NewCelica.org Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok i know there have been comments about this in the past, but i searched and couldnt find anything.

i installed a rear trd sway bar, and in felt grat, without flaw. about a month after i put in the front sway bar, with which i had the same success. about a few weeks after i installed the front bar, the rear bar started making a knocking noise. it doesnt make noises everytime, but about half the time when going over bumps. i remember about 2 months ago there was a thread about this and someone posted a response saying that with his experience, he believed it was the endlinks. just wondering if anyone else has this problem and if there is anything else it could be thats making that noise.

·
Registered
8,225 Posts
It's most likely the front one tapping or rubbing on the frame.

·
Premium Member
13,784 Posts
Are you lowered? Its probably hitting the steering rack. You need adjustable endlinks.....or shorter ones.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^ not that im completely saying it not the front 1, but it definatly sounds like it comming from the back
^ no im not lowered. i dont know if it would hit on stock ride height??

the noise doesnt bother me (i just keep tellin people in my car that my spare tire isnt screwed in the trunk tight enough, and it bouncing around) as long as it not doin any damage, i really dont care about the sound, if anyone can confirm that, it be greatly appreciated

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
put your car on an alignment rack and get someone to bounce up and down with the car while you stand next to the corresponding endlink for that corner of the car. This is how i found out I busted a ball joint in the upper part of the front left one on my celly. I had the same knocking noise you describe, and still have it after buying hotchkis adjustable links, and replacing the oem one that was damaged. I'm now looking into another adjustable endlink hoping that it will finaly fix the issue.

but yeah i can go over bumps, no noise until I hit a nice one in the road, then it just sounds like my steering rack jumps up a few inches and hits something metal. But upon dropping the cradle, the swaybar bushing bolts were tight and lubed, and the steering rack was tight too...

·
Registered
716 Posts
I have noise in the rear of my car. It's from the endlinks. I have stock endlinks in the rear and for some reason everyone tried to take them off recently. Being old endlinks they didn't come off and these people couldn't get them off but tried for some reason.

They are gone. Noticeable noise.

I would also say your bushings for the sway bar, but those are replaced with the bar.

Try the heat shield first. If you don't know do a search. Other than that it's the endlinks.

I'm assuming you don't have the Hotchkis camber links in the back. They can make an awful racket like something is disconected or lose if not lubricated or tight.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
i jacked up my car and took a look under there, and the end links didnt look like they had anything wrong w/ them. while under there it looked like my exhaust had a lil bit of play. im thinking that it may be knocking on the heatshield. any1 else have a knocking sound w/ trd exhaust?? and if it is the exhaust hitting the heatshield, what can i do 2 stop it from knocking??

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
most people have a hard time w/ oem endlinks because you have to put your wrench on there and put the allen key in the center to break them loose. If you just impact them off you'll strip the threads or damage the ball joint.

·
Registered
145 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
if impacts r the reason they break, then that mite not b problem, i used regular hand tools (pain in the balls) but eventually got the undone. i have a day off today, so im gonna take a closer look at it and see if i can findout whats up

·
12+ years daily driver
8,599 Posts
i just got my new adjustable ones in the mail so hopefully they rid me of the awful noise.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts