1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Does it need any other parts for the LSD to fit on the 2zz? or It could just be installed w/ no problem?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JOHN_B said:
Does it need any other parts for the LSD to fit on the 2zz? or It could just be installed w/ no problem?
From the add : "Can be installed with no additional parts, though some choose to replace worn diff. carrier bearings and spacers rings."

In my experience,... watching 5 cars get built (lsd, clutch,fw) I recall 3 needed/or was reccommended to change the diff.carrier bearings and spacer rings, and 2 did not,... or visa versa. It really is best to go to a place that specializes in manual trans only... (best if you trust them) and have them inspect "EVERYTHING" as they do the instal, it will only be about $40-50 more to check every synchro/bearing, gear, cut, etc... and replace whatever is needed than... while its all open. So that you get a product that is much greater than the original...

most general mechanic shops simply remove/replace (RR) the trans and send it someplace who can do the work, or sometimes worse yet, who thinks they can do the work. If they really specialize, you can get a badd ass/perfect product, much better than just sticking it in as almost anyone can do with decent instructions...

good luck to the winning bidder,... (and yes, to everyone else too)

·
Registered
4,279 Posts
How well does the Toyotal Helical perfrom compared to the discontinued TRD Helical or Quaife? I can never figure out if there's really a performance difference.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
nyoneway said:
How well does the Toyotal Helical perfrom compared to the discontinued TRD Helical or Quaife? I can never figure out if there's really a performance difference.
I would think the TRD helical (which is cancelled) would be much the same as the JDM helical. Just one was standard as JDM and one was made to be sold as an upgrade to USDM who did not have an LSD (as i understand it).

The TRD Clutch type TRD (which is what trd makes now) is a touch less driveable (more abrupt engagement), than helical, and has the added benifit (for service advisors and parts venders that is) of wearing out and possibly breaking, thus needing replacement and or 'rebuilding' where the helical does not. (build it to last for ever, and sell everyone 1,.. build it to last a while, and service it for life, or sell people more than one)... The Quaife is the exact same design and theory as the early trd helical/current jdm helical, (however, it may be made a bit beefier to take more potential abuse, thus the difference in warranty "Lifetime even when raced" vs. "1 year only when installed by dealer"-(standard for trd).

Function of the JDM and quaife should be identical, as they are both by design helical with what i understand to be equal biasing...(one way, vs. 1.5 way, vs. 2 way).

also, at the moment the quaife on sale is $$$1295 plus shipping and or tax at mwr, while the JDM unit i have on sale is now $680 shipped (buy it now), and less if you are the only bidder, but more if there are lots of bidders and nobody chooses buy it now (when bids begin, ebay automatically dropps the buy it now,.. so often items go for more than the buy it now). With this in mind, i am kinda surprised nobody has done the 'buy it now' yet, as so many are watching it and have it saved to favorites... that to me, the differece of trying to save $30 or less, versus loosing it, i would just buy it now (speaking as if i was a buyer myself mind you...not as a vender which i also am in this case..)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts