NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I was wondering if you could share your input on my 2001 celica GT. It has 230,000 miles. I changed the valve cover yesterday so I took some video and pics.

Here is the video

·
Registered
518 Posts
Looks like a chain.

Its for sure loose, could be ur actuator like i mentioned preciously. If ur gona do it change ur chain and actuator and reset ur tensionor.

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
3 Posts
Looks like a chain.

Its for sure loose, could be ur actuator like i mentioned preciously. If ur gona do it change ur chain and actuator and reset ur tensionor.

2000 GTS Turbo
Have 1984 Celica Gt and not sure of milage and think it should have timing chin replacement.before problem./
Anyone know where I could haved it done with expertise and reasonable cost in or in vicinity of Bropoklyn ny?
Thanks.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Any mechanic.. 84 celica should be either an RA60 / RA65 or SA 63.. S Motors had timing belts , R Motors have chains.
But again any mechanical shop can help with that.

·
Registered
518 Posts
If you turn the crank pulley to a different position of the chain and it's tight b't cams then its tensioner
No.... SOME loose and tight spots are normal because when chains are installed they are not PRE stretched. However thats with a grain if salt, what is being displayed is excessive. So we move on from there.

If i take the chain off the crank.... and turn the cams at the same pace it will stay tight between cams aslong as it doesnt skip a tooth... unless theyre is excessive stretch in the chain, or the cam gear actuator isnt functioning properly.

The likelyhood of a tens failing its very unlikely, its a ratcheting mechanism. Its rides aginst the chain and it clicks the next tooth on the mechanism as the chain stretches an keeps CONSTANT consistant pressure. If it feels any give it clicks the next tooth.

If the tens is maxed out then ITS NOT a failed tens its a STRETCHED chain.

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
No.... SOME loose and tight spots are normal because when chains are installed they are not PRE stretched. However thats with a grain if salt, what is being displayed is excessive. So we move on from there.

If i take the chain off the crank.... and turn the cams at the same pace it will stay tight between cams aslong as it doesnt skip a tooth... unless theyre is excessive stretch in the chain, or the cam gear actuator isnt functioning properly.

The likelyhood of a tens failing its very unlikely, its a ratcheting mechanism. Its rides aginst the chain and it clicks the next tooth on the mechanism as the chain stretches an keeps CONSTANT consistant pressure. If it feels any give it clicks the next tooth.

If the tens is maxed out then ITS NOT a failed tens its a STRETCHED chain.

2000 GTS Turbo
Yes. I’m speaking from experience because of it happening to me

·
Registered
518 Posts
Yes. I’m speaking from experience because of it happening to me
Yes i forgot i read google on your resume.

If the op wants to waste 80$ and put a new tensioner on a excessly stretched chain that will hav no effect on whats happening sure. Have at it.

It will have zero effect on the slack between the gears. If you have ever put on a timing chain you would know this. Because how you put these on is set the timing on the cams first then rotate the crank to the proper position an wrap the chain around the crank last. Then follow with guides ect. If you rotate the cams at the same pace and the chain doesnt miss a tooth they will stay tight with no slack. Even if its dangling at the bottom because its LINK BY LINK. Thats how timing works.

If you want a step but step i can make u one.

The only way what ur saying will make any sort of sense it when the engine jumps time. Which ur not going to fix by simply replacing the tens. and chances are its because of high rpm when the inertia of one of the cams overpowers the chain and slips a few teeth.

Normally due to a stretched chain....

Can tens fail? Yes. Those failures are normally due to oil based tens where it relys on oil pressure to operate. These are oil actuated with a lock tab that will NOT allow the tens to bypass.

2000 GTS Turbo

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
If the chain is worn enough to have slack then it‘s good practice to change out corresponding components if it is to be a fixed all at once to have peace of mind and no question. mxaustin, do yourself a favor and don’t condescend others when they are trying to help. Maybe you should google chain tensioner, Amazon has them for $25.

·
Registered
256 Posts
They also have brake pads for $25.00 but I wouldn’t recommend buying them

·
Registered
518 Posts
If the chain is worn enough to have slack then it‘s good practice to change out corresponding components if it is to be a fixed all at once to have peace of mind and no question. mxaustin, do yourself a favor and don’t condescend others when they are trying to help. Maybe you should google chain tensioner, Amazon has them for $25.
If some 1 is giving bad information like suggesting a 25$ timming tens.... i have to point out what a bad idea that is.

Any experianced engine builder will tell u to stick with OEM on the chain and tens unless its a high end aftermarket replacment. Cheap aftermarkets use crappy materials and never get hardening the metals right and you end up being worse off than u started. I did a "timing chain replacment kit" amazon special for a mazda3 speed because they had shit chains that wernt hardend correctly from the factory in 07-09. Replaced everything and within 2 weeks the chain had more slop then the 1 i replaced and soon as you started it all you could hear was chain slap.

if some one keeps insisting theyre correct because its "their truth" or "their experiance" if some 1 is wrong they're wrong. I wish you the best but with as much slack as he has i can remove the chain with the timing cover still on.

2000 GTS Turbo

1 - 13 of 13 Posts