NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it normal to have a visible slack on the intake side of the timing chain? I have placed both cams and crank at their respective timing marks and have aligned the yellow and orange markings but the chain still folds between the crank and the intake cam, despite the slider being in place. Is this normal slack or should I be looking into moving the chain one tooth down at the crank (the mark on the crank sprocket will then align with the start of the yellow chain link and not the middle). Any help highly appreciated. (Have checked the chain, is within specs, has not stretched).

·
Registered
2,663 Posts
There should be a piece that bolts on in between the crank and cam that puts the chain in place to relieve slack...I believe

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The piece is there, the timing chain slider.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
GSBoek said:
Is it normal to have a visible slack on the intake side of the timing chain? I have placed both cams and crank at their respective timing marks and have aligned the yellow and orange markings but the chain still folds between the crank and the intake cam, despite the slider being in place. Is this normal slack or should I be looking into moving the chain one tooth down at the crank (the mark on the crank sprocket will then align with the start of the yellow chain link and not the middle). Any help highly appreciated. (Have checked the chain, is within specs, has not stretched).
I think this is normal. I aligned the links to the sprockets and adjusted the tensioner. When you rotate the crank clockwise by hand the chain between the cam sprockets dips down at a certain rotation. I checked my chain for stretch and it is within spec so I think this is normal.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thnx for the inputs guys. Car is up and running now. After installing the chain I rotated the engine twice over and realigned the crank at the 0 position. The intake cam was spot on but the ex cam was a little off so we just removed the ex cam and reinstalled properly. Chain made some rattling noise on startup for a second but once the tensioner got oiled it stopped. It does it every moning though so I might have a look into it later.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
do you have a 1ZZ or 2ZZ? if you have a 2ZZ make sure you set the exhaust cam 1 tooth back. the lift bolt TSB shows proper installation

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Smaay said:
do you have a 1ZZ or 2ZZ? if you have a 2ZZ make sure you set the exhaust cam 1 tooth back. the lift bolt TSB shows proper installation

What if the chain is set like it states in the manual with the marked links centered on the sprocket? This is how I set my chain and I already put the engine back in but haven't started it yet.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
thats fine if you have a 1ZZ...if you have a 2ZZ then you need to retart the exhaust cam 1 tooth

ok i just looked at your sig, you have a GT-S so you have a 2ZZ...so what you do is line up the timing marks on the cam sprokets flat with the head, then retartd the exhaust cam 1 tooth.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Smaay said:
thats fine if you have a 1ZZ...if you have a 2ZZ then you need to retart the exhaust cam 1 tooth

ok i just looked at your sig, you have a GT-S so you have a 2ZZ...so what you do is line up the timing marks on the cam sprokets flat with the head, then retartd the exhaust cam 1 tooth.
Just checked the manual and that's what I did. I thought you were talking about the match marks (painted links) not the point marks when you said to retard the exhaust cam. THanks for keeping me on my toes! I almost **** myself!

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
GSBoek said:
Chain made some rattling noise on startup for a second but once the tensioner got oiled it stopped. It does it every morning though so I might have a look into it later.

This noise seems to be getting worse each day, it's louder and longer now. It only does it with the first cold start in the morning. If I shut it down immediately and restart the noise is gone. Any subsequent cold start during the day, say when leaving for lunch or back home after work, it's there again. It sounds like a loud rrrrrrraaaaaaaackkkkkk, for 1-2 seconds and then stops. Any body have any idea what this might be. Help please !

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
My tensioner is brand new, Toyota genuine. Have tried pushing a couple more notches, I have come to a point where I'm just afraid to push it out even more. I guess I will have to monitor it and see how it goes. It does seem to be getting worse though.

·
Registered
562 Posts
It does work off oil pressure, maybe its got an air pocket in it. Maybe take it out and prime it up with oil and put back in.Just a thought.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts