NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
just took my car to the dealer and they replaced the belt and tensioner, also i had them look at the tapping im having. Basically the guy said something about popping off the head and taking a better look at it, he was also saying something about "shimming the valves"? or "shaving the head"? someone maybe wanna shed some light on this one for me?

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
C'mon anybody know what they're talking about because i would like to have at least alittle understanding about it....

·
Registered
28 Posts
My car has been tapping for as long as I can remember. I usually here it if I sit quietly at a stop light with the radio off. We will have had the car 5 years in November.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
have you ever heard of shimming valves? or shaving the head? it has already been established that there is a problem, and they can fix it.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
you guys are no help :sadpace:

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Shimming the valves I believe is basically a spacer that adjust the valves to open/close correctly. If they shave the head they will have to shim the valves to make up for the clearence.

I had a tapping noise prior to my rebuild. Turned out it was a few bent valves. At first it wasn't noticable, had to be very quiet to hear. I to asked the toyota mech about it and I get it suppose to be like that, I got that answer a lot! Over time it got worse, eventualy bent them enough it wouldn't idle at all. Not from racing or anything but just going down the highway between 65-80mph seem to do it in.

If they are willing to redo your head/valves and it is under warrranty I say go for it! They don't do most of the work anyway, they send it out to a head shop. All they do is take it off and put it on.

Good luck

·
Registered
313 Posts
I've never heard of the Bilstein R-2000 Engine Flush system, but I will be looking to see who can do it at my next oil change.

Thanks for the info.
CF

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
im thinking maybe it could be bent valves that im looking at because it has kind of a rough idle and sometimes it almost stalls out too.

·
Registered
54 Posts
i had toyota replace my valves when i almost misshift into second gear (didn't let go of the clutch all the way). they gave me a loaner car too... i guess since toyota paid for it anyways... but now im hearing it again cuz of all the dirt that was in the engine...(cai leaked)... under 60000 miles toyo should replace

1 - 11 of 11 Posts