NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any one out there running the tokico spring/shock setup? I might have a chance to get these for almost free (warranty stuff, and a friend with a shop) and I wanted to know if they are worth a crap. How is the ride quality, and what kind of longevity can I expect from them? Any other problems with this set?

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
From what I have experienced and what I have heard, the hp struts are amongst the harsher. I have them coupled with the Eibach springs and really like the setup. If you can get them for next to free, hell yeah go for it.

Jon

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I may be able to get the trd strut/ spring combo instead, but it all depends on how much my extended warranty co. will approve. If they'll approve a full stocko replacement of struts and springs, plus labor ( all at dealership prices) then I should be able to do the trd's instead. if not, then i'll stick with the tokicos. That will only cost me $100 ( my deductible).

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
I would go with the TRDs, since they are Eibach and ?Tokico?. I know the springs are Eibach, and I know TRD JDM struts are Tokico. Anyway, it should be a great package.

Jon

·
Zettai Unmei Mokushiroku
28,865 Posts
Hmm, not sure if the JDM ones are different, but the USDM TRD struts are rebadged KYB GR2s. You can save a lot of money by getting the KYBs instead of the TRDs (they're EXACTLY the same; TRDs even say KYB GR2 on them :ugh: ). You can even get the KYB AGXs (adjustable) and pay less than the TRD struts.

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
I have the Tokico HP spring/strut combo on my car. I like it a lot, handles well, not too harsh, and stands up to a beating pretty well (I can safely say I drive over some of the worst roads in the counrty on a daily basis :ugh: ). I would not hesitate in recomending them. You can see pics of my car with them in my gallery.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
Originally posted by S|Lv3rBu||et
I have the Tokico HP spring/strut combo on my car. I like it a lot, handles well, not too harsh, and stands up to a beating pretty well (I can safely say I drive over some of the worst roads in the counrty on a daily basis :ugh: ). I would not hesitate in recomending them. You can see pics of my car with them in my gallery.
no more bouncing right???

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Excellent...Let them have their tar-tar sauce...
Thanks for the info. Especially about the trd struts. I thought that they were bilstein. For $$ sake, I will prob. do the tokico combo. I am getting married in Dec. , in Hawaii, So moolah is super tight. If i only have to pay $100 deductible for a brand spankin new suspension, I'm coo wid dat. Thanks again. Oh, by the way, the roads in oklahoma can take the pepsi challenge with your Mass. roads any day. Louisiana roads will still win hands down. Cajuns make good food, but sh***y roads!!

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
Originally posted by SharkyGTS
Oh, by the way, the roads in oklahoma can take the pepsi challenge with your Mass. roads any day. Louisiana roads will still win hands down. Cajuns make good food, but sh***y roads!!
Well, in any case, the roads here are crappy enough for me. Lemme put it this way: I live on the second steepest hill in the country, soo steep, it's still cobblestone! It is pretty fun to sled down in the winter tho :gap:

Enjoy your new suspension!

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
S|Lv3r,
Cobblestone, eh?!! That's got to be interesting during foul weather. Lots of slippy slidey. I got a feeling that this winter is gonna be a beyatch. Our summer was very mild (only got to 98 F), and it is already getting into the 50's at night. Anywho, how much actual drop did you get with the tokicos? The spec's say 1.25", but I try not believe everything in print. Do you scrape over speed bumps or anything? My driveway has a fairly good pitch to it, so I figure I'll have to come in at an angle cuz I don't want to smash up my Borla too bad.

·
Premium Member
9,606 Posts
Originally posted by SharkyGTS
how much actual drop did you get with the tokicos? The spec's say 1.25", but I try not believe everything in print. Do you scrape over speed bumps or anything? My driveway has a fairly good pitch to it, so I figure I'll have to come in at an angle cuz I don't want to smash up my Borla too bad.
I had Hotchkis spring on before, they advertise 1.5" front and 1.75" rear. I measured with the Hotchkis and with the Tokicos and the Tokicos did not differ much. And no, I don't scrape much at all, sometimes at the bottom of my hill... but thats because it a friggin bad-a$$ hill :scared:

·
Registered
623 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
S|Lv3rBu||et said:
I had Hotchkis spring on before, they advertise 1.5" front and 1.75" rear. I measured with the Hotchkis and with the Tokicos and the Tokicos did not differ much. And no, I don't scrape much at all, sometimes at the bottom of my hill... but thats because it a friggin bad-a$$ hill :scared:
That's great. I'll just have to be mindful of it for a while till I get used to the drop. Now the car is gonna be too low for my floorjack. I guess i could start it up on the ramps, and jack it up once I've got the clearance. My jack is 5 1/2" -5 3/4" closed, but it will lift 3 1/2 tons to 20 something inches. Good for my girl's 4x4 dodge hemi ram.

Thanks again for the info
-jeff

1 - 15 of 15 Posts