NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i bought 2 new Yokahama Avid H4's to replace my 2 bald ones in the front. I decided to rotate tires as well. Goto the shop, they put new tred on the rims, i leave and park my car at home...........and i get out to check all tires, look from a far to see how she looks........i notice my front right tire is rather low.........i go up close........****in 3 cock suckin nails are stuck in........popped my still good tires.........i was LIVID! so i went back, and the tire was done, now i gatta buy a new tire.......thats my story.

-Steve

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
It's a flat not popped...
I thought it blew while driving...

I had Yokohama ES100
After 10k miles I got a nail stuck right between side wall and tread.... after repair, the tire was shreaded on the highway.... I had to get some cheap tire but I had to pay alot since I was in middle of the highway...

Then around 15k another one just separated right between the sidewall and thread again.... on the highway...

Now I have one ES100, one some cheap brand tire,, and two Fuzion tire...
I'll never gona use ES100, traction wasn't all that great for that price anyways....
Fuzion seems cheaper but better tracktion....

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Recently I got a nail in mine, luckily I was able to plug it, but still I have a very slow leak. It's a PITA since I have the tires filled with Nitrogen and have to go to the store to have it filled (it's free). I wonder if I should use that liquid green stuff to fully stop the leak on the next time I have to get the tire pressure up again, any one else got any other ideas?

·
Registered
243 Posts
6speedGTS said:
Recently I got a nail in mine, luckily I was able to plug it, but still I have a very slow leak. It's a PITA since I have the tires filled with Nitrogen and have to go to the store to have it filled (it's free). I wonder if I should use that liquid green stuff to fully stop the leak on the next time I have to get the tire pressure up again, any one else got any other ideas?
plugs will last for a while, but not really permanent. And definately dont put the green stuff in the tires, it'll rust the rim and and tire shop you take it to, to get it fixed will not be happy with you...believe me i used to work in a tire shop.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I heard that the liquid fix flat stuff can actually do more damage to your tire than stop the air coming out. one of my boys told me that he used that ****, and the place where he applied that stuff ended up shredding off the tire.

as for myself, I always carry a plug kit in my car. been thinking about getting a 5th rim and getting on of those non-rotationary tires for a temporary fix if in case I do get a flat that I can't fix myself!

·
Registered
165 Posts
what do you guys think about the kuhmo ecsta 711. found them on tirerack.com for 48/ea, which I would say is pretty reasonable for a 16" tire. I read the review on the tire and it seems to have a pretty good review. what do you guys think?

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
nokiaman said:
" Ihave the tires filled with Nitrogen " could you give me mroe info on this?

Sure, over a period of time tires lose pressure no mater what. On average you lose a pound a month. Compared to air, Nitrogen has a larger molecule, so the tire losses pressure slower than compressed air. Nitrogen is also more more stable than air, it's an inert gas, it maintains the same pressure, does not expand so handling is constant, and improves gas mileage (so they clam) I can't prove it since my driving is aggressive most of the time and we just switched to 10% ethanol so I have really no clue at this time. Race cars of all classes use nitrogen, NASCAR, F1, ect. I paid less than $6 per tire with free refills at my local Tire Warehouse, The draw back is if you have a leak like I have it's not like at every gas station there is a Nitrogen refill station. But I do A/C work so investing in a regulator and a small bottle of gas would be a worth while for me. If you can't find some one who offers this service, you can look up in the phone book under welding supplies (Gas) to buy the equipment.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
YaNg^_^GuY said:
I heard that the liquid fix flat stuff can actually do more damage to your tire than stop the air coming out. one of my boys told me that he used that ****, and the place where he applied that stuff ended up shredding off the tire.

as for myself, I always carry a plug kit in my car. been thinking about getting a 5th rim and getting on of those non-rotationary tires for a temporary fix if in case I do get a flat that I can't fix myself!

So I hear, I found out that a patch can be place inside the tire over the plug to seal it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Yeah i took the tire to OK Tire and they said they patch it from the inside. When i took the tire there i noticed the pressure of the tire caused the inside of the wheel wall to actually start to wear and rip on both sides(inner side of tire).

They told me once they see this they can repair the tire, and now i need a new one.

Tirerack.com here i come again.

Anyone use these guys?? I think they are the best on the net.

-Steve

·
Registered
275 Posts
6speedGTS said:
So I hear, I found out that a patch can be place inside the tire over the plug to seal it.
ummm, have you ever tried to put on low pro tires at a shop by yourself. that **** is a bitch, and scary if you don't know what your're doing especially if the machine that you're using don't have the air pressure to pop the tire in place. like I said, I do everything myself and I wouldn't really go through the trouble of trying to patch my tire up from the inside.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts