NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all. This is my first post here on the main board, and I have a major problem!

I went to replace my lift bolts on my 2001 gts, and one was broken. I partially followed the guide on here (yes, I admit I didn't follow it exactly). While either disassembling or reassembling everything, something must have gone wrong.

The first time I got everything back together and got it up and running, there was a ticking noise - sounding like possible timing issues. So I took it all apart again, but my tick marks on the cam gears and timing chain were gone. My boyfriend decided to help me and told me that the orange links on my timing chain should match up with the long notches in the cam gears. So we readjusted the chain to match up there - assuming that was top dead center. But now my car won't start. It's turning over but not starting. Lack of compression?

I've been trying to troubleshoot everything, but as I am super new to cars (and shouldn't have attempted this on my own to begin with) I really am not sure what could be wrong.

My assumption is that when I took the chain off when disassembling the head, I didn't tie it back - I let it sit on the nob below the gears. Therefore, perhaps the chain isn't aligned on the crankshaft causing my timing to be off?

Ideas? Anyone have this happen? Did I mess up my valves when I first started it back up and heard the ticking?

I called the Toyota dealership here...they quoted me $1200 for a timing chain replacement. I can't afford that! So hopefully you guys have some good feedback for this lost and frustrated girl!

Thanks!!

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
you really shouldn't have screwed with it until you found top dead center. its really unlikely you had a timing issue. plugged ocv's can make the sucker tick like a tractor. leading to him thinking it was a timing issue.

anyways the search function will get you lots of information. and pics.

here's a thread with lots of pics. basically find tdc on cylinder no. 1 and line up your marks. then your set.

http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?t=274817&highlight=2zz+timing+chain+install

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did look at that, but I think my issue is getting the timing chain aligned on the crank shaft. I've got the marks lined up on the cam gears, but since I dropped the chain like an idiot, I think it unlinked from the crank shaft, and is now off down there.... which really suckss... Could this be the reason that it's not starting? Would lack of alignment on the crank shaft cause the timing to be so off that it doesn't have compression?

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
right.

it won't fire on the compression stroke. like your spark plug will fire when it feels fit but will do no good if it doesn't spark when that compression stroke comes around.

don't be cranking on it until you properly set up timing. just crank it over by hand with a bar. you risk hitting your valves with your pistons and causing damage if your using the starter to crank it over. if you do have a problem baring over the engine wont have enough rotating mass to take anything out. it will simply stop. so you can back off and adjust as needed.

sounds like your close. but your still gonna have to start from square one and find tdc. and start lining up you marks. even if you have to yank the whole side cover off. its not as easy as changing lift bolts. thats why everyone wants over a grand to the job. just download the pdf supplied by the site and start following it step by step.

would hate to have ya run into any other issues.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yea, I'd hate to run into other issues too, which is why I'm starting to think I might have to hire someone else to do it... This sounds terrible, but I've never even done my own oil change, and I decided to take this project on of changing my lift bolts. I was feeling ambitious and lucky yesterday apparently. lol I'm not sure I'm up for disassembling any more parts than I already have though... I've got an alldata tsb for it... butttt after looking through it, I think I'm wayyy in over my head. I feel like such a dumb butt. I'd still like to get as much info from other people as possible though, esp those who have done the same thing or something similar.

Thanks for all your help :)

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
yep your timing is all messed up, the orange links will ONLY line up with the marks when you assemble the engine. once it runs, it will take an unknown amount of revolutions to have them line up again, and only for that 1 revolution. thats why you are supposed to set the crank to TDC and then make the marks on the links and sprockets in my guide.

if you ran the engine im willing to bet that you bent valves. i dont know how far in norcal you live but i can fix it for you. 1200 for a chain replacement is highway robbery, but it is an extensive job. if you want to bring the car down to me, ill be happy to fix it for you at a fraction of what Toyota would charge, and it will be done right...

but again its quite possible that you bent valves. that requires the head to come off and be inspected.

