NewCelica.org Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
607 Posts
Hmm. But it seems heavier when u have to hold it up with ur hands hehe (u can't know this if everything is ok) :) Anyway, i still want the thing in front also. But i guess ima buy new ones. Thanks for your help.

·
d(0_o)b
457 Posts
i didnt mean to make it sound impossible or anything. if you have the time and skill to rig something up i say go for it man. worse that could happen is they wont hold it up.. but then you could just buy new ones for the front if its already set up for it.

·
Professional Lurker
295 Posts
Just installed these today. Took me about 3 hours. Got into an argument with my dad. Turns out that I just had the struts on the wrong sides. The A/B thing was quite confusing. After I looked this up, everything was clear. :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks for the accurate description!
From the video and text I sure can't tell this could be hard to do by myself.
Does anyone know which strunk struts I need to order for my TTE spoiler?
This spoiler is a bit larger than the factory spoiler, but smaller than te one from the TRD package..
I think the struts for the large spoiler would be best.
Can anyone confirm?

·
Registered
2 Posts
All good info here. Another option that I used which required very little elbow grease and no flames:

Use a Dremel to cut the bolt if you can. I had a small cutting disc and was able to use it to cut on both sides of the bolt enough that I could eventually just snap it off. Took about 5 mins per bolt.
After that, I used a good 12mm deep well socket (didn't need deep well, but that's what I had) and attached it to a breaker bar and the bolt was no match for it. The breaker bar did the work. No flames needed, not much muscle, and the job was done in no time.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bolt broken need help

After I took the old 10mm bolts at the bottom of the struts out, I re-used the old bolts for the new struts.
Only problem is, when I tightened one of the bolts, one broke! :(
I overtightened one bolt and the largest part was already in the bolt socket, when it broke.
I removed an interior panel, to get to the bolt, but the gap was to small to reach it from the inside..
Has anyone experience on removing the bolt using a drill?

·
Registered
33 Posts
Finally had the time to drill out the piece of bolt that was stuck inside the socket, I now probably have got the only celica with three 6mm bolts and one 8mm bolt to hold up the trunk shocks..
Another mod done :p

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
This is a 1 hour job MAX - closer to half an hour. Just use plenty of heat and the old bolts turn like they're lubed.

Seriously.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Thanks for this write up. I ordered it from LiftSupportDepot which redirects to Mr. Lou's Stuff. I bought a butane lighter and could NOT for the life of my unscrew the bolt. I went with Plan B and used a hacksaw. If you're going this option I highly recommend the friend with arms, as the going back and forth motion of the saw may cause the plank or whatever support you're using to fall. When you DO cut through the bolt, make sure your friend is holding the trunk up sturdily! That thing is heavy! Almost took out a few fingers since I was doing it myself. Otherwise than that I was able to install both.

A 'problem' that I'm having now is that it's sort of hard to close the trunk initially, I have to pull down with a lot more force. Seems very stiff. Anyone else experiencing this?

·
Registered
4,466 Posts
Yep, I think the replacements are a bit tougher to pull down. It could be about not having to pull hard for a long time since it has been wearing out. But I think it's more that the new ones you buy today are a bit stiffer.

A butane lighter isn't really gonna cut it in my mind. Propane or map gas torch makes this job REALLY easy and you don't even have to apply the heat for too long.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.