NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok I've searched into the ticking sounds of the gts engine. Heres the thing about mine, 26000 miles on it, and it just started to happen, its pretty loud and you can hear it with the windows up while driving. I had a problem with my belt for a while, and took it to toyota, they told me they had to tighten up the tensioner, which they did, but it only solved my problem briefly... now it squeals everyday until its driven for about 15 minutes, somtimes even longer than that... also now with this ticking my car sounds like a huge p.o.s. I will be taking my car to the dealer on monday to get my rear end fixed,(hit and run), but after that I will take it over to see about fixing this problem, because honestly this does not sound like your average ticking that I've heard in countless honda's..

So basically what im wondering is this going to be the way my car is gonna be from now on?, or should i stand up to toyota if they try to shut me down..? Also it is a steady, rhythmic tick...but I am wondering if my belt had somthing to do with it. any comments welcome. :)

·
Premium Member
21,896 Posts
I remember that noise early in the life of my Celica...took it to the dealer twice and both times: "It's normal, the engine ticks like that", overtime I heard many Celicas with the same ticking, so it could be normal, but then again, I'm no expert.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
It's not normal! When I bought my 00 gt-s I first mentioned it, then complained 3 more times. The engine would run ok (I guess). Then when I took it on a highway trip, after that it went down hill fast over a few days. Valves, and what not. Rebuilt the engine and trany. Sounded like you say, a hugo!

Each time I was told it is normal, don't worry about it. Then when it busted up they tell me I did it.

If it is under warranty, stand up to them! hold your ground! Hopefully they will not be such an @ss as the one I have delt with here.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
which dealership did you go to? i live in Va beach too... I'm taking it somewhere today... thinking Laskin rd.

·
Registered
435 Posts
ICU2COP said:
the last ticking i heard in my gt was the rod about to throw
uhhhh, im pretty sure 1zz GT's don't have rods. maybe you're thinking of your mustang gt?

·
Registered
12,350 Posts
Originally posted by KNanthrup
uhhhh, im pretty sure 1zz GT's don't have rods. maybe you're thinking of your mustang gt?
They do. Connecting rods:rolleyes:

·
Registered
8,580 Posts
I just had my replaced not too long ago... mine was warranty'd and so they replaced the belt tensioner cause it was breaking and so was a pulley as well....you will probably start to hear a grinding noise as u accelerate soon..... pm me if u got questions

this is with my 02' gt-s, im at 27,000 miles right now and it happened over the summer.

-greg

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
The ticking noise always seemed normal to me as i've heard the same noise out of every single celica. From what i what i understand is that it is valve lash. I have 80,XXX miles on my celica and never a prob with my engine in terms of that noise.

The squeeky belt was another thing a lot of people have heard on their celica on cold days, i mostly only hear mine in the winter when it rains and gets wet, but again 80k+ miles later and i have not a single problem with the engine.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts