NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey does anyone know about these? Do i just need to get the kit and install or is more required? Also i heard this kit is pointless unless your running over 100 octane fuel, true or not? Anyone know what the gains would be with this kit? thanx

·
Registered
22,454 Posts
I'm pretty sure the pistons would require super high octane fuel like higher then what we normally have at the pumps here.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
well from what i hear... japanese equations for octane is different than ours here in the u.s., I say you install the pistons, use 93/94 octane and tell us what you find out :gap:

·
Registered
22,454 Posts
I hear the same but the compressions ratio we run already requires atleast 91 octane. Going up to 13:1 would require atleast 97 if I am correct.

·
Registered
2,387 Posts
Originally posted by larryd
I hear the same but the compressions ratio we run already requires atleast 91 octane. Going up to 13:1 would require atleast 97 if I am correct.
yeah, that makes sense... but i figure 94 would be possible...

·
Registered
928 Posts
But isn't the Prius has the 13:1 ratio, too?
I mean if the Prius can use 91-93 octane, then would it be possible to use 93 octane with the TRD piston in our engine?

·
Registered
903 Posts
lol where in the world can we get over 100 octane at local gas stations?

·
Registered
500 Posts
There's a local station here that has 110 at the pump.

·
Registered
285 Posts
don't forget it needs to be unleaded. I have the said pistons but my car is not running yet. It is supposed to be ready today (latest end of this week). I will post an update after it is run-in (1000 km later).

mark

·
Registered
15 Posts
you can always try a mix of toulene and marvel mystery oil with pump gas. i read it out somewhere where it has a table for how much toulene to mix with gas and what octane it would turn out to be. i heard u can buy toulene at lowes too. i never tried this but i might when i build my 20/22r hybrid for my truck.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
blueTRD said:
don't forget it needs to be unleaded. I have the said pistons but my car is not running yet. It is supposed to be ready today (latest end of this week). I will post an update after it is run-in (1000 km later).

mark
cool when u get ur car running please let us know how 93 octane works. are u gonna get the car dynoed? also how much was the install? thanx

·
Registered
285 Posts
well, my car will be ready for sure tomorrow. I will be using 94 octane gas from the pump (a canadian gas station, Mohawk) which has 10% ethanol in it. One potential problem is the higher compression causes the car to heat up very quickly. I will be breaking the car in so I will let you know if I can get to the high revs with any increased power. I am still thinking of ways to get a higher octane gas (I'm forgoing toulene as I am sceptical of its long-term effects on my engine). Seems that most race fuels have lead in them :(
As for dyno, I'm afraid I can't help you much in this area. I plan to dyno the car, but only in summer 05 after I have more mods in my car (winters here in 'winterpeg' get till -40 centigrade with snow on the roads. No racing whatsoever). Besides I don't have a before dyno for comparison
Cost wise, I bought the TRD compression pistons real cheaply from another member of this board, and labor came out to CAD$3000 (I am trying to negotiate it down cos I have been waiting since February).

mark

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
:AF: WHAT??? $3000 CAD is like $2400 US. Is it supposed to cost that much to change pistons? hmm if that's the case i should probably just get a turbo.

·
Registered
285 Posts
haha... sounds rediculous eh? it was supposed to be CAD$2000 but he jacked the price to $3600 when he blew my engine (long story) and I suspect he's trying to cover his losses.
Now I have a brand spanking new short block, and the pistons.
You should try to get a quote from a garage around your area for a better indication of the price. The problem is, for our cars, the entire engine needs to be removed to change the pistons.

mark

·
Registered
193 Posts
Tung said:
But isn't the Prius has the 13:1 ratio, too?
I mean if the Prius can use 91-93 octane, then would it be possible to use 93 octane with the TRD piston in our engine?
Compression ratio and fuel grade is related, however cams profile also will affect the use of lower grade fuel.

I was surprise also ... till i find out the difference.

·
Registered
285 Posts
update on my car. FInally got it back. Surprise surprise, the 13:1 compression pistons can run on 91 octane gas without a problem. Cos I had 1/2 tank of 91 left and I drove it for a few min (about 10) without any knocking (well we have a knocking sensor). I did not rev it up above 5000rpm as advised by WAR but really there's no problems (yet)! I've already added another 1/2 tank of 94 and will run solely on 94 once I've broken in the engine.
THe car feels more powerful and throaty after the pistons, but it could also be due to the p & p done to the head, dc sports header, injen cai, and straight pipe. I speculate that it's gonna be much more powerful in the high revs :)

mark

·
Premium Member
12,227 Posts
if you are running the stock ecu then one reason you have no knock is because its detecting the knock and pulling a a$$ load of timing which kills your power...im really interested to see a dyno of this...good luck

·
Registered
3,732 Posts
blueTRD said:
update on my car. FInally got it back. Surprise surprise, the 13:1 compression pistons can run on 91 octane gas without a problem. Cos I had 1/2 tank of 91 left and I drove it for a few min (about 10) without any knocking (well we have a knocking sensor). I did not rev it up above 5000rpm as advised by WAR but really there's no problems (yet)! I've already added another 1/2 tank of 94 and will run solely on 94 once I've broken in the engine.
THe car feels more powerful and throaty after the pistons, but it could also be due to the p & p done to the head, dc sports header, injen cai, and straight pipe. I speculate that it's gonna be much more powerful in the high revs :)

mark
Interesting .. At leats there`s a guy who has the balls to try it w/ street gas ..

Keep us updated, I`m sure a lot of people here are interested in going w/ even higher compression ratio!!

Congrats on having a 13.0:1 compression ratio GT-S !! :)

·
Registered
1,413 Posts
I assume you're using a PFC, what kind of knock levels are you seeing right now?

Do you track your car (not drag)? If so, after you break in the rings I'd love to see a log of the max knock counts. :)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts