NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I got the bad news today.

The transmission is full of metal shavings, so it's tearing itself apart. Right now it still works fine, but eventually I'm going to have to deal with this.

The local dealer wants over $3,700 to put a brand new Toyota transmission in it.

I know others here have had issues with the Toyota transmission, what have you done when it went south?

How hard of a job is this to do for someone who doesn't have a lift? I've rebuilt a Honda transmission before, but that was a long time ago.

Are there remanufactured trannys that are reliable?

Any advice is appreciated.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Taking the transmission out is actually pretty easy without a lift. When I did my clutch I had 3 jack stands and just lifted the transmission with my bare hands. Fairly easy. It takes a few hours to get out, but it sounds like you are better off trying to either find a used transmission in good kit, or a remanufactured one.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Just MWR it and it will take you 6 hours tops. If everything goes out smooth and you dont snap anything. Oh and have a buddy or 2. It sucks to do by yourself.

·
2,644 Posts
i rebuilt my transmission in my garage with a floor jack and two jack stands :shrugs:

it'll take awhile to do it right, but i had a brand new rebuilt transmission for just under a grand, with new syncs, new gears, everything
there's a guide how to remove the transmission around here on the site somwhere

·
Work Done, Sexy Time.
2,835 Posts
It really depends on what you are personally prepared to deal with and how much free time you have. I've written a fairly complete guide on breaking down the transmission. It took me a long time to do because I had no one to guide me, figured out a lot on my own so my pain is your gain. With what people wanted to charge to do it for me. I completely rebuild my tranny with 03 upgraded parts added a Quaife LSD, new clutch and flywheel plate and had all important parts cryo-treated and heat tempered by www.300below.com all for less than what I was quoted for just for the tranny.

Read my guide in the Repair and Maintenance section first see if it's something you want to do. Feel free to ask any questions as well. Guide

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice.

I'm going to start tearing mine down tonight. If I look for a rebuilt transmission, does anyone have a recommendation for a company to work with? Here are a few that came up in Google.

http://www.manualtransmission.net

http://www.woodfins.com

http://www.karking.com

I am still considering opening mine up, and seeing if it can be rebuilt. I'm concerned that the housing may be what's going bad, in which case it might not be worth working on it.

I'll be looking for the online guides, thanks.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the explanation of MWR. I'm a little slow. :)

MWR doesn't seem to have an OE 5 spd manual. And as nice as it would be to add a Quaife, it's not legal for stock. :) I've sent them an email, to see if they can get me something.

The manualtransmission.net guys have a remanufactured unit for $1,300 with a 12 month warranty. Cost includes freight both ways (return for the core).

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
I've searched, but perhaps I'm missing it. Is there a writeup for removing/replacing the water pump? That needs to go as well.

Edit -

Never mind. I looked up the water pump in the shop manual. That one looks pretty easy.

·
Bring on the 12's...
6,085 Posts
I love it when I see members that have had their car for so many years, still showing the love and maintaining their cars or modding them :thumbup:

·
Registered
56 Posts
sorry to hear the bad news bill. i hope the trans rebuild is going well. i've had issues with my rear trans mount bracket coming loose all season and actually broke part of the case off with it. I've repaired it the best i can and it seemed to hold up to the pro solo launches at toledo so i'm going to nurse it enough to beat on it at the pro finale and solo nationals. I hope you can get yours back together before nats it would be a shame to not try to defend your title. mikey and me are pumped to try to take the pro solo title in s3 and see what happens at nats. Car is dialed in as long as it holds together for a few more races. Best of luck.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Andy,

Thanks. My car has had zero problems the whole time I've owned it, so I guess I'm due. While I've got it all taken apart, I'm replacing all four motor mounts, the entire clutch (well, not the flywheel), the V belt, and the water pump.

Getting the transmission out was a real PITA, but it's out now.

Nationals is still up in the air... I was supposed to do one last event at Grissom next weekend, but I won't have the car together in time. I've got precious little seat time this year, and feel pretty unprepared.

But I shouldn't let that stop me. :)

Sorry to hear about your car problems. Hope that it all holds together for at least a little while longer. Good luck to you at the Pro!

·
Registered
56 Posts
i only had 5 events in my car before nationals last year so you shouldn't let that stop you. driving the celica is like riding a bike you never forget how to do it. Just take a few runs on the practice course and you'll be set. mike eckert hopped back in his old car and won both events at spring nationals so you have no excuse. have fun with the service work i'm sure everything will go just fine.

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
I'll be looking forward to you both smoking the Nats! Good luck!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts