NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
4 days after I installed the trial header I got a CEL. the code reads: Secondary air injection system malfunction.

The reason is that the trial header does not use the EGR valve that the stock header uses. It is a metal bar on top of the header.
I believe only European Celica's have this valve. You can see it when you open the hood it is next to the header (on the left side behind a black plastic piece).

When I delete the CEL in my local garage, it comes up again. I tried to seal the valve but this doesn't work.

What can I do to get rid of this CEL indication from my dash? Is there a fuse for the CEL?

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i will try to get that metal bar welded to the trial header but i don't think that i will find a shop that will do this for me. it is more than just being welded on the header. i think air goes through it.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Dimitri, I think this was discussed in a diff post...but I'll reiterate. The EGR valve..Exhaust Gas Recirculation Valve, uses "dead' air..exhaust air...and sends it back into the intake manifold...it's to lower the temperature in the combustion chamber..US Celicas dont have it. So yes..."air" does go through it...just not very oxygen rich air...your best bet is to try and get that thing welded on somehow

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
thanks for the info but this doesn't make sense. how can exhaust gas cool off the combustion chamber? So What I need to do is weld it and drill holes through the header to let air go through the bar?

Do you think that I might damage my engine If I don't use EGR?

But then how come US or JDM celicas don't have this?

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
actually.. i believe the egr is for emmissions.... since it takes exhaust air and puts it back into the car, so that it reuses some of it.. i could be totally wrong.

my 88 celica had an egr valve/pipe, but my 00 doesn't.. which is odd... so i'm assuming it only applies to the euro market.

I'd take both the stock header and the trial one, compare, and try to replicate exactly what's going on on the stock one w/the trial one

·
Registered
8 Posts
Bloody hell! nooo..I can't believe it!

Hi there Dimitri, you're greek dude ain't ya?
Your post did scare me alot..I'm furious and desperate at once guy..I own a 2001 grey T-Sport 192 cv as you do..and was going to order my Trial header too..was childish excited and couldn't wait the time..and now..i read this post of yours and my dream went scattered...
I've had the same f*****g problem with UR SS pulleys set..they did cost me quite much (even considering tha shipping fee to Milan, Italy..) and was compelled to re-sale'em cuz the alt. pignon was different from the U.S. version and couldn't be able to install that stuff..
All I can say it's..why the h**l do they allways have to complicate simple matters on euro specs engines??..all for those s****y emissions rules..(euro T-SPORT engines go soo LEAN..) I'd rather want a huge sticker on my trunk with written "POLLUTER AND PROUD TO BE!"
Well..after this li'l blow off..I'm absolutely with you bro!..All my best wishes to you to manage out this s**t ...please let me know any suggestion/hint you collect and if you came to a solution..
I WANT THOSE HEADERS TOO AND WON'T GIVE UP THIS TIME!

Best regards Zenkart.

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
zenkart yes i am greek. where are you located? i am in the uk now

As far as they UR SS set. you shouldn't have a problem with the alternator. A friend of mine (Leonidas in this forum) installed it in his t-sport and had no problems.
How did you get them shipped for free to italy?
Did you see any good gains from the other pulleys?

Listen, the Trial header works great specially in 3rd and 4th gear in lift, together with a tanabe srm it does wonders. people that i used to race with, race me now and ask me what the hell i did to my car!!! You should buy it if you want more gains. The header divider broke and i might loose some torque from that.

i think i found a solution for the CEL. The CEL comes up every 4-5 days. The CEL code can be deleted using a device or through your laptop if you buy software of course. Go to obd2.com. both solutions cost approximately 350 USD and if you buy the software you can have KM/h, rpm readings live while you drive on your laptop!!!!

Another way of solving this according to trial in japan is to weld the egr valve on the trial header which will be a pain in the a$$ to do + i do not want to destroy my stock header.

You should try to find out if the TRD header uses EGR. I doubt it though.

good luck

·
Registered
723 Posts
hmmm...that's funny, seabrook never said anything about this problem with his header and he was the first one to have it installed and used. pm him and see what he says...

·
Registered
514 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
its not old school on my stock header......i hate EGR.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
The divider broke in your header too?!? Cuz 00CericaRuss' divider broke too...what's up with that?

I know he called them, and they're sending him a new one at no cost...he just has to send back the old one.

Usman

·
Registered
723 Posts
Kit99bar said:
umm does seabrook have a euro celica or you dont' pay attention? :)
oh...my nut...in your mouth:fawk:...but to entertain your questions...no and yuppers (but not on purpose)...haha...i need to go over my hooked on phonics!!! haha:p

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
uansari said:
The divider broke in your header too?!? Cuz 00CericaRuss' divider broke too...what's up with that?

I know he called them, and they're sending him a new one at no cost...he just has to send back the old one.

Usman
yeah i'm starting to worry about this now. I just hope they fixed it in their next batch or else its gonna be a bitch to re-install the header and install it again.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.