NewCelica.org Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2003 Celica GT and the trunk light is not working (hasn't worked since I acquired) it. The bulb that was in it seams to be good, but regardless I've tried it with two different bulbs, still it does not work.

I checked it with a multimeter and it reads between 5-6volts (not 12v)
I also pulled the light assembly out and checked the voltage on the wire that plugs into it directly and the voltage measures the same.

What could be the issue?

any help appreciated.

Thanks,
Jason

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,685 Posts
Does the DOME light work?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, the dome light inside the car does work, and there is about 11.5 - 12v on that one (with load)

I have tried it with 2 new bulbs also well as the current on, none of them work in the socket. I've also ohmed them out, they measure about 3.0omhs so they should be good.

·
The Best User
659 Posts
maby its just a bad connection or a loose ground or something. have you tried cleaning the connections were the bulb goes in?

·
GTS Turbo
1,111 Posts
FYI mine has never worked either. you could run a new positive wire from the dome light.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
maby its just a bad connection or a loose ground or something. have you tried cleaning the connections were the bulb goes in?
I don't think it would be a bad connection or that cleaning it would help. It wouldn't be getting any voltage at all if that were the case

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
FYI mine has never worked either. you could run a new positive wire from the dome light.
Thanks, I may try running a new wire. I'm also wondering if there is some trunk sensor on the latch of the hatch that controls the light going off & on that may be failing and cutting voltage.

·
The Best User
659 Posts
Thanks, I may try running a new wire. I'm also wondering if there is some trunk sensor on the latch of the hatch that controls the light going off & on that may be failing and cutting voltage.
theres not. its just the switch on the light.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Yes, there is. Not in the latch, but some place else. The trunk light will only turn ON when the trunk is open and the switch inside is ON.

·
The Best User
659 Posts
No there isn't. I can turn mine on with the hatch closed and I have a 00 gt. there is a switch on the light. Of course it would always be on If you didn't turn it off. Just like the lights in your house. They don't automaticly turn off when you leave. You flick the switch.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
No there isn't. I can turn mine on with the hatch closed and I have a 00 gt. there is a switch on the light. Of course it would always be on If you didn't turn it off. Just like the lights in your house. They don't automaticly turn off when you leave. You flick the switch.
No. Switch on means the light comes on when ANY door (hatch included) is opened. Switch off means it does not come on when ANY door (hatch included) is opened. Turn it on, take the deck lid out, close the hatch, watch.

·
The Best User
659 Posts
No. Switch on means the light comes on when ANY door (hatch included) is opened. Switch off means it does not come on when ANY door (hatch included) is opened. Turn it on, take the deck lid out, close the hatch, watch.
if i had my car at the house i would, but im almost positive it works with the doors closed. ive got an led for mine tho, although its basicly useless since the sub box takes up the whole hatch.

·
Registered
8,329 Posts
I've spent time working in the trunk, I know these things. I too have an LED, but it's a 5W bar with 60 LED's and diffuser.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
if i had my car at the house i would, but im almost positive it works with the doors closed. ive got an led for mine tho, although its basicly useless since the sub box takes up the whole hatch.
It's enterly possible that a cheap LED will be very dimly lit when the light would normally be off, as these are fancy circuits there just meant for normal lights so I would imaging they might leak a few volts esp with age. heck even mine will dimly light an led with 5v, but it's unusable.

·
The Best User
659 Posts
Mine is a panel of SMD LEDs. Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought LEDs only work at the correct voltage and just dont come on if there's not enough. Regular lights brightness varies with voltage, I know. That's why led TVs and monitors us pwm dimming were the screen flashes on and off at variable speeds in order to fake actualy being dimmer because LEDs and ccfl lights don't dim.

·
Electromagnetic Wave :-h
15,685 Posts
There is a trunk latch electrical switch. It is in the hatch. Any body work ever done on the rear end?

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have an '05 GTS, and it only works with the trunk open.
I know this coz I was installing a LED strip on the rear bumper, and after I finished all the installation and closed the trunk, it wouldn't come ON. Had to re-wire it again from the ignition.

The LEDs are usually rated 9-14V. So if you have at least 9v, they will light up dim.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts