NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well just as the title says, I'm a complete tire n00b. I'm going to be purchasing 18x7.5 wheels. I have a TRD Drop and I'm looking to get as much traction as possible... I've been told to purchase BFGoodrich G-Force Sport.. Opinions? Thanks guys!

Sorry for the noobness... I admit it, haha.

·
Registered
5,168 Posts

·
Registered
2,222 Posts
I have BFGoodrich g-Force sports, and love them, no problems, quiet stick well, and have a fairly high treadware rating for a tire in the category. On tire rack, look at the graph, scored well everywhere and relatively inexpensive.

Two of my friends have BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 on the Acuras (TL and CL-S)
Also a great tire, obvisouly better than the g-force, but alot more $$$ and my friend that has them on his TL got about 10-12k miles outta them.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
timm3r said:
18X7.5? a little big and heavy if you are a performance person.
Light weight rims are your freind, have to pay to play. I'll be running rota's at the track.
badceli said:
I think the BFGoodrich g-Force T/A KDW 2 would be a little better....
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+T/A+KDW+2

People who bought the BFGoodrich g-Force Sport didn't seem to like it....
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport

Also consider the Bridgestone Potenza....
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/bs_re01r.jsp

And you thought I only give you a hard time.
Haha, Yeah, I'll take a look at those. The new rims come on the 20th so I have some time. What tires your running? How's the car coming along?

Just got mine back the other day... Break in period is fun..

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
timm3r said:
18X7.5? a little big and heavy if you are a performance person.
18's won't matter much to a turboed car for spirited daily driving. If he were N/A, I would ask him why the hell he bought 18's.

Korywithak said:
my friend that has them on his TL got about 10-12k miles outta them.
12k miles?! Screw that! I would never use a tire that soft for daily driving. I thought GT211 was asking for a track/daily driver tire.

GT211 said:
Haha, Yeah, I'll take a look at those. The new rims come on the 20th so I have some time. What tires your running? How's the car coming along?

Just got mine back the other day... Break in period is fun..
No, forget about those tires I mentioned. I didn't know you also have track wheels. That changes things. For daily driving I'll use Dunlop SP Sport FM901....
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Dunlop&tireModel=SP+Sport+FM901
235/40/18 on my Wolf 77 18X8.5 wheels.

I bought these tires because they were $109....treadwear is 200, which is pretty good and they should grip pretty well on the street.

For the drag strip I'll use drag radials on a set of 17X8 SSR Type-C wheels....13.5 lbs.
Haven't decided on which tires to use for autocross yet.

Now the Civic hatchback I just bought will probably get a set of 14X6 SSR Type-C wheels....7.8 lbs....since it's such a small car and it will stay N/A.

Progress on my Celica seems to have come to a halt. I guess the SM4 ECU turned out to be a little more complicated than expected.

Glad to hear you're back on the road though. Which Rotas did you get? Next to the SSRs, I'm also considering the Rota GT3 for my Civic, but can't find a weight for them anywhere.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
badceli said:
Glad to hear you're back on the road though. Which Rotas did you get? Next to the SSRs, I'm also considering the Rota GT3 for my Civic, but can't find a weight for them anywhere.
Thanks! It feel awesome to drive again.. It's been to long.

I was looking at the Rota Grid or Rota Boost, You might like the Rota Boost they have the same look as the SSR Comps/Type C's. I havn't looked up the weights yet. I think there is a database on here. I don't know the link off hand but I know it's on here because I've used it before.

badceli said:
I bought these tires because they were $109....treadwear is 200, which is pretty good and they should grip pretty well on the street.
I'm going to take a look at these. I just don't want to spin through every gear yet I don't want to be buying new tires every couple thousand...

Sorry to hear about the delays, but if anything it will feel 10x better when you get it back. My car was down for 11months and boy did it feel awesome to drive.. I think you're up there also if I'm not mistaken?

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
83841 said:
Cant go wrong with Yokahama Parada Spec 2 or Pirelli P-ZERO's
Yes, those also seem like very good tires. Do you have any experience with them?

GT211 said:
I was looking at the Rota Grid or Rota Boost, You might like the Rota Boost they have the same look as the SSR Comps/Type C's.
I like the looks of Grids better than the Boost, but I'm not sure what they weigh. Some sites say 18 lbs, some say 16 lbs...
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0LaSuKBh...rchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ROTGRIDPS
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0Je56lEi...tmwheels.com/product_info.php?products_id=163
I do like the Rota Boost, but most say it weighs 20 lbs....way too heavy.
http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A0geurlqj...06826/**http://www.fastwrx.com/rotaboost.html

I would consider 15" Grids for the Civic though, since they are only 12 lbs and cost about $100 each.
GT211 said:
My car was down for 11 months.. I think you're up there also if I'm not mistaken?
:laugh: 11 months....I wish. Try three years and counting.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
badceli said:
:laugh: 11 months....I wish. Try three years and counting.
Well looks like I'm once again couting the days. Oil is leaking along with coolant, and I think my Throw Out bearing is gone.. I'm going to try and lube my clutch to see if that heps..

·
Registered
41 Posts
Falken Azenis RT615 has a few sizes that would fit that rim.. although i dont know the clearance under the fender.
225/45/18 (sidewall might be too tall)
255/45/18 (same problem only worse)
225/40/18 (best bet with the azenis)
Kumho Ecsta MX are also nice..
215/35R18 (should work no problems)
225/40R18 (lots of grip, same profile as the smallest azenis)

I picked the azenis because of the predictable grip 'at limit' and beyond
I've found that the ecstas grip just goes at the limit
and when you get them out of the heat range neither work all too well

·
Registered
5,168 Posts
GT211 said:
Well looks like I'm once again counting the days. Oil is leaking along with coolant, and I think my Throw Out bearing is gone.
:faint: :( That sucks. Stories like this are going to make me never drive my Celica.

Before I started building my motor, I asked soceur for his advise. He said...."Don't do it....add a turbo kit and run a nice safe 8 psi. Forget about this whole 500 hp thing. You will only be braking things and when it does run, you'll be afraid to drive it for fear of breaking something else".

I didn't listen to him. Now I regret it.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
^^ haha yeah, the funny part is everything went wrong while the car was at 4.5psi.. I really don't know what the problem is this time.. It has to be a throwout bearing cause it's not the motor.. Ah well I'll get it figured out this week and hopfully running again soon..

The one thing I've learned is that you have to check and double check everything before you drive.

·
Registered
878 Posts
from what i heard, the parada spec 2 are very grippy but when they start to worn out, their loud, BTW David what rims did you end up getting? i've been tempted to get some bronze rota 15 slipstreams for awhile now

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Toonie said:
from what i heard, the parada spec 2 are very grippy but when they start to worn out, their loud, BTW David what rims did you end up getting? i've been tempted to get some bronze rota 15 slipstreams for awhile now
I bought the Raze R-74 Gunmetal. I love them. We should meet up soon and have alittle Celica meet on Uni.

Havn't bought new tires yet though, still debating on which ones will be best. I had 215/35/18 Yokohama Specs on there when I first drove my car once I got it back and just spun.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts