NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
background info
http://www.newcelica.org/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=128538

I took my car in last week to have them reset the airbag light and check the belt tenssioner, $87. Bent me over, whatever. I get in the car to leave and had a hard time getting it into reverse, but after a few minutes it went. I never jammed it, but working it into gear. Half way to work it gets stuck between 5/6th and I had to pull over to check it out. Moved the linkage under the hood and finally get it free.

Take it back and tell them they F'd my car up and show them the lock ball assembly that come out, which missing pieces to it that most likely were in the tranny now. After a few days they tell me they put the new part in and now it pops out of gear. Tell me they have to look it over again.

I call back today and they tell me the tranny is shot, they haven't even opened it up and they tell me it is shot.

5 months, 3000 miles after they rebuilt the trany they tell me it is shot! I mean I babied it for the first 1000 miles after the rebuild. Rarely take it over 6k rpms after that, maybe 4-6 times a week at the very most. Shifting was tight when I got it but it shifted ok it seemed.

No now they give me standard you pay if it is not under warranty, needing my ok to go ahead. I got a lot of greif this past week with them tellimg me it was first due to improper shifting, then the short shifter, then the service manager telling me neither of them are issues at this time. However she says they will cover if it is a defect. I told her Moss Magnus act, read it!

I am so over this shyt! I have never had a car puke so much on me in my life!

Oh, DO NOT take your car to Checkered Flag Toyota in Virginia Beach! They will bend you over backwards everytime!

Sorry for being wordy, I am just upset and in disbelief.

·
Registered
159 Posts
i'm in the same boat as you man but in my case its my engine that went back. They are denying warranty because they say I abused the car and what not. But yeah, I went through one engine and 2 tranny. The engine gave up on me, spun a rod or something that like. It wasn't even a misshift. The tranny, the first time I took it in was for syncro replacement, they decide to open it up and replace the part....when they put it back together, they installed it wrong because in like a month, the tranny locked up. Finally they order me a brand new tranny. That solve that problem. They should have done it in the first place. So now my car is having issue with cylinder 2, missfire causing the seal to go bad or something like that. I am losing compression in cylinder 2. So they are saying that because I had a lot of warranty work done that I abused the car and thats why my car need a new motor. Its a bunch of BS...I'm gonna take it to another dealership and see what happen. Let me know how yours goes.

·
Registered
276 Posts
It's frustrating and I'm sorry to hear you're going through it to. Similar thing happened to me with my engine. The dealership that die the work under warranty would not stand behind their work a few months later when it failed again. It wasn't a manufacturer defect in my engine it was shoddy work done by a dealership tech. They even told me when I had the work done the first time that engine work was covered under a 12 month 12,000 mile dealership warranty.
I stand behind the work that I do and if somethings not right or someone is not happy I try to make it right so it's frustrating when others won't do the same!

Also try not to hold Toyota responsible for bad service. It is the individual dealership that is responsible. There are two good dealership service departments here in the Salt Lake valley and the rest are crooked as fawk!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I realize each service dept operates as it's own business but the tactics applied by CFT seem to be pretty shady. Implying the consumer abused, shifted improper, or whatever even before they have looked into the problem, or transmission in this case.

I will be taking my car to another servie dept after this. I have talked to a few others who take their car to Priority here in the area. I also have talked to a few of their mechnics and they seem to get some of CFT's un-finished work, bad workmanship or whatever you want to call it a little more than I had thought!

Just a heads up on CFT, don't go there!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They call me today telling me they found some shift cable bushing under the hood is missing. And they didn't see this before telling me my tyranny was "shot"? Again 2x the work to fix the problem at hand that was due to their incompetence in the first place!

I told them I want to see the car and have them show me what they think is wrong before putting in the new parts, so I have a meeting with the service manager tomorrow morning. They now they have accepted the responsibility and covering it under warranty, not Toyota 5/60 but the 1 year parts and labor warranty for the shop!

Like I said before, they jump the gun, blame the customer, use scare tactics by calling it abuse, and lie to cover up their mistakes. All to not have to correct 'their" mistake. Not a very good way to do business!

·
Registered
134 Posts
At least you got it all sorted.
One can never tell with service sometimes, maybe they knew it was their problem from the get go and wanted to see if they could squeeze cash out of you. When they realized, this guy knows what he is talking about they backed down and admitted the problem. Just guessing, you can tell my trust for service is not very high.
Never had to deal with them in this way but I too have had to argue and pull teeth for things that were very minor.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, it sucks that it has to be like this. They are now trying everything to avoid pulling the tranny. Even replace my short shifter with a stock one to see it that was the cause. Then said some other bushing was missing.

I have to go back down there and see what else they are trying to do tomorrow. I don't think they are very able without a CEL to push them in the right direction.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I went down there and the mechanic noticed some bushing that was missing so they ordered it however, it didn't work. They then popped the tranny. They now say it is unfixable and I am getting a "new" tranny. All done under the 5yr/60m warranty which ends 12/2/04 :). I hope since they don't have to do anything but connect it, all will be good. I hope they can handle that!

One thing I did when I went down there was request to only deal with the service manager. The others were giving me BS, lies and never calling me back. Since then I have been getting answers and callbacks promptly.

This will be tha last time they see my car! 3 weeks to diagnose the problem. Who knows how long it is going to take to put it back together!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts