NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,

I have a 2002 Celica GTS with automatic transmission with a little over 267,000 miles on it. I had the transmission replaced when it had about 134,000 miles. Last October (2021), I was driving it on surface streets and slowing down as I was approaching a stop sign when it started shaking hard and then just shut off. When I tried restarting it then, it kept struggling to start but just wouldn't. At the time, neither the check engine light nor any other warning lights came on.

Since then, I've had my car towed home and have had a few mobile mechanics look at the car and give me their initial opinions but based on what I've been reading and understanding, I'm not sure they really know Celicas well enough to know what they are talking about.

I have since removed the valve cover and found that the timing chain was broken. The oil level was fine but I did get a check engine code (P0340) for the CamShaft position sensor when I scanned for codes just to see if anything came up. I'm attaching some pictures here.

I've had to slow down troubleshooting for a few months but really want to focus on getting my daily driver running again as soon as possible.

The compression leak down test today revealed that the 1st cylinder is leaking 40%, the 2nd cylinder is leaking 70%, and the 4th cylinder is leaking 95% (I missed the reading on the 3rd cylinder.)

Considering how low the RPMs were when I was driving, the car could not have been in lift. Therefore it was not behaving as an interference engine at that time despite some of the confusion amongst folks about that on various message boards.
  • Do I really need to swap out the engine? or
  • Can I get the car running again by replacing the cam chain tensioner and the timing chain?
Any actionable feedback that can help me save my car without breaking the bank would be much appreciated.

Thank you!

(I'll update this post as I make progress. I appreciate the comments. Please keep them coming. I need time to save up for the more expensive solution so I'll be reading and thinking through every reply I get.)

Motor vehicle Engineering Machine Metal Auto part
Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive exterior Engineering
Automotive lighting Auto part Machine Metal Engineering
Motor vehicle Gas Hood Automotive exterior Coil
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive design Automotive tire Rim
Hood Light Amber Automotive lighting Automotive design
Gadget Finger Line Red Material property

·
Registered
724 Posts
So.... everything ur doing with the leakdown is going to be wrong, also if the chain is broken u need to pull the oil pan check for damage and see what happened because it sounds like ur engine prolly locked up.

Drain oil inspect for metal remove oil filter cut it open and inspect for metal.

Remove the head inspect the pistons and the head surface, these are interference engines, normally you break a chain 9/10 times those valves hit the pistons.

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
8,331 Posts
Leak down test requires that the cam and crank be turned together to put the cylinder being test at top dead center with valves closed. That can't be done with a snapped chain without a lot of screwing around.
Three ways forward.
Replace engine.
Pull engine and tear off the timing cover and oil pan to inspect for other damage, replace what you can see is bad, time the engine, then do leak down test.
All the above but pull the head off and have a machine shop check/repair it.

If you opt for replacement engine BE VERY CAREFUL. THE CYLINDERS CANNOT BE HONED IN A TRADITIONAL MANNER. IF THEY HAVE BEEN THEN IT WILL BURN ASTOUNDING AMOUNTS OF OIL AND NEVER RUN CORRECTLY. The cylinders are special material and the factory finish cannot be repaired by honing like a traditional metal cylinder. You're probably better off getting a used engine with lower miles and just replacing the timing set and oil pump preventively before installing.

Sent from my SM-G892U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
444 Posts
Almost wherever you are.. this is a good deal

1 - 5 of 5 Posts