NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally traced back the noise that I have been getting. Its a mix of a clicking/ticking sound. Anyway, it is coming from the passenger side of the head towards the rear.

This isn't my car, but it was the best picture I can find. What would be back there to make that sound?

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,528 Posts
belt tensioner

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,528 Posts
It can click...
other possibilities include timing chain noise, vvt controller, valvetrain noise.....

·
Registered
15 Posts
I think I had this noise too...Is it the Buzzy noise from 'Behind the glovebox'??...

In the Picture you posted, The aluminum A/C piping that you Circled is rubbing against the Strut tower...

How I fixed it...Remove the Side Cover and see if it touches...Mine rubbed so much the paint was rubbed off!...Anyhow, just place some foam or weatherstripping in between and see if that helps...

Temporary fix to see if its the problem...Use kleenex...

·
Registered
12 Posts
I am having the same problem with that noise right behind the glove box. It is so irriating. I put some wheater stripping between the aluminum tube and the strut tower, but it still makes that same noise. It sucks especially when I am on the interstate and I go above 70 it sounds just like a ball rattling in a paint can. It is so bad I have to have my windows down so I don't hear it. I really hope it is not a expensive fix.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Cracked exhaust heat shield or timing chain tensioner/chain slider loose.

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Are you sure that's where the noise is coming from? When does it make this noise?

I ask because you mentioned a vibration at highway speeds. Bad CV joints will make a clicking sound, especially going around turns. They will also cause vibrations at high speeds.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jesse IL said:
Are you sure that's where the noise is coming from? When does it make this noise?

I ask because you mentioned a vibration at highway speeds. Bad CV joints will make a clicking sound, especially going around turns. They will also cause vibrations at high speeds.
I know it isn't in the cv joints. This noise only happens at idle. And im 100% positive that this is where it is coming from.

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jesse IL said:
That's the belt tensioner. There was a revised one that came out in early 2002 that fixes the problem.

Damn, I heard that this was a PITA to replace. I doubt It would be a free replacement from toyota.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Jesse IL said:
That's the belt tensioner. There was a revised one that came out in early 2002 that fixes the problem.
I too have the same clicking noise. When you say "belt tensioner" do you mean timing chain tensioner or accessory (serpentine belt) tensioner. There's a huge difference. If it is the timing chain tensioner, it's not difficult to replace, I had to remove mine to remove my intake cam for my broken lift bolt.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Fellows, read carefully, Jesse isn't talking about the chain tensioner. The revised tensioner is the one for the accesories drivebelt, not the timing chain tensioner.

Now if you have a problem with the timing chain tensioner I wouldn't recommend racing, the chain might be loose and jump teeth and ruin your valve timing. The computer can compensate a little on the intake valves by redirecting oil to the intake cam sprocket but there is only so much the computer can do. Remember you don't have variable timing on the exhaust side, so you might still end up with valves hitting against pistons, even if only slighly it's still bad.

·
Registered
209 Posts
For those who have removed their timing chain tensioners before (likely because of lift bolt repair), did you notice, when you compressed the unit and engaged the latch, grease or lube eject from the tensioner? I don't think this normal. Any input from those who actually know, not assume?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts