NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19,279 Posts
They are excellent tires, but for the price. Kuhmo Ecsta 712's can't be beat. And I'm not just saying that b/c I have them. :)

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
kaioshin said:
They are excellent tires, but for the price. Kuhmo Ecsta 712's can't be beat. And I'm not just saying that b/c I have them. :)
Bah, I despise those tires after having them. Sure they are cheap, but they don't have the grip I require.

I have Bridgestone Potenza RE730s, they seem to be about equal grip to the stock Yoko's but with a longer treadlife.

·
Registered
8,908 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here is another tire question, what size do I want? The sizing thing really boggles my mind.

·
Registered
19,279 Posts
you want tires that match your rims. I think you can get as wide as 215 or 220 depending on the stock tire size. The wider tires give you more contact patch, but I'm not sure how it affects sidewall stiffness.

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
kaioshin said:
you want tires that match your rims. I think you can get as wide as 215 or 220 depending on the stock tire size. The wider tires give you more contact patch, but I'm not sure how it affects sidewall stiffness.
220?

·
Registered
8,790 Posts
the only bad thing i have heard about he t1-s is uneven thread ware and wearing out too early

also jake are you moving to 17's if yes than go with this size 215/45/17 its perfect :)

nyoneway- i think he meant 225

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
S-03 all the way!!!! i got a set of 215-45-17 S-03's and i love them, a little on the pricey side but they are awesome tires!!!! I can wholeheartedly recommend them. I also have heard a LOT of good things about the new Kumho MX, a few of my friends have them and swear by them. One friend had a set of S-03's on his S2000 on a set of 17 in TE37's. when he switched to the Kumho MX he was surprised the tires handled and rode identically to the S-03's, at a FAR lower price. He commented that they were awesome in wet and dry as were the S-03's, i think this is a tire that i will get next time around, its a hell of a lot cheaper.

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
i have Toyo Proxes 225/40/18's on mine jake and they are awesome. honestly, i would stick with 40's cuz with anythign lower than that, you run a very high risk of bending a rim if you hit a pothole- and since you seem to have bad luck with potholes, trees, turns, and flat tires, I would stick with 40's , maybe even 45's, hehe

·
Registered
19,279 Posts
WillyK said:

Bah, I despise those tires after having them. Sure they are cheap, but they don't have the grip I require.

I have Bridgestone Potenza RE730s, they seem to be about equal grip to the stock Yoko's but with a longer treadlife.
True... I am comparing these tires to performance all seasons. :chuckles:

Problem with me is that tread life is A MAJOR issue. so I can't really afford to get sticky tires, unless I want to buy new ones every other month. :(

As for tire size. I don't know it offhand and it was just a guess. :)

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Jake,
You drive your car everyday and in all weather conditions, thus after having spoken with 3 tire techs locally I went with Sumitomo HTRZ. The size I ran was 205/40/17z . This Sumi is a high performance (z rated) ALL SEASON tire that wore evenly, had fantastic cornering grip/durability and allowed me to stay on the road this winter when others were fish tailing and putting themselves into ditches. I highly recommend them. Remember that Sumitomo manufactures ALL of Dunlop's high performance tires.

Personal Opinion: Kumhos/Nittos are absolute crrrrrrrrrrrrrap

·
Registered
220 Posts
Baldhead_J said:
Jake,
You drive your car everyday and in all weather conditions, thus after having spoken with 3 tire techs locally I went with Sumitomo HTRZ. The size I ran was 205/40/17z . This Sumi is a high performance (z rated) ALL SEASON tire that wore evenly, had fantastic cornering grip/durability and allowed me to stay on the road this winter when others were fish tailing and putting themselves into ditches. I highly recommend them. Remember that Sumitomo manufactures ALL of Dunlop's high performance tires.

Personal Opinion: Kumhos/Nittos are absolute crrrrrrrrrrrrrap
I thought that the HTR-Z was a 3 season...I have the HTR+ and that is listed as their top all-season High Performance. The nexxt step down id listed as the Sorixon 4 (or something like that).

I am pretty sure that the HTRZ is just 3 season.

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
You know, now that you mention it, I may have the + and not the Z. I'll have to check again when I get back home. I think I still have 2 laying around.

·
Premium Member
21,896 Posts
I might be in the market for tires too, and the Sumitomos look really good for the price at tirerack.com $95 each

1 - 16 of 16 Posts