NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Super Moderator
43,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Toyota Files For a Trademark on 'Celica'
Toyota's planned revival of a "three brothers" sports car lineup may finally come to pass.

The three tiers originally included the Celica, the MR2 and the Supra. The Toyota Celica has been absent from global markets, however, since the seventh generation T230 platform went out of production in 2006, ending a 36-year-long run.

But recently, a search for "Celica" in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office's public archives yields four results. Two are for software, one is for Toyota's original USPTO trademark filing in 1973 (now expired), and one, the most recent, dated August 31, 2017, is another application by Toyota for the "Celica" trademark.

With the Toyota 86 in production rather than the MR2, however, the lineup of three may have to be changed to Celica-86-Supra. That said, rumors of a new MR2 persist, and Toyota may have to either axe the runt of the litter or make room for one more.

Should the Celica come back, it will hopefully feature a brand new rev-happy, naturally aspirated four-pot, like the 2ZZ-GE from the T230 Celica GT-S.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I wonder when the '73 filing expired. Is this a knee-jerk renewal or is there some flicker of hope? Based on their current offerings, Toyota has a long way to go in order to recreate what the T230 was, though.

·
Super Moderator
43,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Toyota Should Bring Back the Celica as a Hybrid
In the past week, we’ve heard that Toyota is plans to focus on building hybrid performance cars, the brand has renewed the trademark for the storied “Celica” name, and it’s launching a new performance sub-brand called GR. What if these nuggets could all manifest in one model?

I hope that they do and that Toyota brings back the Celica as a sporty, affordable, hybrid coupe. Enthusiasts like myself might be more interested in a high-revving, old-fashioned, internal combustion engine like the ones from the Celica’s past, but if Toyota can bring a sports car to the masses with hybrid technology that yields both better performance and better fuel economy, why wouldn’t we want that?

Toyota has a history of taking a supercar layout and bringing it to the masses. The brand did it in the 1980s with the MR2, an affordable, mid-engine sports car. It could do it again with a new hybrid Celica, a cheap, sporty, hybrid coupe which is currently absent from the market.

Not only does Toyota know a thing or two about good, affordable performance cars, but it’s responsible for bringing hybrid cars to the mainstream with the Prius, everyone’s favorite car to hate.

Yes, we know Toyota wasn't the first to the market with a commercially-available hybrid, but the Prius was certainly the first hybrid to gain any sort of market dominance in the green car segment and it’s still the most ubiquitous of all hybrids. As much as we may love to make fun of the Toyota Prius, those soulless bread boxes sell well enough for Prius to practically be its own sub-brand.

Speaking of sub-brand, let’s talk GR. Toyota GR will consist of sporty variants of existing models, one of which is the Prius Prime. Joining the Prius Prime in the small sporty hybrid party is the Toyota C-HR Hy-Power concept (not part of GR), which suggests better performance through a hybrid drivetrain.

But is a Prius and a C-HR going to get driving enthusiasts excited about sporty Toyota hybrids? Probably not. That’s why Toyota needs a new hybrid Celica. Heck, it could even be based on the Prius platform. Don’t laugh. Previous Celicas have been based on the pedestrian Corolla and CR-V.

Hybrid technology has come so far that it doesn’t have to be a crutch or a compromise anymore, but rather, a way to make a good performance car even better. The extra efficiency is just a bonus.

·
Argentum Chaos Vae Victis
6,652 Posts
Toyota Should Bring Back the Celica as a Hybrid
Agree 100%. Plus make a full electric version, ala Tesla Roadster. :thumbup:

·
@celicatoast
1,622 Posts
I have 50/50 hopes on the CELICA's revival. Companies renew trademarks all the time to prevent anyone else from using them. However the same assumption was made a few years back about the SUPRA name and look where we are now. We want another high revving YAMAHA engine like the 2zz!

·
Super Moderator
43,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sporty Toyota line will make waves in U.S.
The U.S. may not get Toyota's new vehicle series, but it will get some of the line's sporty spirit.

Toyota has unveiled a sports car series for Japan and says it will take the line international. Dubbed GR, for Gazoo Racing, the series went on sale here last week and will expand to Europe.

The idea: Offer a pulse-pumping twist on the typical Toyota.

In Japan, the series kicked off with GR versions of the Prius Prime plug-in hybrid and Yaris subcompact hatchback, along with select domestic models. The models get sporty tuning, rigid bodywork and performance trim such as aluminum pedals, big air intakes and small-diameter steering wheels.

The new venture also plans to develop a dedicated sports car platform, executives say. And Toyota wants to inject that sporty DNA into future products for the U.S. and elsewhere.

But don't expect the series to land stateside under the GR banner.

Part of the hang-up is that Toyota has an entrenched tuner line in the U.S. called Toyota Racing Development, or TRD. Executives see no need for new branding there.

Then there is the name itself. U.S. executives privately say they loathe the name Gazoo, which has no obvious Toyota tie-in. For some, the only image it conjures is the Great Gazoo, a green alien cartoon character from The Flintstones TV series in the 1960s.

Shigeki Tomoyama, president of Gazoo Racing Co., Toyota's motorsports and sports car division, said the company has no plans to use the GR name in America. But he said the treatment seen in the GR cars will be applied to future TRD entries and even production cars in North America.

"We are taking the challenge of adopting new tastes created in this process to stock cars as much as possible," Tomoyama said last week at the GR launch event here. "In its next phase, we will get a designated sports car platform and eventually — finally — we want to introduce a pure, genuine sports car, which can compete against top-class world competitors."

At a deeper level, Gazoo Racing pilots a new way of work for the company.

Gazoo Racing was cleaved off as a separate in-house subcompany of Toyota Motor Corp. in April with a mandate to cultivate a startup mentality and make streamlined decisions. It is supposed to take risks, act fast and bolster the brand image by injecting more emotion.

With a compact hand-picked staff of just more than 200 people, it handles all stages of product development, from design and engineering to production planning.

A key task is devising profitable ways to manufacture small batches of specialty cars.

The move comes as Japan's biggest automaker tries to cultivate a reputation for cars that are more emotional and aspirational, rather than simply reliable, utilitarian runabouts.

The new sports car line arrives ahead of an expected successor to the Toyota Supra, one of the brand's most storied sports cars. It could debut as early as next month's Tokyo Motor Show.

President Akio Toyoda, an accomplished race driver and the force behind Toyota's quest for zest, attended the GR launch and beguiled attendees afterward by doing doughnuts and burning rubber in the parking lot behind the wheel of his black and silver Gazoo Racing-spec Toyota 86.

"We have to show to the world that Toyota can actually make cars that are interesting," he said. "We want to satisfy customers for both mass produced cars and unique cars."

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
:popcorn:

·
Registered
29 Posts
What if they unveil a new rear drive Celica and spawn the Supra from there? Much like the 80's where the I4 was the Celica and the I6 was the Supra.. I doubt that Toyota would like to co-build their most anticipated sports car just to share it's platform with another automaker. The LFA was years in the making and it doesn't appear that platform was shared with any other automaker... just my 2 cents.. I can also be wrong and a Supra might be presented, but I think its too soon to spring the Supra just to have it fail.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I'd love it. Something in the vein of the early/mid-70s Celica would be awesome!

·
Registered
296 Posts
I would absolutly love the idea o hybrid celica, if you think of it, it would be a perfect solution even for our 7th gen celica, a high torque from the get go, light wheight car with a serious top end :drool:

But please toyota do not make the same mistake as honda did with the crx, new generation crz...

packed with technology, futuristic looks but totally underpowered...

·
Daddy Daycare
20,264 Posts
I don't know, I was kind of looking forward to having the final iteration of the Celica in 20 years as a classic.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Hybrid will NOT mean lightweight, I'm afraid.

·
Super Moderator
43,580 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Toyota Wants to Build a New Celica or MR2
Toyota wants to revive another sporty car to go alongside the Supra and 86.

Toyota is working hard to get back into the minds of enthusiasts. After 16 years without a high-performance sports car, the automaker is bringing back the Supra nameplate on an impressive rear-drive coupe. Once that's settled, the next vehicle in line could revive one of two famous Toyota models: Celica or MR2.

That's what I learned from Masayuki Kai, Assistant Chief Engineer on the Supra project, during my drive of a Supra prototype this week. "We want to have Celica back, we want to have the MR2 back," Kai told me. "The biggest was Supra. Supra was number one, the biggest demand from the market," he continued. "Now that we've brought Supra back, what will come next depends on the market needs."

Kai hinted that the Celica could return as an all-wheel drive compact performance coupe to compliment the rear-drive Toyota GT and Supra. Or perhaps the mid-engine MR2, if a business case can be made. "Or maybe it could be a completely different model," Kai said. "We'll have to wait and see."

Kai points out that today's market makes it more challenging to introduce niche, small-volume performance models. "Sports car are becoming more and more expensive to develop," he told me. "So a single company cannot afford to invest in all the tooling for parts and components, because the volume of sports car is quite small. A sports car requires a lot of specific components that you cannot share with other cars. The suspension components we're using on the Supra, you can't use on a sedan like Camry or Corolla. And as you know, all the homologation issues are also getting more and more complex and difficult."

One potential solution would be to forge another sports car partnership along the lines of Toyota's cooperation with BMW on the Supra and Z4 "I'm quite sure if we did not make this cooperation, they could not have brought the Z4 back on the market alone," Kai told me. "And without their cooperation, we would never have been able to bring back the Supra. So it's clear for us, we needed this partnership."

How, then, does a small automaker like Mazda continue to produce the MX-5 Miata without relying on a partnership with another automaker? I posed the question to Kai. "Maybe if you're developing sports cars over a very, very long time, like Mazda, you have to know how to make it cheaper," he said. "I believe they have a lot of know-how, gathered throughout the development of the MX-5." By contrast, Toyota hadn't been involved in the high-performance sports car market for over a decade. Unlike Mazda, which has been developing the Miata for nearly 30 years, Toyota's clean-sheet new Supra couldn't rely on recent experience in making sports cars.

"I believe there are a lot of things we need to learn from Mazda," Kai told me. "They never stopped developing the MX-5. They continuously developed that car. If you don't do this—like Toyota, stopping the Supra for 16 years—it's extremely difficult to bring it back."

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
If they can come up with a design that mimics the 70s Celica, man...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts