NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, I live in Oklahoma, and there are literally NO celica GT-S' for sale here. When I finally did find one, a 2001, it was in automatic, and I bought it. I am making payments on it and don't think I could sell it for more than what I owe. I'm going to be with this car for at least 5 years, and want to make it how I want it. So i am wanting to switch out the trans. if that is even possible.

tl;dr: I bought a Celica GT-S for too much money because it was the only one around, but it is an auto, and I'm stuck with it. any feasable way I could switch out the trans.?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
feasable? you mean do it yourself or do it cheaply?
I mean doing it cheaply. I am pretty mechanically inclined, but I really don't know what I'm doing, so I wouldn't attempt it myself.

And when I say cheap, I'm being realistic, I just want it to cost less than the car.

·
Registered
5,175 Posts
It's possible, dont know if you can do it for cheap unless you know how to do it yourself

·
Daddy Daycare
20,280 Posts
Does not matter, this is the newbie zone and we are a little more tolerant here than the other parts of the forum. The thread stays opn. ;)

·
Please Deliver
969 Posts
Welcome to the forums. Where in OK are you?!

I've got an auto GT-S as well (had to go to Colorado to get it) and REALLY want to do a 6-speed swap... And Speck keeps tempting me with all his kits. :marky:

·
Premium Member
9,037 Posts
It is possible, and it's a bolt on mod so to speak. Pretty simple to do yourself if you are comfortable removing your transmission yourself. The rest is more of the same, removing old parts and bolting on the replacements.

·
Daddy Daycare
20,280 Posts
Should be doable for $2500 if you can land all the parts for around $2000 and do most of the work yourself.

·
VVTL-OL
307 Posts
I converted my auto gt to a 6 speed gts for 3k and spent 1k extra for aftermarket parts. I did all the work myself.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Eh the autos not all bad. Id put that money into a set of lowering springs, and some 15x7 light weight rims, sway bars, call it a day.

Just remember the c60 isnt exactly a great transmission

·
Work Done, Sexy Time.
2,835 Posts
Eh the autos not all bad. Id put that money into a set of lowering springs, and some 15x7 light weight rims, sway bars, call it a day.

Just remember the c60 isnt exactly a great transmission
Yes, the auto is all bad. Don't take it personally but your statement seems to indicate a lack of experience with what the Celica is truly capable of. If anyone has the time and the will to do the transmission swap it's possible with hand tools and the Toyota manual found on this site. I encourage all of you with the desire to make what you have currently better to seriously consider doing it. You and your Celica will be better for it.

·
VVTL-OL
307 Posts
I did mine a few hrs everyday after work for 2-3 weeks. The engine swap was easy. Cutting the hole in the fire wall was the most time consuming because I wanted it to be perfect. Just make sure you have ALL the parts you need for sure. Mine took a little longer than expected because a few parts I needed were on back order from the dealer, I replaced all of the gaskets and 2 lift bolts, and installed a lot of bolt on parts.

·
Please Deliver
969 Posts
Only thing I'm afraid of is popping the auto off, not being able to get the MT on or missing ONE PART, then not being able to get the auto back on or something... only mode of transportation and places to go. :eek::

BUT, I have heard from many people that is fairly straightforward... ie. old one off, new one on.

·
Registered
905 Posts
So whats a 6psd celica gts truly capable of??

b/c im sooooo lacking experience with celicas.

·
Work Done, Sexy Time.
2,835 Posts
So whats a 6psd celica gts truly capable of??

b/c im sooooo lacking experience with celicas.
They're capable of being a lot more fun to drive for one. I'm not here to ruffle feathers this is the newbie zone I'm here to encourage new members as I was once encouraged to step out of my comfort zone and take on new challenges.

One thing I notice from your sig is that you don't have a bunch of mods but the ones that you added were to make your Celica more entertaining for you which is the most important thing. Seems performance is your thing as it is mine, if you don't have one trust me when I say that a manual transmission would be a great addition to your current setup. If you do have a manual Celica then I don't quite understand your first statement.:shrugs:

1 - 20 of 25 Posts