NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased a Celica with tints in the driver and passenger windows. However, tints are illegal in NJ and I need to take them off b/c cops in my town are asses and i'm positive i'm gonna be getting pulled over if i drive with them on. Do you guys know how to take off tints? I read some websites, and they seem to get really technical and confusing. Is there any easy and safe way to take off tints?

·
Registered
21,056 Posts
Easy way... pull a corner up from under the window seal at the bottom. Pull off as much as you can.

Use a spray bottle with Windex, or a mixture of soap and water with a razor blade to scrape off the glue. It's time consuming, but it's the best way.

·
Registered
21,056 Posts
Originally posted by larryd
Or if you wanna spend a little cash you can take the car to any tint shop and theyll remove it for you.
Be careful of this though, my friend had his removed, and they spilled something on his suede interior, messed it up. Be sure to choose a reputable shop.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Just use a bottle with water and soap and a razor liek metioned above. keep adding water and soap constantly after you remove a piece and it will not take that long and you will save some $$$$.

·
Registered
8 Posts
you can't use a razor blade on the back window cuz of the defrost lines. You can use paint reducer though to get the glue off, not that cheap paintr thinner but reducer from a body shop, or somewhere they sell auto paint, just rub with this stuff and some paper towel and it'll all come off

·
Registered
251 Posts
Something that worked very well for me was to spray the window liberally with simple green. Stick some plastic (I used some cut up black plastic bags) to the window so that the simple green is wedged in between and can't run down the window. Take a hair dryer and start heating the plastic up. After you get a corner section hot enough, use a razor blade to pull up enough tint so that you can grab it with your fingers and start pulling and heating the section that you are pulling off at the same time. If you do it correctly, all the resedue will come off (if heated enough before pulling off) so you don't have anything to clean up. Don't rush because you'll spend more time trying to get all the resedue off if you don't heat the tint hot enough. I got the tint off in one piece doing it this way. This technique worked very well for not pulling up any defroster lines.

Your two front windows should take half an hour or less to do. Much more if you just start pulling the tint off and then having to clean up the resedue. So make sure you heat it up nicely (pulls right off when it's heated up)!

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok. My friend said he might have a heat gun. I"ll try getting the simple green stuff and try taking it off. If it doesnt work too well i'll try the windex method on the other window. Hopefully i can do this today. I'll let you guys posted on the results. Thanks

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
anything with ammonia in it will help remove the tint....this is what tint shops use to remove it when you take it in to them. (also why they say not to use windex with ammonia to clean your tinted windows)

i probably wouldn't bother removing the tint until i was pulled over for it.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok i finally got the tint off with my friend. We acutally didnt use the simple green stuff, b/c it was like 4 bucks and b/c i was hungry i used that money to get myself a 2 cheeseburger meal. So we just started to use a razor to get one of the end started and just pealed it off. It was a sunny day so it came off quite eaisly. There was some residue left, so we used this thing called OOPS that my friend had and the goo was all gone. easy as pie. Thanks for all your help though.

·
Registered
34 Posts
dont take ur tints off
I live in nj and I have 35% all around and have never got pulled over for them once

if u see a cop just roll down the windows or something

1 - 14 of 14 Posts