NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Super Moderator
48,742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
New MR2 will be a coupe instead of roadster
The MR2 is making a comeback, Auto Express can reveal. Toyota is developing an exciting performance hybrid which would revive the much loved sports car and rival Honda’s upcoming CR-Z.

The new model will boast an amazing blend of performance, economy and low emissions, all wrapped up in a stunning body. It would be a fitting successor to the MR2, which ceased production in 2007.

Speaking exclusively to Auto Express at the Geneva Motor Show, Toyota executive vice president Masatami Takimoto said: “We are aware of the fondness with which the MR2 is held in the UK and Europe, and are developing a small hybrid sports car.

These artist’s impressions give you an idea of how it will look. At the front it mixes cues from Toyota’s FT-HS sports car concept with a deep lower air intake, while the side has a kick up on the door towards the roof. At the rear are lights from the FT-HS and a neat diffuser-style lower bumper.

·
Registered
1,898 Posts
hm.the concept doesnt appeal to me, but the name mr-2 does... i hope they do bring the mr2 back..or at lease a sports car soon

·
Registered
976 Posts
All these new cars coming out make make me feel so old.... The lines on them are just so...futuristic.... This "MR-2" will make the older ones look ancient...

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
I'm starting to get a feeling that if any Toyota rwd sporty coupe makes it to production either as a new Hachiroku, Celica, MR2, Supra, Scion or banana, by the time we get there it will be too hyped for its own good.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
Garbage!!

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
that car looks front engined.
Well, they might do like Ferrari and others and have that glass to see the engine :gap:

Anyways I do not see Toyota really doing any sports car. And seeing how their quality plummeted, I wouldn't even care if they finally do it.

·
Registered
11,645 Posts
Sports car & Hybrid should never be in the same sentence.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I like the curves of the FT-HS, but this 'potential' MR-S... Noooo! Just my advice :blah:

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Sports car & Hybrid should never be in the same sentence.
Things going like they are, there may be no alternative. People used to say diesels are for trucks, Audi thought otherwise.

·
It is known.
8,235 Posts
Never gonna happen.

·
Premium Member
11,002 Posts
1 - 20 of 93 Posts