NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so I posted here a few weeks ago describing some issues I have been having with my 2000 Celica GT Auto.

Poor acceleration/bogging down, High idle at cold start 2k+ and low idle once warmed up. The car just isn't acting normal at all.

Ive replaced many many things including:

-MAF sensor
-Fuel injectors
-Spark plugs
-coil packs
-Throttle position sensor (Replaced fully with brand new part)

None of these issues improved. I suspected ECU for awhile or my auto tranny going bad because the car runs better in low gears 2, L.

I also suspected a vacuum leak some where which is still possible.
But I think the idle issues and the throttle issues come down to the TPS which I replaced.

I know that you cant just slap the new one on and tighten the screws (which I did!) I know there is some kind of calibration needed or something like that. So I think the previous owner had an engine swap and the person screwed up the TPS when putting it back and then I replaced it for no reason and also screwed up the installation LOL what a mess!

So im confused on how the hell you "adjust" or calibrate the TPS. Ive read somewhere to use a meter and unscrew the two screws and turn the TPS. But this is where I am puzzle because the Celica TPS is spring loaded and you cant rotate it too far or it will just spring back. I don't get it. But I do know you cant just simply place it in and screw it down. Which I had a feeling.

Can someone please help. Maybe provide some pics or diagrams to help. Thanks!

·
Registered
300 Posts
Do you have a check engine light on? It sounds like you do from the problems you described. If you do post the codes it will make it a lot easier for people to help you and in the mean time I would buy a bottle of carb cleaner and check for a vacuum leak it sounds like that could be your problem.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I suspected vacuum leak but didn't spot any. No check engine light on right now because I reset it. But it used to show evap leak.

I noticed this morning when pumping gas that my gas cap had zero pressure when I loosened it up. No hissing noise like usual.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,431 Posts
There is no need to cal the TPS on a Celica.

Make sure your EVAP lines are connected correctly & the Blue electrical connector isn't hooked to the EVAP Purge VSV.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks 2way. That's good to hear that the tps doesn't require calibration.

I'm thinking huge evap leak. The problem is, it's hard locating it

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Anybody know where this blue plug is located everyone talks about?

·
15,431 Posts
Normally, it goes to the ASIC (butterfly) VSV on the stock airbox. It is often misconnected to the EVAP Purge VSV. You will find a vacuum diagram on the underside of the hood.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
2way you're a genius! These plugs were in the wrong place. The blue connector was on bottom. The blue one is supposed to be on top near the air box and for some reason it was reversed!

My car already runs so much better and I reset the ecu so I'll just give it time to adjust

·
15,431 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Are you sure because I searched and it showed on top?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts