NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I talked to a rep for TRD today and we talked about a possible supercharger from TRD. As you know, the matrix has the supercharger coming out quite soon. The only reason the Supercharger won't fit on our cars in that the hood would have to be altered for it to fit. So, TRD is trying to come up w/ a new intake manifold so the kit will work with the celica. We could possibly see this by June! List price would be in the range of 3100-3400 running 7.5 psi of boost. I know, I'll believe it when I see it too. But, just thought I'd let you all know so we can keep our fingers crossed.

-Wil

·
Registered
198 Posts
They're actually thinking about SOMETHING FOR THE CELICA?!? If they made a damn short ram for the celica, that would be a huge accomplishment for those morons

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
Keep in mind that TRD's 1zz SC is slated to make only about 200 crank HP ( or about 170 HP to the wheels). D. Draper's turbo kit will blow it away. Then again, there is that often-coveted TRD warranty, for those that find that a priority over higher power numbers.

·
Registered
271 Posts
170 to the wheels, wtf??? I'll wait until I see it to be sure because I've been waiting on this one, but if that's really the case, I'm definitely gonna go with Dave's Turbo when the time comes.

·
Registered
8,097 Posts
and then they will say never cause a new model celica is due out in 2004 so then they really wont care !! Man these damn TRD guys!!

Justin

·
Registered
1,853 Posts
damn didnt dey say there are gonna have a s/c for a gts as well lolz...new model on 2004 eh? I wonder when are they going to release an actual photo of the design, anyone know? not the concept looking ones.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
From what I've seen in some of the Japanese mags, there won't be a new gen Celica until 2005. I think D. Draper has also said that it'll probably come out in '05.

·
Registered
4,034 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I believe those numbers are goin to be higher than that Keyshawn. It's slated at a 35% hp increase. I don't know how to do the math, but if someone does, please do it.

·
Registered
198 Posts
140 * .35 = 189

So then on a stock Celica GT you'd only be making 189 to the flywheel, only 9 more flywheel hp over a stock GT-S. Not worth it, IMO.

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
???????......50 hp not worth it? Get a Header and Exhaust..........thats will bump you up to 200-210.......(remember F/I responds well to mods)

Why is that not worth it? You get a reliable car and your pushing around 200 hp and that aint bad.

·
Registered
198 Posts
MicaCeli said:
???????......50 hp not worth it? Get a Header and Exhaust..........thats will bump you up to 200-210.......(remember F/I responds well to mods)

Why is that not worth it? You get a reliable car and your pushing around 200 hp and that aint bad.
While you make your point about F/I responding well to mods, you've got to remember that there's some other FI kits coming out that give much better gains than the TRD Supercharger. These will probly respond to mods as well, if not better than this charger. As for reliability issues, that has yet to be determined since none of the kits are out yet, but Alpine has also stated that they will include some kind of warranty. As for DD's kit, I'm not too sure since I havn't looked into that one much, but his kit seems to have the best reputation at this time. :)

·
Registered
594 Posts
I don't understand how they could be saying that a S/C blowing 7.5 PSI would only make a 35% increase on an engine with a 10:1 CR. I mean, D.D.'s turbo is rated at 6 PSI stock, and it's supposed to be making what, 230 hp? Unless my fundamental understanding of F/I is wrong, I don't get it.... I know that S/C's use belts to drive the compressor, blah blah blah.. so that uses a little of the engine power to drive the belt (the sacrifice for instant throttle response, right?). I still think the numbers should be higher than this with a 7.5 PSI S/C.

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
v0idGT said:
I don't understand how they could be saying that a S/C blowing 7.5 PSI would only make a 35% increase on an engine with a 10:1 CR. I mean, D.D.'s turbo is rated at 6 PSI stock, and it's supposed to be making what, 230 hp? Unless my fundamental understanding of F/I is wrong, I don't get it.... I know that S/C's use belts to drive the compressor, blah blah blah.. so that uses a little of the engine power to drive the belt (the sacrifice for instant throttle response, right?). I still think the numbers should be higher than this with a 7.5 PSI S/C.
Turbos are more thermal-dynamically efficient than the Roots-type superchargers TRD uses. Also, all TRD's superchargers that I've seen are NON-intercooled. From the pics I've seen of their 1zz SC, it also does not seem to be intercooled. And as you stated, the parasitic drag the SC has on the engine, since it runs off the crank ( the engine has to work harder to spin it).

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
A SC makes more trq does it not?
Also 189hp in the GT will Stomp a GT-S. Its in the gearing and the fact that the 1zz does not have to work with Lift to keep such high numbers.
Now some of you will flame me for this, but its not like the GT-s with its 2zz is all that much faster then the 1ZZ GT. I know many guys/girls who can beat a stock GT-S with just a few bolt ons to there GT. Now that is to say the person in the GT-S SUCKS AT DRIVING. lol
Any ways, I see the SC to be a step in the right direction for TRD. If sales are good I am sure it will open a new door for the 7th Gen - Celica as far as TRD is concerned.
I will more then likly go with the WC kit my self, but it is tempting to have a SC over a turbo. There are Pros and cons to both sides. I think you all are missing that.

PS: sorry about the spelling, but its late and I dont care. :)

·
Registered
3,619 Posts
DJ_GLITCH_OS said:
A SC makes more trq does it not?
Also 189hp in the GT will Stomp a GT-S. Its in the gearing and the fact that the 1zz does not have to work with Lift to keep such high numbers.
Now some of you will flame me for this, but its not like the GT-s with its 2zz is all that much faster then the 1ZZ GT. I know many guys/girls who can beat a stock GT-S with just a few bolt ons to there GT. Now that is to say the person in the GT-S SUCKS AT DRIVING. lol
Any ways, I see the SC to be a step in the right direction for TRD. If sales are good I am sure it will open a new door for the 7th Gen - Celica as far as TRD is concerned.
I will more then likly go with the WC kit my self, but it is tempting to have a SC over a turbo. There are Pros and cons to both sides. I think you all are missing that.

PS: sorry about the spelling, but its late and I dont care. :)
An SC does not necessarily make more torque than a turbocharged car, but may make more immediately available torque way down low in the powerband. Since both Draper's and XS's turbo kits are very quick-spooling, the SC'ed car's torque advantage would be fairly short-lived ( from idle to about 2500-3000rpms ). After that point, the torque numbers of the turbocharged car would start to leave the SC'ed car behind.

As far as an SC'ed GT stomping an n/a GT-S with similar peak HP, it might happen in some circumstances, since the SC'ed GT will have a better overall powerband than an n/a GT-S ( but be careful of all the traction problems caused by immediate torque on a FWD car).

The last part about the GT-S not being all that fast, I don't really agree with. Numerous GT-S's have gotten very, very low 14's in the 1/4 mile, yet similarly modded GT's are about a full-second slower, in the low 15's ( the single exception being Maelfyn, an exceptional driver in a freakishly fast GT).

1 - 20 of 46 Posts