NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This weekend I cleaned both the timing and lift OCV strainers/screens. The timing one (which I thought would be the culprit) was actually very clean to begin with. The "tractor" sound remains, that someone posted a video about before.
Any ideas on what this could be?
Thanks

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
I posted the vids about the tractor sound, they're bundled together on the 2nd page of the OCV sticky.
If you pull the timing OCV connector and the sound changes or goes away, the only solution is to get a new VVT-i camgear, it's all covered in the thread. If pulling the timing OCV plug doesn't change or eliminate the noise then you have something else causing it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great info in this thread, which I didn't realize had two pages until it was just pointed out to me. The thread answered all the questions I have about the issue.

GSBoek, I owe you a beer if I ever make it to NL :)

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
I posted the vids about the tractor sound, they're bundled together on the 2nd page of the OCV sticky.
If you pull the timing OCV connector and the sound changes or goes away, the only solution is to get a new VVT-i camgear, it's all covered in the thread. If pulling the timing OCV plug doesn't change or eliminate the noise then you have something else causing it.
You should get a 1349 if the vvt-i camgear is seized right?

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Yep, a seized camgear would presumably throw a 1349.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Yep, a seized camgear would presumably throw a 1349.
When I went through 3 different cam gear it throw the code for each one. :gap: (do not ask why I went through 3 :( )

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Why did you go through 3?

Sorry, I couldn't resist :gap:

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well damn the sound remains after pulling the timing OCV plug...
Will be uploading a video tonight probably - it really does sound like the "tractor" sound in that video you posted GSBoek, but I guess it isn't.
Thanks a lot anyways!

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Why did you go through 3?

Sorry, I couldn't resist :gap:
1-TSB
2-Toyota had to replace it again because they did not do it right the first time.
3-I seized it.
4-I think I seized it twice. I kinda forgot now.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,305 Posts
Well damn the sound remains after pulling the timing OCV plug...
Will be uploading a video tonight probably - it really does sound like the "tractor" sound in that video you posted GSBoek, but I guess it isn't.
Thanks a lot anyways!
Yeah it sounds similar. The thing with videos is that the camara has a habit of amplifying certain noises. I did hear some excessive valve clatter a couple of times so that's something to look into. I didn't hear the kind of noises that could indicate rod knock and the engine revs fine otherwise.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks GSBoek. What exactly does "valve clatter" mean? What would be causing it? The valves themselves? What would you inspect/replace if this were happening to you?

Thank you very much, again.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts