NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Im installing the TK.com turbokit and trying to install the downpipe now but it seems to be impossible. Downpipe is in touch with the rear engine silentblock. I have problem with airfilter also.
Have you any idea please???

upper view

from downside

airfilter

·
Registered
816 Posts
I know for the air filter you need to bend your power steering hard lines carefully for it to fit, some also just run a screen across inlet.

Never heard of the downpipe having clearance issues?? Maybe email tk.com a pic of your downpipe to see if it is right part... should fit?

·
Registered
816 Posts
I believe you can remove that top rubber dampener from the actual motor mount itself to make clearance, just leave it out, or trim. It is steel though, coated in rubber, tough to grind.
Just remove top bolt and pull it out. is what I would do. I had to take out front one from cleanace issues as well from a aluminum rad.

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
I would cut two slits in the pipe, to get the pipe to "z" and the fill or just reweld it. That will get you the clearance from the mount, and keep the pipe straight to connect to your exhaust.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Im surprised of clearance issue because this kit is used. I sent this to TK.com also so Im waiting for the reply. I dismount the top dampener but.. the downpipe is in the touch with rubber side of mount and with bolt of mount also. There is pressure when Im trying to tighten the bolts on downpipe. There is missing few centimeters of clearance.. I cant understand what could cause that.. maybe I will leave it as is..

·
Registered
3,620 Posts
I had same issue my shop just rewelded it I can post some picks or just search for my name on this forum for some of my posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
I don't have the TK manifold, but my turbine faces your same side. This is what I did. Hope this helps a bit!!

I slapped a 90 degree reducer so my turbo doesn't suck water when it rains and aslo gets more air in

·
Registered
285 Posts
MATGO,

I had the same problem, and still do, mine actually just barely touches and will work without the rubber damper. I was just thinking about how to fix this problem without cutting the pipe, I was wondering if you clock the exhaust side of the turbo up just a little, would it clear the engine mount?

·
Registered
775 Posts
Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing. The customer who had the kit before you didn't say of any trouble. Nor do I see any rubbing or anything on the pipe? Could it be alignment with the manifold to head, manifold to turbo and turbo to downpipe. A slight misalignment at the top can throw it off tons at the bottom.

We didn't receive an e-mail about this either, what address did you send it to?

Im surprised of clearance issue because this kit is used. I sent this to TK.com also so Im waiting for the reply. I dismount the top dampener but.. the downpipe is in the touch with rubber side of mount and with bolt of mount also. There is pressure when Im trying to tighten the bolts on downpipe. There is missing few centimeters of clearance.. I cant understand what could cause that.. maybe I will leave it as is..

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah, I was just thinking the same thing. The customer who had the kit before you didn't say of any trouble. Nor do I see any rubbing or anything on the pipe? Could it be alignment with the manifold to head, manifold to turbo and turbo to downpipe. A slight misalignment at the top can throw it off tons at the bottom.
He said that on his car it was close to the engine mount but not as close as mine. Yes maybe some aligment on head and mainfold do that.
I cut the pipe and let it weld by mechanic. (Mechanic said it was pain to weld it :)) I have removed rubber also and now it is much better, so I hope everything will be fine. Im just finishing the installation

We didn't receive an e-mail about this either, what address did you send it to?
Unfortunately I sent mail "as reply" to the tech.. probably that was wrong

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Here is picture of rewelded downpipe. It is much better but I have other issue - I cant fit the rear part of exhaust.. it looks like the downpipe is really bad piece. Exhaust is too low and moved to the left side. I will post other photos soon

·
Registered
775 Posts
If the pipe was cut and re-welded. It is possible that threw the alignment off. It's all very odd, this was an already installed kit, not sure why things aren't fitting properly on your Celica? Please send us pictures and details so we can try to help.

Thanks

Here is picture of rewelded downpipe. It is much better but I have other issue - I cant fit the rear part of exhaust.. it looks like the downpipe is really bad piece. Exhaust is too low and moved to the left side. I will post other photos soon

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
We have had to modify the downpipe on every single TK.com kit we have installed on the Celica (GT and GTS both) for the same problem. They all hit the rear engine mount and one of them hit the PS lines as well. We now include the following information in the quoting process when people ask about install time for the TK.com kit:
1 - Downpipe will probably need need to be re-clocked,
2 - slip fit exhaust is going to leak and will probably need to be welded behind the front O2 sensor
3 - some charge pipes may need to be cut and re-welded for things to line up properly
4 - The intercooler mounting tabs don't really support anything
5 - If you don't upgrade to the Garret turbo there is a good chance your turbo will be chugging oil in a year or so.

These have been our experiences with the kit. The manifold is pretty good if you port match it though.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If you want to do the turbo rebuild seriously you have probably to rebuild almost whole TK.com kit.

I wish to rotate the turbo on mainfold and get some bolt on downpipe. I still have problem to route the intake on passenger side!
Is possible to get any downpipe which will fit on TK.com mainfold/turbo rotatd to passenger side??
Making it custom is not easy job I think

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hello Boosted2.0,

1 - We did have a run of downpipes where we heard of this issue, but this is the first time we are hearing it in quite some time. When is the last one that had the same motor mount interference problem? We check every downpipe in the same jig that has been used since the HASS days.

2 - This is a good suggestion, slip fits can leak.

3 - Really, one thing we have consistent feed back on is how well the piping fits, it is tight, but modifications aren't typically necessary?

4 - Between the pipes and the bracket we send, the intercooler sits snug.

5 - A few customers of our early turbos did have some issues, we have long since addressed them and are onto close to 100 units sold without any warranty issues.

Thanks for the feedback.

We have had to modify the downpipe on every single TK.com kit we have installed on the Celica (GT and GTS both) for the same problem. They all hit the rear engine mount and one of them hit the PS lines as well. We now include the following information in the quoting process when people ask about install time for the TK.com kit:
1 - Downpipe will probably need need to be re-clocked,
2 - slip fit exhaust is going to leak and will probably need to be welded behind the front O2 sensor
3 - some charge pipes may need to be cut and re-welded for things to line up properly
4 - The intercooler mounting tabs don't really support anything
5 - If you don't upgrade to the Garret turbo there is a good chance your turbo will be chugging oil in a year or so.

These have been our experiences with the kit. The manifold is pretty good if you port match it though.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
Hello Boosted2.0,

1 - We did have a run of downpipes where we heard of this issue, but this is the first time we are hearing it in quite some time. When is the last one that had the same motor mount interference problem? We check every downpipe in the same jig that has been used since the HASS days.

2 - This is a good suggestion, slip fits can leak.

3 - Really, one thing we have consistent feed back on is how well the piping fits, it is tight, but modifications aren't typically necessary?

4 - Between the pipes and the bracket we send, the intercooler sits snug.

5 - A few customers of our early turbos did have some issues, we have long since addressed them and are onto close to 100 units sold without any warranty issues.

Thanks for the feedback.
We most recently installed a kit a few months ago that was purchased in the 2014 Calender year - not sure how long "quite some time" is.

Either way I appreciate that y'all support the platform and offer the kit. We usually quote it to guys looking at the cost of an entry level system. We just always advise that there may be those issues we have encountered, and that they will have to pay to correct them if they occur.

·
Registered
397 Posts
For my Corolla XRS 2zz, I had to beat my downpipe in and reweld it to get it to fit and had to reweld my intercooler piping with my tig.

I had problems with the clocking of my turbo at first and the wastegate started to seize up after 6 months, but the turbo itself has been good and it's been ran hard for 1.5 years with about 300 dyno passes to date and numerous street beatdowns.

The things that have frustrated me about the turbo are the studs wanting to back out of the 5 bolt flange, the fact that the turbo t25 flange to exhaust manifold bolts are very time consuming to install because only the front passenger bolt is accessible with a ratchet and extension. It literally takes me an hour to install those other 3 bolts with a lift and some ground down/modified wrenches as well as some grinding on the manifold and that the area around the 5 bolt flange/studs has little clearance for a socket. I cut, beat and rewelded the area around the studs on the 5 bolt flange to allow myself more clearance to tighten those down harder and I used red thread locker and a lock washer to keep them from backing out. It's been 3 or 4 months since this happened last, so I'm hoping this is the magic combination.

I would bet that Haas jig is bad and a new jig is needed, really I would have paid extra for a t3 housing (more space to access the bolts) and vband outlet, which would probably save me 1+ hours in install time. This probably would have cost me an extra $100 and would be well worth the time savings?

I sent pictures to TK and they were very receptive and appreciative for the feedback and they warrantied my sticking wastegate/turbine housing as well, so that's another plus for them.

If it were up to me (which it is not) I would like TK to modify their jig as there is an obvious issue, whether it is with all Celicas/Corollas or just some of them due to some variance and to have the turbine housings cast with the proper space/clearance to get the bolts in the holes to hold the turbine to the exhaust manifold, an extra 1/2 inch in height and an extra 1/4 inch in area around the actual bolt head would be wonderful . The kit has been good to me, but this would give it more of an oem fit. I don't know if this is feasible, but their customer service is very good and because of that they are one of the few companies that may take the opinions in this thread and actually make changes. I will even volunteer to test fit things for them to verify if they choose to.

Maybe these pictures will help someone with their installation in the mean time as far as what might need to be done.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.