what you need to do is set the crank to TDC, then realign the cams with the marks on the gears, remember on the 2ZZ the exhaust cam retarded 1 tooth. the TSB has a picture of this.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Smaay, I live in Santa Rosa, so getting it to you would probably cost me a fortune in towing. I have AAA, but I'm not sure exactly how far they tow for free on my plan, but I think it's just 100 miles... I've got friends on the phone with people they know, it's just hard to know who is really reputable and qualified for the job. However, if I can't find anyone soon, I may consider it and look into it further.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
but since I dropped the chain like an idiot, I think it unlinked from the crank shaft, and is now off down there....
I don't have much to add to this thread since the problem is known. Just thought I'd let you know that it's virtually impossible to unlink the chain from the crank sprocket even if you drop it down the timing cover. The oil pump surround and the crank sensor face plate pretty much keep it in place.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So I've got the crankshaft and cam gears aligned at TDC now, and I got my car started. It ran fine for about 5 minutes, and then it started making a ticking noise again... Doesn't seem to be running icky - I've got compression, accelerate fine, all that good stuff, just getting a ticking. Ideas?

·
Registered
340 Posts
Depends on the ticking sound...the engines on the GTS are notorious for ticking and sounding like a diesel truck.....if it's running fine with no CEL, it's probably fine....post a video or sound clip of the ticking if you're still concerned...

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
do a compression test and post the results. i have a video on here showing how

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That "how to" was helpful Smaay! You are quite amazing. Results from left to right (I have no idea which cylinders are which):

190, 150, 150, 145

So they are right at the minimum on the 3, and pretty close to optimum on the first one. I'll post a video later with the sound of it ticking...

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Hi all. This is my first post here on the main board, and I have a major problem!

I went to replace my lift bolts on my 2001 gts, and one was broken. I partially followed the guide on here (yes, I admit I didn't follow it exactly). While either disassembling or reassembling everything, something must have gone wrong.

The first time I got everything back together and got it up and running, there was a ticking noise - sounding like possible timing issues. So I took it all apart again, but my tick marks on the cam gears and timing chain were gone. My boyfriend decided to help me and told me that the orange links on my timing chain should match up with the long notches in the cam gears. So we readjusted the chain to match up there - assuming that was top dead center. But now my car won't start. It's turning over but not starting. Lack of compression?

I've been trying to troubleshoot everything, but as I am super new to cars (and shouldn't have attempted this on my own to begin with) I really am not sure what could be wrong.

My assumption is that when I took the chain off when disassembling the head, I didn't tie it back - I let it sit on the nob below the gears. Therefore, perhaps the chain isn't aligned on the crankshaft causing my timing to be off?

Ideas? Anyone have this happen? Did I mess up my valves when I first started it back up and heard the ticking?

I called the Toyota dealership here...they quoted me $1200 for a timing chain replacement. I can't afford that! So hopefully you guys have some good feedback for this lost and frustrated girl!

Thanks!!
chivalry is not dead!!!!!!! :eek:

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
That "how to" was helpful Smaay! You are quite amazing. Results from left to right (I have no idea which cylinders are which):

190, 150, 150, 145

So they are right at the minimum on the 3, and pretty close to optimum on the first one. I'll post a video later with the sound of it ticking...
Bad numbers. If 190 is the highest then any other cylinder should have at least 174. The maximum difference between cylinders should be 16 psi. You likely bent valves slightly on cylinders 2, 3 and 4, which could explain the ticking.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
yep, sounds like you bent the exhaust valves. this is very common in this situation. now you can follow my guide on how to remove the engine and then how to tear it down.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
:(

Would a valve adjustment help??? Or, as I read in another thread, do our engines not really need them?

Looks like I'll just have to get my valves replaced though. Poop.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Adjusting the valves will only do so much, you're just making them make a little bit more contact with the seats.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh boy..

Just got a call from the mechanic. The exhaust cam gear sprocket was loose and this morning when he ran it to listen to it, it broke off and shut off the engine. Sooo.... now I have no compression in 2 cylinders, and he's gonna pull off the head to see if there's any damage other than the valves. I guess we forgot to torque down that 14mm bolt... and now I'm out at least $2000. For a stupid bolt. Meh.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
why did you take the gear off in the first place. Its not in my guide at all to take that gear off. if this did happen you might have more damage than you think. the engine MUST be pulled and inspected. you need to take off the timing cover and see what damage the chain did to the oil pump.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts