NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have a 00' Toyota Celica GT-S Automatic with Tiptronic/M-Mode. I've noticed that when I hard accelerate while in automatic mode that it's very noticeable. RPM's shoot up a bit and I gain speed faster. Though when I hard accelerate while in M-Mode that it is barely noticeable. The RPM's go up a little faster, but the speed gain is not very noticable compared to when I push the gas pedal halfway. I know the descriptions are vague, but I have no idea how to properly explain outside of this.

Is the difference in acceleration between both of the modes meant to function like this, or do I have an issue on my hands?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong section, not sure if this is a repair issue or just how the car functions.​

·
Registered
188 Posts
Hi, I have a '00 GT-S Tiptronic M mode too!!! and in my case when I hard accelerate using the M-mode at 1st gear and change to 2nd the Rpm go up like more or less 200-300 Rpm before the 2nd gear activated.
Some opinions are welcome.... or some comments about Tiptronic/M-mode Celica transmissions because not all Celi are C60.
Maintenance, oil change, repairs, tips and etc.!!!!
Thanks!

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
Todem-sounds like you have another issue to deal with. all M-Mode does is let the driver control the shifting.

Fernan2zz, the triptonic shifting in the celica is far from amazing, the quarter to half second delay is fairly normal. had it ever since i bought the car. just the way they were built

·
Registered
188 Posts
Thanks bro... but at high RPM like 6800-7000 its more notable!
Thank you!
I would like to know the maintenance of this trans!!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
fernan2zz do a tune up on it. New filter and tranny fluid, if you never done one it may help to track it down usually that happens when the maintenance ha
sent been kept up

·
Registered
188 Posts
fernan2zz do a tune up on it. New filter and tranny fluid, if you never done one it may help to track it down usually that happens when the maintenance ha
sent been kept up
Thank you Mr. Celestial... What are you recommended me for the tune up? like filter and tranny fluid etc.. part# and fluid brand and especificatiions pls.
Thanks.

·
Chronic Celica Owner
409 Posts
I had the automatic version originally. It was horrible to drive. You couldn't pull into traffic because you'd get rear-ended, because it had no acceleration. You can actually run faster the first 20 feet. It feels like your starting in 3rd gear instead of 1rst. Eventually, after a painful 8 seconds, it will finally hit lift and you get a short burst of power before it's time to shift. Then the tiptronic shifter takes another second to react, and doesn't shift instantly when you tell it to. That was why I did the first conversion to 6 speed and had my write up on this site. The engine is designed for the 6 speed, and I can't believe Toyota even bothered making an auto version. They could have at least put in a high stall converter and better gear ratio.

I haven't looked lately, but maybe they make a high stall torque converter now. Then you would get better acceleration, and still keep the automatic.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts