NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
207 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is the TRD SS compatable with the 2003 Celica GT-S? I heard that it doesn't work past the production date of 5-01 or something, but I'm just curious. Thanks!

·
Registered
12,364 Posts
no wont work. and its ashame, cuz its worth it. and i dunno y but yes its only for pre 2001ish celic's

·
Registered
194 Posts
actually, it does work. u buy the trd short shifter, then take the shifter out of the housing it comes in, and put it into the stock housing. just like b&m and twm. but it does work.

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
I've done this... I had my second gear replaced in mine and when they did the other parts of the tranny they gave me an 02 shifter. Simply got my TRD SS back from the dealer, took it apart and put it in the 02 plastic housing. Follow the steps from TWM's website and it should be a piece of cake. I even used the stock lock washer.

Good luck.

Chris

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
yep.... it works ... i did it on my ex g/f's car which is an 02.. just put the shifter in the 02 housing.. no probs whatsoever

·
Registered
990 Posts
reverse is a little close to the e brake though ..now ... so it will end up bangin on it if u push it to hard but its no real big deal ..

·
Registered
605 Posts
don't have a problem with it since i have a 2000 model but just wanted to say that the trd ss is awesome! i just installed it yesterday and drivng it feel so precise and sporty! great mod!

GTS-6

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
RJAY said:
Which ss works with the 02 gates?
It's not the gates that are different between the years (well maybe a little). What's different are the shifter bars. If you get a TRD SS you'll notice the shifter bar bends towards the e-brake. If you look at an 02+ shifter you'll see the shifter bar bends towards the passenger side. Along with the bar the mechanism (plastic housing is a little different to work with the gates). That is why you have to take out the shifter bar from TRD SS assmebly and put it in your 02+ shifter assembly and then put in your car.

Good luck.

·
Registered
990 Posts
they do change the shift housing... along with the shifter cables and they also change some fork or somethin like that

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I did the same thing as 2001SilverGTS. I had warranty work done on the Tranny in my 00' and while they had it apart they basically upgraded it to an 03. They removed my TRD SS not knowing that is was a SS and replaced the shifter housing and cables. As soon as I picked up the car and sat in it I knew something was wrong. The shifter was off center and almost looked like it was in 5th gear when it was in neutral. All you have to do is simply remove the SS from it's housing and swap it with the shifter in the 03 housing. Use the existing roll pin and retaining clip that are on the newest shifter housing. Follow the instructions in the install section for the B&M SS and it works excellent.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yep TRD SS does work on 02 wide gate. Just take it out from the housing and swap it with the 02 housing.

gnes100 reverse is a little close to the e brake though ..now ... so it will end up bangin on it if u push it to hard but its no real big deal ..
I solved this solution by rotating the TRD SS about 180degree.

I'll take a picture of my SS sometime tomm to show you.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts