NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm going on a trip to Chicago on the Sep 2 and returning on 4th....
Staying at downtown hotel...

Any suggestions on the tours?? place where local knows....
Any sighseeing, place to eat...
I know for sure I'm gona eat the Chicago dogs... :D
Any guideline that would make the 3 day worth it.....??
Probably don't have driving around... heard they have good public transporation...
Recommandation on local public transportation would be appreciated...
Thanks...

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Where exactly are you staying? "Chicago" is a big place and people tend to use that term loosely to describe a wide area. A lot of people say they're coming to visit Chicago when in reality they're way outside the city in some suburb.

My recommendations will depend on where exactly you're staying.

·
Registered
4,057 Posts
Go to Fogo de Chao in La Salle st. It's eat all you can meat!

Get fat and die happy :D

Portillo's got some good sanwiches too. Beef and cheddar croissant with hot peppers *aarrrrggghhhhh*

·
Registered
428 Posts
You gotta get a Maxwell Street Polish. As far as sight seeing, you'll be downtown. So you'll see mostly everything that theres to see here. Soldiers Field, Buckingham Fountain, all the stores on Michigan Ave. Just depends on what you are looking for. You'll enjoy your time. Good thing you aren't coming during the dead of winter. :laugh:

·
Registered
428 Posts
Oh...and yea transportation is good. There isn't anyplace you can't get to by public Transportation within the city. I think you can purchase something like a weekend or 3 day bus/train pass for unlimited travel on buses and trains.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jesse IL said:
Where exactly are you staying? "Chicago" is a big place and people tend to use that term loosely to describe a wide area. A lot of people say they're coming to visit Chicago when in reality they're way outside the city in some suburb.

My recommendations will depend on where exactly you're staying.
Downtown Chicago.... my friend reserved the hotel in the downtown.. that's all I know....
hapa77 said:
why are you going to chicago ? ill be going shortly to visit some friends in plaintfield
Any place around or near downtown Chicago...

·
Premium Member
18,200 Posts
Dooly said:
Downtown Chicago.... my friend reserved the hotel in the downtown.. that's all I know....
OK then scratch my Gene & Jude's suggestion as that's way far away. From where you are, you can take the L (train) or a taxi to wherever you want to go.

If someone tells you to go to Navy Pier, don't listen to them. Its just a big stupid tourist trap. I would recommend an architectural boat tour, which you can find anywhere along the river, basically along Wacker Dr. You go out on this boat and cruise around the river and then out onto the lake. There's guide and they tell you all about the buildings, its really interesting.

Michagan Ave. is OK, but IMO its just full of bums who hassle you constantly. If you walk down Michigan Ave., check out the Tribune Tower, which has stones from famous buildings all over the world embedded in it. You can also go up to the top of either the John Hancock or Sears Tower to the observatory. Its a ripoff, but if you've never been to the top of an extremely tall building, you'll enjoy it.

Other tourist attractions that are worth seeing are Buckingham Fountain, Millenium Park, The Chicago Art Institute (one of the top art museums in the world) and the Field Museum of Natural History. I personally don't care much for the Shedd Acquarium.

If you really want to get a feel for Chicago, you need to get out of the Loop/River North, which are extremely touristy, and go see some of the neighborhoods. You can access all of them from the L, and there's tons of good restaurants, bars and people watching. My recommendation would be to go around dinner time, grab some food and then get a drink. My suggestions would be Bucktown/Wicker Park, Lincoln Park and Wrigleyville/Lakeview.

·
Registered
593 Posts
Wrigleyville and Lincoln Park offer a decent number of bars. I suggest to just go bar hopping. Unfortunately, I can't offer any specific suggestions. :D

·
Registered
224 Posts
You have to go to Wrigley Field, there is no other baseball park like it.

·
Registered
8,364 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I'm back.... try was pretty good....
Weather was excellent....
Thanks alot for the infos.....

1 - 20 of 20 Posts