NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to get a new tranny for my 02 GT-s. I was told that the MR-2 tranny will bolt right up to the 2zz without any modifications. I was wanting to get the real low down from everyone on here as to if that is true or not. Can I bolt the MR-2 tranny to the 2zz without any problems? The reason I am wanting to do this is because it can hold bigger power than the 2zz C60 and from what I have read, they actually have better gear spacing for longer gears. I really don't know because I don't know jack about transmissions cept for the simple things that everyone knows. Any help would be nice. And yes I did search the forums for this topic to no aveil. The reason I say this is because I know how some users are. LOL....

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I am wanting to get a new tranny for my 02 GT-s. I was told that the MR-2 tranny will bolt right up to the 2zz without any modifications. I was wanting to get the real low down from everyone on here as to if that is true or not. Can I bolt the MR-2 tranny to the 2zz without any problems? The reason I am wanting to do this is because it can hold bigger power than the 2zz C60 and from what I have read, they actually have better gear spacing for longer gears and it also already has an LSD. I really don't know because I don't know jack about transmissions cept for the simple things that everyone knows. Any help would be nice. And yes I did search the forums for this topic to no aveil. The reason I say this is because I know how some users are. LOL....

·
00 MRS - 2ZZ NA
4,137 Posts
MR-2 Spyder tranny's are the 5 speed. If you have a 2zz and a GTS, you have the 6 speed, which is what you want. Source another C60, and no, they're not that much stronger. If they were, the big power guys would be changing out their 6 speeds for the bolt on 5 speeds in an instant.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Like I said, I really know jack about trannys...LOL...but this is why I was wondering http://store.monkeywrenchracing.com/index.php?cPath=43_67_201. I saw that after I was told about doing the swap. Any suggestions on that tranny? Or should I just stick with the C60 and get a better gear set? Cause my tranny is just about toast that has been in the toaster for way too long. Oh, and what flywheel should I get while I am asking questions.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I saw that tranny also, but if you would read more into it, they stated it will not fit the Celica, it only made for the Mr2. The housing is not machined for the Celica/Elise shifter shaft. It would be possible but a lot of modification would need to be done. In my opinion, just have your tranny rebuilt with updated syncros, put in a better gear set, and if you have money after that, put on a LSD.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That is what I was thinking too...it sucks, but hey, nothing in this world is meant to be easy right? LOL. But I know for a fact that Monkey Wrench Racing usually have some used trannys with LSD's already installed, but you have to call for those though. Guess that is what I will have to do though. Going turbo when I get back from this god forsaken land of Afghan. I appreciate the info.

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
you cant put the MRS tranny on without modification either, the input shifter and linkage is on the other side. now the 5 speed from a GT will bolt right on no problems

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.