NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, this morning while driving to work I started to hear a lot of rattling sound. I'm afraid I'm yet another victim of the divider plate being broken off on my Trial header. This really sucks. I do not know for sure but I am most certain that's what it is after reading about what happened to Dimitri and Russ.

The rattling sound is very annoying , I hate it. Oh well guess I have to make time to take it the shop where I had it installed and just remove the piece. Probably the last mod I am going to do to the Celi, I don't have time for this crap. Sorry just venting.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure Willy, I didn't check. I read that in Russs' post as well. I'll look into it this weekend if I get a chance.

I hope you don't encounter the same problem.

·
Registered
514 Posts
welcome to the club! The rattling sound in my car was the divider in the cat. it broke, went to the cat through the downpipe and made that noise in the cat.

Please find out if you re installed the L-bracket. I am 100% sure that my shop didn't touch it.

Did you notice a loss in performance with the divider broken?

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If there's a loss in performance it's probably not noticeable, but then again my butt dyno is not very accurate :) Logic would have it that the broken divider piece just rattling is affecting performace though.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Csirani if your cat is broken then you might as well buy a high flow cat. that's what I did.

good luck with the header. I hope that trial will send you one. They do not cover my shipping expenses and customs tax in greece and I am not getting a new header. it's gonna be too expensive (shipping both ways+tax+installation).

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
THE_PRO said:
bo0 to trial header, that's why I always like to wait and see when new things are introduced.
i'm wondering if this is due to improper install and possible rush to get a good amount of these headers out.

like... did they just get a crapload of orders and they've been semi rushing the build process?

I still think it's a top quality part even though my divider did break

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
WillyK said:
Did they reinstall that bracket that attaches to the header? Russ said Trial told him that bracket not being installed is what caused it to break.
which bracket are you referring to? i'm considering getting the trial header, and it'll be a hell of a hassle to put on, i don't want to have to mess with it more than once...

·
Registered
514 Posts
I think that the reason the divider breaks is because it sticks out too much and the engine moves a lot, while the rest of the exhaust does not move as much as the header does. that's my opinion.

·
Registered
863 Posts
Does anyone have the part # or know where I can order the bracket before I order my trial? I destroyed this piece trying to take the stock header off during my AMSS install :(

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
THE_PRO said:
bo0 to trial header, that's why I always like to wait and see when new things are introduced.
umm yeah it seems to be more related to improper installations... so yeah i still like the trial header :)

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
Dimitri said:
I think that the reason the divider breaks is because it sticks out too much and the engine moves a lot, while the rest of the exhaust does not move as much as the header does. that's my opinion.
The stock header has the same plate which is the same size and those never break. I'd say it's a problem with the install, not the header.

·
Registered
514 Posts
i dont think they were the same when i saw them side by side. If they are the same indeed then why did it break? My L-bracket is in place.

I have the feeling that more people will start having this problem. Only time will tell if it has to do with installation. I highly doubt it.

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well I took my car to the shop that installed the header for me. They removed my entire exhaust to take the broken piece out. It was identical to the one Russ showed. According to the shop it wasn't an improper install they indicated the weld of the divider plate didn't look that good. I talked to them about the bracket but they couldn't see the logic on how that would prevent the piece from breaking off.

I can understand my installation shop's point of view of the divider not having a strong weld since it is located in akward way to have a strong weld.

Well, the bottom line is I don't have the time to have the trial header removed from my car install the stock one, then ship it to trail then receive another one and have it installed again. So I just removed the broken piece and am driving around with my trial header. The car still performs and runs good and I do not believe there's any damage to my cat.

I guess only time will tell when others install the header in their cars and experience the same problem. My .02 the header is still great for our cars, just needs some fine tuning on the craftsmanship.

Also on a side note I had my trial header on for about 2 weeks.

·
Registered
4,593 Posts
of course the shop is going to blame it on poor quality... they arn't going to admit blame for ****ing up the install :) I still don't buy that its a bad weld

·
Registered
814 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
LaW said:
of course the shop is going to blame it on poor quality... they arn't going to admit blame for ****ing up the install :) I still don't buy that its a bad weld
I agree with you man, it's hard to find mechanics that are honest and will admit when it's their fault. I was simply giving my .02 and trust me I'm no expert :)

I just had an interesting thought. How many ppl have the TRD header installed on this board? Because I am wondering if the ppl with TRD header had similar problems? I do not believe that I have read anything at least on this board.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.