NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well i just got my Short shifter today and installed it tonight. I have to say...i love it. so nice. much shorter and faster. Very nice. Now i will have to see how it does for me out on the track!

·
Registered
1,224 Posts
My68Spit said:
i don't quite understand how those are supposed to work. What is the difference?
If you mean the Komosport bushings, they are great!

The stock shifter is mounted using rubber bushings which give a lot of play in the shifter. Toyota most likely does this to give the shifter a more luxourous feel, etc. :rolleyes:

Replacing the stock rubber bushings/mounts with the Komosport solid metal bushings eliminates the play and sloppy feel in the shifter.
The end result is you feel each gear solidly lock in place.
The throw is also a bit shorter becaust of the play that is eliminated.

I installed the Komosport bushings about a year ago and have absolutely no regrets. It`s very worth while mod particularly when keeping the stock shifter! :)

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
actually if you PM Andy00GTS he will give u a good review of the kumosport bushings with the trd quikshifter...

i do not know how good of an increase jsut the bushings were becuz when i installed my trd ss i installed the kumosport bushings...

he said he could tell a pretty big difference....and by the way the kumosport bushings are different in size than the stock trd shortshifter bushings....so think about that one....they are thinner and lighter....which makes the housing sit even lower to the body....

-Dustin

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
TRD2000GTS said:
actually if you PM Andy00GTS he will give u a good review of the kumosport bushings with the trd quikshifter...

i do not know how good of an increase jsut the bushings were becuz when i installed my trd ss i installed the kumosport bushings...

he said he could tell a pretty big difference....and by the way the kumosport bushings are different in size than the stock trd shortshifter bushings....so think about that one....they are thinner and lighter....which makes the housing sit even lower to the body....

-Dustin
The reason the TRD are thicker is because the lower portion of the shifter is extended in the SS. The increased thickness is to provide clearence between the body and shifter arm. You will not have any increased performance by having Kumos versus the TRD bushings.

·
Registered
863 Posts
I can back up what TRD2000GTS is saying...

He told me to buy a set.. I was kind of skeptical at first but 25 dollars what the heck.

The bottom line is the bushings help. Each bushing is two piece one goes under the shifter the other goes on top. I believe this lowers the shifter a bit making it closer to the chassis of the car, thus improving shifting just a little bit more.

btw: I have the TRD shifter as well.

So if you have 25 bucks give it a shot!

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
Out of curiousity what exactly does it help by lowering the shifter frame approx. 1/8 inch? I'm not saying that it doesn't I just can't see what it is. The purpose of the Kumos originally was to replace the oem rubber grommets which allowed the shifter frame to flex on the chassis under hard shifting. The aluminum bushings supplied with the TRD and B&M shifters do the same thing. In addition they lift the housing slightly to give more clearance between the shifter frame and car chassis due to the increased length of the lower shifter arm in a SS.

We have previously had people who used the combination you outlined who had problems with the clearance by using the Kumos with the SS. If memory serves me the primary problem was difficulty getting the car into reverse.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.