NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey y'all. I am planning on installing my new springs this week. Preferably tomorrow, BUT i have never done it myself. My neighbor says that it isnt hard...but the intsalls page here tells me that it is very dangerous?
Your thoughts? I have a compressor. DOes anyone have some step by step install instructions that i could follow? Is it possible for me to do it myself?
PLEASE LET ME KNOW ASAP! I want these springs in BAD!!!!

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
shouldnt be a problem to do yourself.. i've done spring install without a compressor! just aim it toward the street or something haha

yeah well i got nuthin else to offer except wear gloves..

·
Registered
76 Posts
The fronts are pretty straight forward just remove the strut assembly and take it to a work bench compress the spring now take the strut apart, pull the spring off the strut and decompress the spring. Be very careful that the spring compressor doesn't move around while the spring is clamped, if it does the spring could fly off. Now compress the new spring put it on the strut assembly and reassemble the strut. Now decompress the new spring and reinstall it on the car. Now the backs are a little bit more tricky. To take the strut off you need to pull some of the interior plastics off to get to the top nuts. The strut is going to be a little hard to get off the back. An extra person is needed on the back. To get the strut off without having to take anything else off you will need to wiggle and move it around to get it our(it is a very tight fit) when you get it off remove and reinstall the spring the same as on the front. Then put the strut back on the car again it is a tight fit getting them on. Also the bolt holding the back struts on at the bottom is going to be on tight as hell. I'd suggest spraying those with WD-40 and let it sit on them while you do the front and then use a 1/2" breakover bar and a strong guy to break it loose. Also on the strut compressor if you have access to air tools those will help when compressing the spring.

·
Registered
4,228 Posts
Don't forget to cut your front bumpstops inhalf

1 - 5 of 5 Posts