NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Ocasionally, I have stated that I suspected that the majority of the gains from a CAI resulted from a less restrictive air filter. I also said I believed the stock air box was well designed and when I installed a K&N filter on my GT, I definately felt a difference.

However I never was aware of any dynos comparing the two, until now. There is a review from "Import Tuner" (dated 6/00) in the reviews section right here at NewCelica that somewhat sheds some light on this. The following is the relevent info from that review.

Since this is our first time dyno testing a 2000 Celica with a 2ZZGE powerplant, Dynamic Autosports Technician, Aries Dizon, and our Tuner staff became very curious to see just how much power the four-banger would put down. While in most cases, we are able to compare test results with other vehicles with the similar engine, the VVTL-i 1.8-liter is new to the industry. We were suprised when the car laid down 165.9 hp and 123.2 lbs-ft of torque. Not bad, considering in OEM trim the car is rated at 180hp and 130 lbs-ft of torque to the flywheel. Either the engine produces more than it is rated at, or the drivetrain is highly efficient, resulting in very little parasitic loss.

Our next run would be a test of restriction. As we stated ealier the TRD airfilter is a prototype model and it was not available for testing, so we decided to remove the air filter to see what type of gains could get out of that 1.8-liter. The Celica put out a 171.0 hp and 128.3 lbs-ft of torque which proves there is more power hidden within the GTS to be found when aftermarket filters are available. The quick test gave the Celica an edge of 5.3 hp and 5.1 lb-ft of torque gained over stock output.
So, it would seem that with a minimal restriction air filter, the stock air box can give you worthwhile gains. I knew it wasn`t just my imagination. :burnout:

Of course, it still doesn`t have the "wow " factor of a CAI. :)

Now, we have all seen the dirty CAI filters in the wheel well (sometimes caked with mud!) and this must be counter productive to the point that you are probabably better off with a clean K&N (or stock filter?) in the stock air box!

BTW, keep in mind that any dyno test is static and in real life (as in the car moving) the stock air box is receiving a continious supply of "cold" air.

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
That is definitely good to hear. I knew i could feel a difference with my K&N in the stock airbox. And now i am going to modify my airbox to get a tad more cold air and see if that improves anything.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I totally agree that factories spend a lot of time and money to come up with a great design and are minimally limited by laws that require restriction so the factory air boxes can easily be modded to gain any performance the aftermarket kits make plus giving a clean factory look without the continuous cleaning of an exposed filter.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts