hours messing around with this on American RWD cars, but no matter where you want the look on those cars, you still end up with a fairly neutral offset. This is all new to me. I dont want a weird handling car.

2. I don't think you'll experience a noticeable drop in mpg due to a 235/40 on a 17" wheel.
This i find surprising. Even if i can end up with a light 17" combo that weighs the same as the stock one. I wonder what hurts more... rolling resistance (wide aggressive tires) on a really light car (Celica) or a really heavy one?

3. The answer to this question usually all depends on the offset but this question is also usually asked by people who intend to lower their cars.
Because you're adamant about keeping your car stock height there is very little for you to worry about in terms of rubbing. I'm pretty sure at stock height a 17"
wheel with a 40 sidewall tire can be as low of an offset as you want and not rub. Say you have a 17x8 which would be flush at about +17 but you space out
to -20; this would look really silly in my opinion because your entire wheel would be poking 37mm but it still wouldn't rub at stock height. The wheel gap would still be massive.
And I highly doubt this, but you would need to worry about back spacing if you get a wheel with an offset that's too high.. but you'd need to determine your wheel width and offset to
figure out what that would be.

Based on your questions and aesthetic taste I'd say you should look for a 17x8 at around a +35 offset. That set up with a 25mm spacer in the rear and a 15mm spacer
in front would get you about 7-10mm away from the fenders all around. Although in my opinion this would still look really dumb and simply not very aerodynamic at stock height.
I actually think this car looks dumb at stock height regardless.. but thats just me. Hope this helps you, Good luck with your celica.
I'm actually a fan of the 4x4 look... on pretty much all cars, as long as the wells are full. Lowered cars certainly look faster... but our streets are shit, and those two cars pictured about wouldn't last a week around here. As for sizes... unfortunately i'm bound by whatever comes up used and cheap. Found a set of Rota's for a decent price... even a decent looking rim, but they were 18x9.5". For a non-lowered car that would work, maybe get some 245's on there, even 255's for the rear, but that would definitely hurt mpg, and so i guess its lucky that they're a bit out of my budget.

I have another question, but i'll start a new one for that. Thanks.

·
Registered
430 Posts
I was actually curious about your second question so I did some research.
This article pretty much lays it out; from a 15" to 19" wheel there is only a 2mpg difference.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

I read a couple of other articles with similar info. So, apparently mpg will suffer, just not very much.. and i didn't do the math but I assume with your
wheel size increase of only around 1" you'll see a decrease of less than 1mpg seeing as how a 2mpg decrease was the result of upsizing the wheel 4".

·
Registered
430 Posts
I was looking for this yesterday and forgot to post it.
This is a good example of how extremely fat of a tire you can fit at stock height
(this guy may actually be lowered an inch too) So, you can see even on this setup with an super low offset
and tons of poke there won't be any rubbing except maybe at full lock.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I was actually curious about your second question so I did some research.
This article pretty much lays it out; from a 15" to 19" wheel there is only a 2mpg difference.
http://www.caranddriver.com/features/effects-of-upsized-wheels-and-tires-tested

I read a couple of other articles with similar info. So, apparently mpg will suffer, just not very much.. and i didn't do the math but I assume with your
wheel size increase of only around 1" you'll see a decrease of less than 1mpg seeing as how a 2mpg decrease was the result of upsizing the wheel 4".
Yeah. I'm TRYING to stick with a 17" combo. Whatever comes up used will come up, but if i bought new, it'd be 17". Its more the width i'm concerned about. Even just a 235/40 is a lot more contact patch on the road than a lowly 205/50. Then there is also the tire design... as i'm sure an aggressive ultra HP tire will create more resistance than my old Kumho Ecsta x4. Guess we'll see.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was looking for this yesterday and forgot to post it.
This is a good example of how extremely fat of a tire you can fit at stock height
(this guy may actually be lowered an inch too) So, you can see even on this setup with an super low offset
and tons of poke there won't be any rubbing except maybe at full lock.

Jesus. I like meat, and on OLD cars... i'll admit i dont mind a bit ov nostalgic poke out back, but damn... thats a tad excessive...

·
Registered
430 Posts
I also think that set up looks really bad.. obviously a poor execution.
Although it is a good example of how a stock height celica can theoretically fit as low of an offset as you want without rubbing.

Also, I know you said you won't be lowering the car but I do highly recommend at least a 1.5 inch drop.
This chassis has such a HUGE wheel gap stock that a 19" wheel can fit easily..and I don't know where you live but I lived in south western Connecticut and I drove with around a
2" drop on springs with a 40 stretched 40 sidewall for many years without issue. I was ok on steep inclines, dirt driveways, and bumpy gravel roads.. in my experience driving a lowered car is totally worth the small amount
of trouble I had to go through with a mild drop.. Of course you'd never want the over 4" drop that I have currently but 1.5 inches; you could definitely do that.. unless you're going on a safari.
In my opinion the proportions of this car just can't look right if you increase wheel diameter without altering the ride height. It'll look like a covered wagon lol.

With muscle cars that have such thick meaty proportions and blunt body lines stock height meaty tires can sometimes look great.
On the other hand, the 7th gen celica is such a sharp sleek looking car that it really looks weird when it has meaty tire at stock height..
It could potentially still be functional but based on what you said about finding very low cost wheels you're already willing to sacrifice function in terms of wheel weight to achieve better aesthetics.
If you were willing to spend a bit more you could go for a light weight track wheel such as a 5zigen Fno1rc or Enkei rpf1.

In terms of what I'd call a proper 'meaty flush' or more square tire set up there are plenty of guys who've gone that route successfully. And trust me these are all very drivable set ups.
These set ups are all around the size I recommended to you and all have very mild drops.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What are the specs (wheel/tire/drop) on the yellow one? That could work. The second one is too low, and the third i cant tell from that angle. Nice fit on the third though.

Thing is, another reason not to lower, is that i bought this car to save money. Good looking/wide/better performing rollers are a MUST on any car i own, and they will improve the handling vastly without a single other mod. Exhaust is also a must. Those are non-negotiable. But going beyond that i'm spending money that will rob from my actual hotrod. The main reason i'm in 4-bangerland now is because getting 20mpg in the Mustang GT was keeping my old Dodge on jackstands longer than it should be on jackstands. If i can find some local 1" or maybe 1.5" springs used (that dont suck) and someone to install them for me for free i will happily lower it a bit.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts