NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking to buy a new car and would like to you my GTS as a trade in. Problem is it has a salvage title on it. It was my wife's car, she got it when we were dating back in 2002. The seller got over on her by not disclosing to her that it had a salvage title. She should have looked over the title but she's not good with things like that.

Fast forward to 2006 and we tried to trade it in at a Honda dealership as we had our 1st child and needed a bigger vehicle. They refused to accept it as a trade in because of the salvage title. This was in New Jersey.

We kept the car and it's been my primary vehicle. Now we are in Florida and I want to get a new car and was wondering if it'll be the same situation all over again where the dealership (Lexus) will refuse to take it as a trade in.

Current mileage is 97,500. Condition wise I would say is "fair". A lot of scratches and paint chipping in some areas. Recently discovered an oil leak. Interior is clean in good condition. New tires and through the years it hasn't given me problems aside from regular maintenance and wear and tear fixes.

Currently KBB has it valued @ $1,739-$2,332 under fair condition as trade in. I'm sure they won't offer anything close to this but something is better than nothing.

Any of you trade in a car with a salvage title? What do you all recommend? Should I just try to sell to private party, of course disclosing that it has a salvage title. KBB has it @ $2,969 for selling to private party.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
124 Posts
IMO dealers are looking for some kind of profit out of a used vehicle, and don't see any in a salvaged vehicle..specially since most trade ins that don't make their cut probably get auctioned off somewhere. Best bet sell it privately and use half the money for the down payment, the other half to buy your wife something nice. GL

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
IMO dealers are looking for some kind of profit out of a used vehicle, and don't see any in a salvaged vehicle..specially since most trade ins that don't make their cut probably get auctioned off somewhere. Best bet sell it privately and use half the money for the down payment, the other half to buy your wife something nice. GL

I'll try to find out from the dealership if they would accept my Celi as a trade in and how much I guess they'll be willing to offer. If that doesn't work out I guess I'll try to sell privately. Thanks for the reply.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Are you still trying to sell?

I am not to far away from you and would be interested even with the Salvage title.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.