NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
No.... SOME loose and tight spots are normal because when chains are installed they are not PRE stretched. However thats with a grain if salt, what is being displayed is excessive. So we move on from there.

If i take the chain off the crank.... and turn the cams at the same pace it will stay tight between cams aslong as it doesnt skip a tooth... unless theyre is excessive stretch in the chain, or the cam gear actuator isnt functioning properly.

The likelyhood of a tens failing its very unlikely, its a ratcheting mechanism. Its rides aginst the chain and it clicks the next tooth on the mechanism as the chain stretches an keeps CONSTANT consistant pressure. If it feels any give it clicks the next tooth.

If the tens is maxed out then ITS NOT a failed tens its a STRETCHED chain.

2000 GTS Turbo
Yes. I’m speaking from experience because of it happening to me

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
If the chain is worn enough to have slack then it‘s good practice to change out corresponding components if it is to be a fixed all at once to have peace of mind and no question. mxaustin, do yourself a favor and don’t condescend others when they are trying to help. Maybe you should google chain tensioner, Amazon has them for $25.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.