NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read that the GTS manual will fit, in a GT manual. Do you people think that it will be worth the money to swap? How much faster will I be? I am kinda looking into doing this. thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
4,756 Posts
not much faster but you'll save more gas and youd also need to change the ECU

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
don't quote me or anything but i heard on the forum it bolts right up if your going 5speed>6speed....but if your going form auto>6speed...i dunno.....

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Why would you be faster your adding a 6th gear overdrive. You dont have lift. Save ur money and do something else.

·
Registered
634 Posts
^^ He'd be faster because the 6 speed has much tighter gear ratios. He would go through the gears faster and probably gain a few tenths of a second in the 1/4.

1ZZ

Code:
Manual -- Standard  	5 speed
1st 	3.166
2nd 	1.904
3rd 	1.310
4th 	0.885
5th 	0.725
Reverse 	3.250
Final Drive 	3.722
2ZZ

Code:
Manual -- Standard  	6 speed
1st 	3.166
2nd 	2.050
3rd 	1.481
4th 	1.166
5th 	0.916
6th 	0.725
Reverse 	3.250
Final Drive 	4.529
Huge difference I think.

·
Registered
5,178 Posts
It's been done many many many times. direct swap for manuals. It would be a great mod, because you'd stay in powerband, accelerate slightly faster in whatever gear your in and cruise at lower rpms saving gas. You probably wont see a difference in 1/4 mile times due to extra shifting.. but then again doesnt 5th in a 6 speed go up to 100 something?.. So their might not need to be that extra shift unless your turbo'd making serious trap speed times..

·
Registered
1,179 Posts
well since i bought my car wrecked out on a auction and fixed it up, i didnt have much of a choice to go with a standard or auto, and the car was auto so i bought it, now i wanna do a tranny swap but heard i will only be able to put a 5 speed instead of 6... but i really wann a 6 speed.... so you guys think its possible right?

·
Registered
634 Posts
Who told you 6 speed was not possible? They're lying.

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
hey I have a manual GT, I was just wondering if it is worth the money. I can not rev as high as the GTS, idk if that matters. Thanks for the info. I want to go turbo, should i just save my money?

·
Registered
44 Posts
I'm pretty sure you can rev the 1zz in the Celica to 7200 rpm and be just fine. That's only about 1k rpms less than the 2zz. You wouldn't have that kick up top but in theory you'd have that additional bit of torque throughout the whole range so it bet'd be ok.

You can also effectively change your gear ratios by changing wheel diameters, too, I think.

·
Registered
798 Posts
there the same bolt pattern. It fits perfect whoever told you a 2zz tranny wont fit in a 1zz motor is a moron. I have it myself you don't notice the speed difference. It's mostly for highway driving/saving gas. Unless you turbo the car then it makes a difference.

My vote if your absolutely getting a tranny then get the 2zz one.

·
Registered
1,576 Posts
I dont think 6speed will help if it does bring it up to 7800 RPM, you hit lift at 5.5 I heard til.. 6.5? Someplace in those regions then everything goes downhill from there, it might be tighter gear ratios, but I dont think it'll really matter if your engine isn't going to keep the HP / Torque up after 6800rpm, 1zz was made for the 5 speed gt tranny, it would probably save some gas milage though.. correct me if I'm wrong

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.