Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 250 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://trial.co.jp/osaka/tuningspirit/tuningspirit_29.htm

that's not the 3zz that's normally found in their exige, swapped out the 3zz and put in a 2zz and the ITB. Gain of ~20whp... wonder how much more gain it will be when it's on their 3zz and tuned (right now it's already sitting at 230whp N/A).

ECU used are the same as their celica.. apexi PFC (for the vvt) with hks V Pro (for fuel/ignition)

·
Registered
896 Posts
saweet. Too bad 7 years later and for the wrong car.

Sorry to bring up the dead, but the celica with ITBs I posted about a long ass time ago was operational at HIN in LA, just forgot to bring it up. On the Danstoy website they are selling it but haven't inquired though. Probably cost an arm and a leg to get running and the runners are so short I doubt it is practical to buy.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
That dyno does look weird, but I'm totally on board with a PROPER ITB setup gaining power. Not 20HP on a stock motor though.

I also wonder how they are using the power FC for VVT with no MAF input?

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Boosted2.0 said:
That dyno does look weird, but I'm totally on board with a PROPER ITB setup gaining power. Not 20HP on a stock motor though.

I don't like how the graph is an obvious linear slope at the beginning, closely follows the stock curve at one point and then has two dincontinuities with vertical lines.

As far as running the PFC without a MAFS, all you would have to do is input a MAP signal in its place. As I've said about this method before, you could retune to make that work (the load cells would just run in a horizontal line once you hit atmospheric pressure) but as soon as your temp changed, you'd go way out of spec. You might be able to get that to work by having several closely spaced load breakpoints to account for slightly variable atmospheric conditions and you might be able to make the temp correction with the INJ vs. AirT values.

·
Registered
980 Posts
Jesse IL said:
Boosted2.0 said:

I don't like how the graph is an obvious linear slope at the beginning, closely follows the stock curve at one point and then has two dincontinuities with vertical lines.
x3 The two sudden dips in the graph are questionable.

ITB in our setup= sucking in hot air under the hood. I don't think that's a good setup but like krichards said, you can always cut a hole and go rice.

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
blinding-gts said:
Jesse IL said:
Boosted2.0 said:

x3 The two sudden dips in the graph are questionable.

ITB in our setup= sucking in hot air under the hood. I don't think that's a good setup but like krichards said, you can always cut a hole and go rice.
Cutting a hole is not optional. For ITBs to work right the pipes have to be straight - which means the inlets will have to be outside the current hood profile.

I think it would look cool though.

·
Registered
382 Posts
rsx + N/A record of 9.64 = I HATE RSX *******S!! but i love them too somehow..... go 4-bang k-series!

EDIT: on the hood issuse, what about if ppl used that same hood that was used for the trd supercharger from back in the day? i remember it had that huge bulge in it

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
well what do you know, its not something eassy to do for our celicas. but them RsX type s people can play with them no problem!

·
Registered
980 Posts
Boosted2.0 said:
Cutting a hole is not optional. For ITBs to work right the pipes have to be straight - which means the inlets will have to be outside the current hood profile.

I think it would look cool though.
I hear where you're coming from but I could've sworn I saw a setup with short ITBs that didn't run out of the hood posted on this site a long while back.

It would look good as long as Home Depot isn't used to customize the exterior look. ;)
Something fabricated from a carbon fiber hood would look nice.

·
Registered
246 Posts
we need to look at solutions and stop accepting defeat, can there be a carbon fibre hood design to facilitate the ITB setup? and also can the horns be shortened will the whp results remain the same?

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
krichards said:
we need to look at solutions and stop accepting defeat, can there be a carbon fibre hood design to facilitate the ITB setup? and also can the horns be shortened will the whp results remain the same?

The only carbon fiber hood that comes to mind that could possibly facilitate an ITB setup would be the AIT/TRD hood by B-magic, but then if you weren't running a plenum of some sort, your ITB's wouldn't be getting any cool air, and would just be sucking in hot air from the engine bay. To have open ended ITB's like the ones pictured above, ideally you would want them open to the air, or (if you plan on NOT sandblasting your engine) have them sealed inside a filtered plenum....as for the horns being shortened, the quick and easy answer is no, the torque curve and power band of the car shifts as you play with the runner length on an ITB setup (it does so on any intake/exhaust system actually)...generally speaking, longer runners are good for lower end power while shorter runners are good for higher-end power...the inner diameter of the throttle bodies also comes into play, as a smaller diameter will yield better gains on the low end of the RPM scale as opposed to a larger diameter, which will let the engine breath better up top...then you have things like resonance frequencies and scavenging that also come into play, especially when you're tuning full out all-motor

·
Premium Member
6,311 Posts
blinding-gts said:
I hear where you're coming from but I could've sworn I saw a setup with short ITBs that didn't run out of the hood posted on this site a long while back.

It would look good as long as Home Depot isn't used to customize the exterior look. ;)
Something fabricated from a carbon fiber hood would look nice.
You're either thinking of Goldilock's ITB's or the ITB's on that Corolla (1zz-fe) that someone posted awhile back that they found on cardomain....and I agree, something done in carbon fiber a la "shaker hood" would look pretty good

·
Vendor
15,564 Posts
blinding-gts said:
Yeah but that setup was just hacked together for show - there were no real performance gains

I don't know why you guys don't think ITBs sticking out the hood would look good. It looks badass on muscle cars - why wouldn't it look fine on a Toyota?

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
if it proves usefull im all for it :eatpop:

1 - 20 of 250 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.